INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't install latest MC11 version  (Read 11559 times)

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
Can't install latest MC11 version
« on: April 01, 2005, 11:58:02 am »

At Jims request I'm reposting here.

When installing I get an error:

Failed the execute(Create Process) Windows Media Format Set up Program. Error Code 193. Cannot continue with Media Center installation.

(Is it coincidence that the error code is the same number as the version I'm upgrading from ?)

It downloads the file (whatever it is) before I get this.

I'm upgrading from .193

I have uninstalled and rebooted to no avail. Same error every time.

Reverted back to .193 no problem.

All help appreciated.

Media Center Registered 11.0.193 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2398 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2096 MB, Free - 1593 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2573 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2578 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: SONY     DVD RW DW-U18A     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:5  MaxSpeed:5  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive E: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Matthew

• World Citizen
Re: Can't install latest MC11 version
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 03:53:10 pm »

Impresive amount of memory.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 06:10:19 pm »

I am guessing, but you could try to reinstall Windows Media Player 10 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp

MC should not try to install Windows Media Format if it is already the latest.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 06:40:06 pm »

Does this help?

Beginning with build 211, we're distributing the new Windows Media 10 package, which is required for playing newer WM files.  This IS NOT Windows Media Player 10.  It's just the codecs for the next version of Windows Media.  They are backwards compatible.

As with any Microsoft change, this may create new problems we're not yet aware of, but we expect to be able to solve them as they come up.  Your patience will be appreciated.

Yaobing (of JRiver) has done a nice job of modifying our installer to handle all the cases and to arrive at as easy an experience as possible for end users.

Yaobing's notes follow here:

-------------------------------
The new MC installer (introduced in build 211) checks whether WM is already installed on the computer and whether it is WM10 or WM9 or even earlier.

It also checks the OS. 

If the OS is XP, the installer tries to install WM10 (WMF9.5 redistribution) if it is not already installed.

If the OS is not XP (Win98SE - W2k) the installer tries to install WM9 (WMF9 redistribution) if it is not already installed.

Currently checking of WM version already installed involves using WM API to enumerate latest supported audio codec. There are distinct versions of the codec for WM9 and WM10. If need arises we may supplement this method with additional methods in the future.

The Media Center package (installer) may or may not already have either or both versions of the WMF redistrution file included. The installer checks the unpacked folder for the appropriate version of WM. If the installer cannot find the required file, it goes to JRiver's server to download the file.

During downloading, the user can cancel (when having network trouble for instance) by clicking Cancel button on InstallWizard. This will cancel the entire MC installation.  After downloading is complete, the installer runs the WMF setup file in silent mode and waits for its completion. The user can no longer cancel from this point on.  However, there is a 30 minute time-out in the MC installer for the installation of WMF, for the unlikely event of the Microsoft setup program hanging.

After the WM setup program finishes, the MC installer checks the WM installation status, and quits if it has failed.  It also make notes whether rebooting is required. 

Windows Media 9.5 for XP
ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/tmp/wmfdist95.exe
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 01:30:35 am »

Thank you so much.

That did it - re-installing WMP10.

Back to MC at last.

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 07:32:36 pm »

It does not install on Windows Server 2003 with SP1.  (Tried 11.230 and 11.214) - error after download of Window Media Format.
I downloaded wmfdist95.exe and tried it - it says it can only be installed on XP.
I tried 11.196 and it installed just fine.
Is there a workaround  for the problem?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 08:39:18 pm »

Try this:

Windows Media 9.0 for Win98SE, ME, and 2000
ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/tmp/wmfdist90.exe

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 11:45:35 pm »

No Luck....
wmfdist90.exe installed succesfully, however 11.230 and 11.214 both still trying to get other one from server, so
installation fails.

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 12:30:38 am »

I might have found the reason:
Apparently W2K3 SP1 has some newer version of WM Player 10.
I unpacked wmfdist95.exe and trried to run setup (Apparently XP check happens only
in self extractor). It complained that newer version of WM Player
is installed. THat would be normal as WMP 9.5 is obviously lower version than 10.
However, I then tried to run WMP10 wmplayer.exe I got from WMP10 installation and got the following
wmplayer has the following version: 10.0.0.3646 while 10.0.0.3700 was expected.

I think MC checks some version and triggers the download and attempts to install WMP 9.5 while it does not have to.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 06:41:23 am »

WMF9.5 codecs are used with WMP10 on XP (there's no WMP9.5). WMP9 is the newest Media Player for 98SE/ME/W2k and WMF9.0 is for those platforms.

Server 2003 (SP1) seems to be somehow different. I don't have it, but I checked the MS site. I didn't find a clear answer to this. My best guess is that you could try to install the latest versions from MS site.

I think Yaobing (of JRiver) will soon try to work this out with you.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 01:53:46 pm »

Error code 193 means the program that we try to run (WMF90.exe) is "not a valid Win32 program". There are two possibilities:

1. the download of WMF90.exe is corrupt somehow.

2. Microsoft did not use the correct error code. What they really meant was "the program is not suitable for installation on this operating system".

The first possibility is unlikely because you tried multiple times it still failed. The second is a more likely the reason.  Microsoft clearly stated that WMF95.exe is for Window XP only, that is fine. Microsoft lists a number of OS's for WMF90.exe, and the list does not include Windows Server 2003 family.

Maybe for Server 2003 there is something else we should try to install. What I will try to do for now is to make sure we do not try to install either version if it appears that WMP10 has been installed.

Yaobing
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 03:14:16 pm »

Error code 193 means the program that we try to run (WMF90.exe) is "not a valid Win32 program".

Yaobing,

mindracing experienced the error code 193, but he has XP and already got the problem resolved.

alexgit has Server 2003 SP1, but he didn't write about error codes.

:)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 07:45:19 pm »

Yaobing,

mindracing experienced the error code 193, but he has XP and already got the problem resolved.

alexgit has Server 2003 SP1, but he didn't write about error codes.

:)
I should have read them more carefully. Thanks for the clarification.

Still Windows Server 2003 seems to be tricky to deal with. Hopefully in the next release (maybe build 231, if not, the next one) the problem is gone - I have made sure that the installer does not  attempt to install anything if WMP10 is already installed.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 12:22:40 am »

11.231 Installs ok!
Thank you, Yaobing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up