INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Incomplete Shutdown Message  (Read 2578 times)

Lou

Incomplete Shutdown Message
« on: July 11, 2005, 08:26:22 pm »

I have been seeing the "Incomplete Shutdown Detected" in MC11 since builds ~ > 297.  This seems to occur any time I use the advanced power options of XP to power off the PC or if I use the task manager to shut down Media Center.  The problem is that when I use this method to shut down MC, it isn't doing anything.

I use MC11 on an audiophile grade media center with no monitor connected.  In the past I have been able to hit the power button on the front chasis of the Media Center PC,  and have XP's advanced power options safely exit all running apps, and shutdown the PC. 

When Media Center 11 exists in the above manner, it reports the shutdown as a crash and the Incomplete Shutdown Detected dialog box appears on next start up.  From a usabilit perspective, this behaviour is simply unacceptable.  Every time I power up the Media Center PC, Media Center sits at that dialog, and never connects to the Media Library.

Is there any way to disable the Incomplete Shutdown Detected Dialog for shutdowns that are intentionally done by the power switch?   Currently, the only remedy I have is to down-grade to build 197, which I dont really want to do.

Please advise.

BTW other than this one annoyance MC11 is a great product.  I would like to know if this is something that will be fixed in a future build, or if I have to stay back at B197.

Thanks,

Lou.

Thanks.

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center 11.0.306 Release
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 11:12:06 pm »

I am experiencing a similar problem with the same message: "Incomplete Shutdown Detected". I hope this will be fixed soon. Got it the same time Lou did.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 02:08:26 am »

I am experiencing a similar problem with the same message: "Incomplete Shutdown Detected". I hope this will be fixed soon. Got it the same time Lou did.

same here, i've downgraded to 11.297

Uwe

Lou

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 06:34:54 am »

same here, i've downgraded to 11.297

Uwe

I have downgraded to build 297 and the "incomplete shutdown" dialog upon reboot does not occur (which is a good thing).  Hopefully this issue is fixed in a future build  ;D

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
Re: Incomplete Shutdown Message
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 11:25:57 am »

:-[
I also go back to 297, sadly it not switching off leaves itself.  A good place for it would be the Debug options.
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 02:05:09 pm »

I've got to agree.  Every so often I crash MC by trying to play "sketchy" media (mostly Quicktime or Real files).  Its annoying to have to remember to uncheck each of the little boxes when starting MC back up, or else it gets all "wonked" (and impossible to train my wife to do it).

I think a better plan than adding an option (we always want them to add new options) would be to simply add a command line switch to MC that starts it in "Safe Mode" (which would give you the options we currently get after a crash).  Then you could add a shortcut to the Start Menu items for this "Safe Mode" MC that resets the options which would still help users who somehow messed up their settings, but not ruin the settings for the rest of us...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 03:18:03 pm »

We plan to change this process in a build or two, so please be patient. 

modelmaker

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 04:49:58 pm »

Thanks! :)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up