INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPnP Server wish list  (Read 4022 times)

Myron

• World Citizen
UPnP Server wish list
« on: July 20, 2005, 11:02:34 am »

Now that MC 11 has been released, I thought I'd put out a wish list for new and or improved functions in the UPnP server.  Some of these may already work on some media players, but don't work on the Streamium.  Others have been mentioned but are not yet implemented.  Here it is in my own prioritized order:

1)  Alphanumeric search capability  (this one will really help with the Streamium, due to it's navigation bugs)
2)  Enable / disable shuffle mode from the media player
3)  DSP functionality for UPnP streams  (replay gain is clearly the most important function here)
4)  Internet radio support (still doesn't work with the Streamium)
5)  Display artist and name on media player for internet radio streams
6)  Better control of randomization in smartlists (Currently the playlsit is randomized at each track change.  This is acceptable but it would be nice to select between one randomization at the start of the playlist and the current implementation)
7)  Cover art support

Suggestions from other users?

Any comments from J River on feasibility and timing would be appreciated.

TIA

P.S.  Internet radio does work on the Streamium with at least one third party UPnP server I know of - namely Cidero UPnP control point / Internet Radio Server software: http://www.cidero.com/  Perhaps observing how this SW runs with the Streamium could provide some clues.

SuperRabbit0

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: UPnP Server wish list
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 04:26:11 pm »

You know, the UPnP server has been working almost flawlessly for me with my MP101 for the past month or so.  Never loses connection.  Works great.

On my MP101 I can enable/disable shuffle on the player.  I can also search on some views using the alphanumeric search.  Not sure if that is MP101-specific though.

My 2 main requests would be:

1) Support for the Artist/Genre/Playlist... buttons on the MP101 remote.
2) Quicker response.  This server is still much slower than Twonkyvision to scroll through lists.

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 07:46:01 pm »

You know, the UPnP server has been working almost flawlessly for me with my MP101 for the past month or so.  Never loses connection.  Works great.

Same here for my Streamium. The functions that work are flawless.  I'm quite happy with the speed of the server.

Didn't mean to imply anything negative just thinking out loud....

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 10:15:10 pm »

Nice suggestions y'all (even the server speed one :) ), this is fun and cool stuff, and I work on it as much as I can. A lot of these ideas are already half implemented, and just need follow through, so they may show up soon. Keep the ideas coming...

j

dcpete

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 10:38:30 am »

Support for artist/album name on the MacSense HomePod.  The song title is the only thing that shows up now.  Otherwise, the latest UPnP server has been working very well with the HomePod - including playlists.

Chris

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 11:08:52 am »

Another satisfied MP101 user here.

I agree with wanting the genre/artist/playlist button functions.

Also would love to be able to rate songs using the numeric keys on the MP101's remote.
(Yes, I realize that would require write access to the database and is a whole new can of worms.)

We use the MP101 to play music poolside.  Often new songs that I haven't listened to before are played while we're outside and I often catch myself thinking "Gee, I wish I could rate that song right now".   I keep the remote handy in a waterproof bag for the track skip feature and could just as easily rate a track from the comfort of my floating chair  8)

dees_74

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 08:27:59 am »

I'd like Omnifi DMS1 support ASAP! :)

You have a terrific product and I am DYING to use MC's server on my Omnifi
Thanks!!!
I don't need a thousand reasons
When someone starts to cry.
When someone says, "My heart needs lifting,
Don't ask, "How come?"
Ask, "How high?"

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 06:47:04 pm »

Also would love to be able to rate songs using the numeric keys on the MP101's remote.
(Yes, I realize that would require write access to the database and is a whole new can of worms.)

Ditto for rating via remote.  Use Case:

User shuffles large number of songs
A song plays the user really likes and has not heard before
User hits button to rate it 4 star
Song is automagically added to user's 4-star smartlist

I have the MacSense HomePod and the Roku.  I can actually write the client side software that receives the IR command and issues the rating to MC, but MC has to enable remote tagging -- or at least just remote tagging for ratings.

I would love to have this feature.

CampbellR66

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 06:11:09 am »

Please add UPnP AV support for multiple UPnP AV devices at the same time
 eg.
DSM-320, Stremium Sl50i and SL300i plus Showtime player

Please add a UPnP AV control point and renderer to the MC product

Cheers

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 10:14:33 am »

Add another user who would love to rate songs while listening and using the UPnP player.

I suppose the same fix would also allow you to add the song to the MC playlists too, which is kind of the same wish. 

You'd have the luxury after downloading or ripping an album of going to your stereo, sitting on the couch, and doing all the rating/playlist work.  Right now, I have to do this at the computer, usually while paying bills.  Bleh.

One follow-up question: Will the little boxes like the Streamium and the Roku become unnecessary?  The new Denon receiver has an ethernet port.  According to cnet, "For still more digital-music goodness, the AVR-4306 sports an Ethernet port that can connect to your home network. The receiver can stream Internet radio and MP3/WMA files from a networked PC (or DLNA-compliant network storage device), though any DRM/copyright-protected files are off limits. The network port also lets you control the 4306 from any standard Web browser on your home network--just type in the IP address and you get a text-based menu that duplicates most of the control and setup options without the need to install any pesky software." (here's the link: http://reviews.cnet.com/Denon_AVR_4306_AV_receiver_7_1_channel/4505-6466_7-31736750-4.html?tag=nav). 

I guess the problem with this is that you can't select the songs that play on the Denon unless you are sitting at your computer.

I read in another posting that JimH is tinkering with some kind of Linux box that will do these kinds of things.  Let me say that as a consumer, I believe there are lots of us who are ready to plop down some bucks to play the music on our computers on our stereos.  For whatever reason, the existing systems (Roku, Sonos, etc) can't get all the features right by combining digital outputs, simultaneous multizone playing, etc.  I'm too much of a coward/idiot to do the things that other posters do with laptops and programmable remotes, so here I sit still using the Tivo server.  So will someone please build and sell the thing I want, because I will buy it.

johnh

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 02:35:02 pm »

Using MP101. Overall good performance. Sometimes songs just stop in the middle, and then the next song starts.

My major request would be:
After (re)starting the MP101,  I would it to continue were it stopped last time.
Let's call it a Playing Now for the each UPnP device  ;D
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up