INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Failed to find local media server...  (Read 2567 times)

Mangy Varmit

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Failed to find local media server...
« on: May 29, 2005, 01:10:57 am »

I have the latest .279 release installed on 2 WinXP Sp2 machines. One is running Library Server on port 80. The other is unable to find the server when I do a Library...Search for Media Servers.

Each machine can see each other's shared folders in Explorer. I have Windows Firewall disabled on both (I'm behind a hardware router). What else can I do to troubleshoot?

Thanks.

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Failed to find local media server...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 08:53:08 am »

I started having a similar issue in .278...it worked for me in .276.  See http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27830.0.  Is .279 the first build you installed (or tried it with)?

-J

Mangy Varmit

• Recent member
Able to see server now, but not all content
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 11:22:00 am »

Based on your linked post and some other searching, I realized I could go into Library Manager and manually specify an IP:port. I set it and my client now sees served content.

However, I am unable to see all my content, videos specifically. None of my .mov's (taken with my Olympus digital camera) are showing up on the client, although they play in Media Center on the server machine just fine.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 03:37:14 pm »

MOVs will not work, sorry. The QuickTime engine doesn't support our streaming protocol.

j

Mangy Varmit

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 05:16:19 pm »

MOVs will not work, sorry. The QuickTime engine doesn't support our streaming protocol.

j

Bummer, most of the vids the kids want to watch on the TV are MOVs. Can I set up Media Center to see a Library Server's content, and also have its own local content? Or some other solution? Otherwise I'll either need to do some type of batch re-encoding of the MOVs to another format (possible?) or use a different application altogether.

Pegase64

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 12:29:51 pm »

Can I set up Media Center to see a Library Server's content, and also have its own local content? Or some other solution?

Just make your .mov folder shared.

Then on your MediaCenter on player, import media from this shared folder. You can make the same for your music and pictures folders.

On your MediaCenter player, you'll got a library without need of Library server and its streaming process.

Friendly

Pegase64

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 05:16:00 pm »

I'm having this problem as well.  But it is with a new machine on the network and I need to be clear of something first.  Question - is Media Server functionality disabled when running the 30-day demo version?

Here's my setup. 

Client machine
XP Home
licensed - v279

Server Machine
XP Pro
unlicensed - v280

I can access shared drives both ways and I am behind a router.  All Firewalls behind the router are disabled.  The other curious thing is that when I make the client the server, I can access it from the server machine (running as a client).  But the other way around does not work.

Is this a problem with 280?  Or a licensing problem, or something else?

Chris

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 07:19:46 pm »

Question - is Media Server functionality disabled when running the 30-day demo version?
No, but it is Library Server in MC11.  It's in the tree under plug-ins.  There's info on how to run it in MC's Help.

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 09:13:19 pm »

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I am running the library server plug-in.  I have also updated my client to build 280.  I have also tried to connect using the server's IP address.  Still no go.  I can ping the address.  I shouldn't have to do this since the two machines are on the same subnet.

Chris

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 12:55:04 am »

I'm finally able to connect my client to the server.  The trick seemed to be shutting down the client and then starting it back up again.  But I did notice an error on the server side.

It was a Visual C++ runtime error.  Buffer Overrun detected!

The album I selected continues to play until I press OK on the error message which suts down the server.

Chris

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 07:01:07 pm »

I've updated the client and server to 282.  As long as I launch the client after starting the server, it seems to connect and play fine. 

Chris

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 10:56:01 am »

Correct - the server MUST be running first.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up