INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The best way to run a MC server  (Read 1760 times)

Stout

• Recent member
The best way to run a MC server
« on: May 25, 2005, 05:35:47 pm »

I just bought MC 11. I've been testing MC10 for a while but never played around with the server utility.

I have a PC 100% dedicated to my mp3's, nothing more exept for the OS (not even Media Center).

I have four computers connected to a network via a Netlink switch and a router. All of them running Media Center and a individual libraries  from the mp3-computer.

I installed Media Center on all of my computers and simply mapped a network drive to the mp3-computer to get access. So now to the subject:

Which is the best way to get it all up and running.
Is it to install Media Center on the mp3-computer and then run the other tree as clients?

Hmmm.... as the mp3 computer is on 24/7 i bet the best solution is to have Media Center on that computer and run is as a server? But can I do the editing from other computers?

Or should I run it on my "primary-computer" the one I use most and map the mp3-computer and let the the two other computers run as clients to my primary computer?

I am confused as the problem right now is that if I insert more songs, I have to update all computers libraries manually. I would like to have it the way that if I expand the library all computers will automatically get updated.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: The best way to run a MC server
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 06:07:48 pm »

Here is my answer from another thread. Perhaps it has something useful for you.

I have done this:

Currently I use my HTPC as a file server. It has these local media folders:
- Music archive: "D:\Music" - substituted with the drive letter "X:" (I have a bat file in the startup folder for that)
- Video & images archive: "E:\Video" - substituted with "Y:"
- Rip, DL, unfinished tagging, temp stuff: "E:\Rip" - substituted with "Z:"

The whole media library is imported from the virtual X, Y and Z drives and my default cover art folder is "X:\_Images".

"D:\Music" is shared on the file server PC and mapped to "X:" on other PCs.
"E:\Video" is shared on the file server PC and mapped to "Y:" on other PCs.
"E:\Rip" is shared on the file server PC and mapped to "Z:" on other PCs.

Whenever I have made changes to my library I make a library backup to "Z:\_MCBU" (the underscore makes it to show up first in alphabetical folder lists, thus faster to access).

Normally I use the Library Server & clients, but when I need to change anything in my library, rip, convert, copy or burn I can do it with any of my PCs. I change from the client mode to a local library and pick up the latest backup before starting. All PCs use identical local libraries. Any of the PCs can run the Library Server.

Afterwards I just have to restore the newest library backup on the PC that runs the Library Server if I have made changes elsewhere. That doesn't have to be instant if the changes are minor.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 02:25:48 am »

Just curious.

If all 'nodes' are PCs, all are networked, and the media is on shared drives that all PCs have access to, what advantage is there to running a server and clients?

It would seem to be just as effective to restore a new library to each PC when changes are made and run each PC as a 'standalone' MC.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 05:20:57 am »

Just curious.

If all 'nodes' are PCs, all are networked, and the media is on shared drives that all PCs have access to, what advantage is there to running a server and clients?

It would seem to be just as effective to restore a new library to each PC when changes are made and run each PC as a 'standalone' MC.

I think there are some advantages.

The global playcount is one of them. The server MC keeps track of the number of plays. Though, some users might prefer personal playcounts.

Another one is safety. Inexperienced users can't mess up the library if they are normally using the client mode.

Also, the users must intentionally change to the local library before making changes, so it is more likely that the most recent library gets restored first. Besides, if the changes are usually made with one "server" PC there is no need for constant library restores on the clients.

Personally I use the modes about 50/50. It's nice to have this freedom of choice.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 07:11:56 am »

I have the same situation that Stout brought up. I keep my main computer connected to do any updates. So far I've just been doing a library backup/restore for the other computers. Out of the 3 others, I only have one semi-knowledgeable person. The problem with doing the restore on hers is that she loses any playlists she created and gets mine instead, plus the playcount as Alex mentioned.

The one thing I don't want is her or any of the other computers modifying any of the MP3 files.
Jeff

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 08:50:04 am »

See? I learn something new sometimes.

The only plus I see is tracking the play count and preventing changes to the files.

A benefit of not having children is not worrying about others deleting files, etc.

Wait 'til I tell Mom!

Stout

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 05:01:39 pm »

GHammer: The reason for trying the server funcion was that I have two daughers 14 and 10 years old. Because I am the one that supply them with songs I got tired running up on their rooms and update their libraries every day  :)

dcwebman: I am up and running now and it works just the way I wanted it to work.

I deleted all libraries on all computers. Installed MediaCenter on the mp3-dedicated computer, imported all songs and started the Media server on it. The other three computers runs as clients to the mp3-computer. I also changed the sharepermissions on two of the computers to read only, concerning MediaCenter and gave them a sharingfolder with full control so they can copy all their songs to that folder and after that (when I am in mood  ;D) I sort them out and copy them to the mp3-computer. There might be better ways but this one is as easy as it gets.

dcwebman

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 05:22:06 pm »

That sounds like a good solution. Thanks for updating with it.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up