INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain with UPnP Server  (Read 2727 times)

Myron

• World Citizen
Replay Gain with UPnP Server
« on: April 17, 2005, 06:46:24 pm »

Can Replay Gain be used for UPnP streams?  If so, how?

If not, is it possible to add this feature?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Replay Gain with UPnP Server
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 06:30:53 am »

I don't think it is possible because when using Replay Gain the volume is adjusted during playback. UPnP server sends audio files in the original file formats (or files converted on the fly), not decoded audio data. Though, in theory MC could have an option for using DSP when converting files on the fly.

If that is a big problem and your files are in mp3 format you may want check this utility: MP3Gain. It calculates replay gain and makes the changes inside the mp3 files.

After using MP3Gain replay gain will be corrected with any device or software, also in MC without its Replay Gain. In case you still like to use MC's Replay Gain for global adjustments you should reanalyze your files with MC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 08:18:26 am »

Alex,

Thanks for the suggestions.

All my files are WAV format, so MP3 Gain won't help.  Additionally, I don't want to modify my files to ensure that there's no loss in fidelity.  For critial listening I'll usually play multiple tracks from a given album, so Replay Gain is not required.  For parties or background music I use playlists, so Replay Gain would be a big help.  Bottom line is that I'd like to be able to choose when it's used.

I was hoping that MC could apply Replay Gain to the UPnP stream  in the same way it can convert formats on-the-fly.  The gain function is almost trivial compared to encoding, so it should be feasible.

One idea I had was to allow DSP settings to be controlled by Playlists.  The user could select current global settings or specify custom settings for each playlist.  How crazy is this?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 11:13:25 am »

Myron, I'll look at this...

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up