INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: How About A "Feature Request" Board?  (Read 1756 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: How About A "Feature Request" Board?
« on: June 17, 2005, 11:31:51 am »

Why not?  A whole board devoted to our wish lists.  Each idea would then get its own thread, instead of getting lost like they do now.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature Request: How About A "Feature Request" Board?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 12:06:33 pm »

Oh boy.

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 12:14:51 pm »

Oh come on.  It would make your life easier.  The madness to the methodology is that  you'd know for sure which were the most popular ideas, those that floated to the top.  The rest of them could wait.  That's what you seem to be doing now, why not systematize it? 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 12:17:46 pm »

Oh come on.  It would make your life easier. 
Honest?

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 12:55:24 pm »

Oh come on. It would make your life easier. The madness to the methodology is that you'd know for sure which were the most popular ideas, those that floated to the top.

Equally likely that the top threads would be the ones where opinion was most divided. In fact this thread may make it to the top if enough people disagree which would be pretty cool in a self referential kind of way...

An alternative is using the polling feature of the board. Then you get many posts saying 'you missed out option X', or 'hey what about option X with added Y?'. You get no clarity.

There used to be a 'wishlist' page a bit like you suggest - it didnt really work.

I think most of this stems from our desire to know whats happening. And it gets frustrating if you have a personal favourite. Many times suggestions seem to get the thumbs up from Jim but dont appear for ages or ever - yet (like some of the photo/web uploading stuff). Then they crop up again from other posters. Thats OK, its understandable that JRiver cant always commit to delivering new features until they are ready to do so. Its not a democracy. It'd be great to have a roadmap so we know exactly what the future holds, but it isnt going to happen I suspect.

The threads I like are when Jim asks 'what would we like to see improved about photo editing/handheld support/whatever'. You get the sense that work is going to happen, even if it doesnt always appear quickly, and you get focused suggestions. I think there might be a case for a sticky 'Before you ask for new feature, check this list of the most recent active suggestion threads first', which might keep the boards top concerns up there.

This has come up so many times - sometimes I think it would be a good idea myself - but its unlikely to happen. Im not an expert, but is there an example of a proven system for suggestions that works for user and developer?

Actually, you could rename media center.exe to .mp3 and get MC to play itself. Waaaay self referential... :)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 02:57:19 pm »

I don't know. It works for some apps I use. There is a 'Coming Soon" sticky of what the devs think is a good  idea for next build. There is a "Not Going To Happen" sticky of things the devs just aren't going to do, don't ask.
And then there are posts of "You just gotta add milkpaste detection to the deletion key". Nothing except the stickys stays more than 45 days so it is 'easy' for the devs to check in and see what silly things have been suggested. And it's easy enough for users to see what has ben requested and not make 47 threads all on the same subject.

As for a poll, the only one I've ever thought was useful (to users) is the Firefox problem voting. You know, the users vote on what they'd like to see fixed. Gives the devs an idea of what the users think is important. Which I think is a good idea.

But run of the mill polls? Naaah, not much use for them. Easy to click the "Yes I want it" button.

So, in the end, would I like to see this forum here? Yes, give it a try. I'll bet forums can be deleted or hidden if it just doesn't work out.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 04:26:08 pm »

I think its a nice idea for organization purposes.
Tamer

jgreen

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 12:50:45 pm »

JimH--
Imagine all the feature requests you could move to the Feature Request Board, if only you had a Feature Request board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up