INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11.0.220 won't start  (Read 1613 times)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
MC 11.0.220 won't start
« on: March 22, 2005, 08:20:20 am »

After a reboot, when I launch MC, I see it in task manager, but the GUI or a tray icon never appear.

Nothing else has been changed/installed/etc except for the install of .220

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
MC 11.0.220 won't start
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 08:41:17 am »

After a reboot, when I launch MC, I see it in task manager, but the GUI or a tray icon never appear.
Are you running Media Server?  That's what you would see if so.  A small part of MC runs in the background.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
MC 11.0.220 won't start
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 09:46:31 am »

Are you running Media Server?  That's what you would see if so.  A small part of MC runs in the background.
No, not running anything except MC.
But, a reinstall and another reboot and it has opened as usual 10+ times.

Can't reproduce it, can't be a problem then in my book.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had that.

Raises a good question for future use though. Do you mean if I run Media Server that MC will not work as a player on my system? Because that's what I had when I saw the problem. I could not launch MC to a state I could interact with it at all except to kill it via task manager.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
MC 11.0.220 won't start
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 10:27:17 am »

I could not launch MC to a state I could interact with it at all except to kill it via task manager.

I have, on occasion, had this happen... What I have found is that it typically occurs after MC stops responding (for whatever reason) and I have to "force close" the application.  After this, you can no longer get MC's GUI to open, though you can see the program running in task manager.  (For example when I had to kill MC - or it killed itself - due to the problems I was having with G-Force mentioned above!)

If you look in the services processes tab of the task manager (assuming you are running Win2k or XP and have this as an option) you will see a running service for MC.  Sorry, I'm not at a Windows machine right now so I can't tell you the exact name, but it is something obviously related.  If you end that process and then try to launch MC it should open up fine.

I believe what happens is that when MC crashes, the process gets "locked up" too,  but does not get killed when you kill the MC GUI through task manager.  When you try to re-launch MC it tries to launch or talk to it's process (which is not responding) and then can't launch the GUI.  Of course, who knows if this is what happened to you (since you didn't mention MC crashing at all before this problem manifested -- maybe you didn't even know that it had)... But if you ever have a similar problem, I would look for and kill the process if it's running still.  Of course, rebooting would solve the problem as well!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC 11.0.220 won't start
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 10:06:32 pm »

Hmmm, I am looking through the services and drivers right now and I see nothing that I recognize as an MC process. I do see things like DRM that would likely start with MC.

Anyway, I will look at processes and drivers next time and see what I find.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 09:21:37 am »

Just so you know, I initially misspoke when I said service (even though that's really what it is).  You want to look on the Processes tab of the Task Manager.  I looked last night, and the process is actually called Media Center.exe.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Stout

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 06:22:51 pm »

Now I have the very same problem. When klicking on Media Center 11 I see the mousepointer is changing for about 3-4 secs. but nothing is happening. If I went into taskmanager/processes tab and MC is there. I make a end process, it ends. I try to re-start MC but same thing's happening. I doesn't matter if I re-boot winxp same thin occur. I've been running  MC 11 without any startproblem until today.

I have an computer dedicated to MC11 running as a server. On this machine that won't start up MC I get the downloadlist from the server. Hmm maybe I should re-boot the server.. .. just did and nothing changes.

Do I have to uninstall MC11 and then re-install it again?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 09:56:41 pm »

Uninstall and removed the registry entries when you do.  Reboot and re-install.
Pages: [1]   Go Up