INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 10 library not kept when upgrading to 11  (Read 1354 times)

nunisimo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
MC 10 library not kept when upgrading to 11
« on: February 13, 2005, 11:09:06 pm »

HI.

I installed mc 11 and duirng installation, i was asked if i wanted to remove mc 10 for space which i did.  during the installation of mc 10, i chose to just delete registry files and not library files.  the uninstall was successful and then installed mc 11 but it chose an older library i had and the most recent one i had was not kept. is there a way to get the mc 10 library i had back?

thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC 10 library not kept when upgrading to 11
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 05:49:05 am »

I hope you make library backups regularly since your library seems to be important for you. You can just restore your latest library backup to MC11.

If you didn't make library backups you should first blame yourself, but perhaps the library data is still on your HD in the MC10 library data folder and can be imported to MC11. I used the restore method so I don't have exact instructions to give for now, but you could start by locating the folder (if it exists).

I think we should have some official "How to upgrade safely" instructions from JRiver since more and more users are upgrading. The developers could start a new thread by giving basic instructions for typical MJ8, MC9 and MC10 users who have the default folder locations and other related settings.

A pinned thread might instantly prevent some problems and it would bring up possible bugs. The thread could be especially useful when it is time to launch MC11.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nunisimo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 08:16:26 am »

Thanks.

I'm usually good about backing these up but didn't think to do it for an upgrade.

I think this issue has to do with MC just backing up the "default" library before the install and not any renamed libray file.

As for restoring my library, I actually don't see a MC 10 folder.  I only see a MC folder with a backup libary of a few kb.  Any other ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 08:29:44 am »

Try a search for *.jmd files.

nunisimo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 04:38:15 pm »

HI.

I found one jmd file in the directory /media center but it appears to be the older one. 
Doesn't the libray database get updated during each use?

I currenlty see 2 directories now in the j river folder: /media center and /media center 11.
/Media center has a folder /upgrade backup with a file titled mc library backup but it's only 1kb.  There's another backup folder in this same dir but nothings in it.

Where should the old library be located?  What happened to the old libary when i upgraded?  How did the upgrade pick the old libary that it's currenlty using?
Pages: [1]   Go Up