INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: G-Force problem  (Read 8728 times)

skylarplane

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
G-Force problem
« on: July 20, 2005, 10:23:50 am »

Just downloaded G-Force and it crashed my MC11.  I had to delete all G-Force and reinstall MC11 for it to come up.

Skylar 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
G-Force 3.01 problem
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 04:39:48 pm »

Just downloaded G-Force and it crashed my MC11.  I had to delete all G-Force and reinstall MC11 for it to come up.

G-Force 3.01 Platinum works just fine for me.  Pretty weird!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

modelmaker

Re: G-Force problem
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 05:10:55 pm »

works fine for me too, except I still don't get album covers.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Valisystem

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 12:49:25 am »

FWIW, I occasionally had the same problem with a crash when I clicked on the visualization button after I installed GForce 3.01. Then last night MC crashed each time I went to play a song, with an error in a GForce DLL. At the time, GForce was probably set as the visualization in Playing Now, although the crash happened without Playing Now ever being displayed on screen. Nothing like that had ever happened during the previous week that I'd been happily using 3.01. I didn't try very hard to track it down - no time. Took off GForce 3.01 for the moment. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone.

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 09:06:25 am »

By any chance are you using Stardock IconPackager?  If so, uninstall it and GForce won't crash on you anymore.  I'm not going to go into more detail unless this applies to you. 

Tor

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 12:26:15 pm »

I had the same problem. MC crashed every time I started a new song in library with a gforce dll error using 3.0.1. However I got it to work after first starting a song while in playing now mode in stead of the library. Seems that gforce has a problem starting in the background??..

Bluey

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 04:17:46 pm »

Gforce crashes latest MC11 when I try and select the viz with right clicking on the playing now portion to select it.  There is really something wrong between Gforce and MC11.

Bluey.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 04:29:57 pm »

By any chance are you using Stardock IconPackager?  If so, uninstall it and GForce won't crash on you anymore.  I'm not going to go into more detail unless this applies to you. 

That explains my problem. Only thing is, the uninstaller is broken. Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 05:22:39 pm »

Sometimes installing again will correct the problems that an uninstall is encountering.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 07:28:56 am »

This problem just popped up on my machine...

I re-installed GForce Platinum 3.01...and it's fine again...weird...oh well if it works I be happy...

Cheers
Rob

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 09:18:04 am »

I've found that removing it from Start-up and rebooting fixes this problem.

Why does G-Force not work when playing m4p files? What can I convert them to - AAC using iTunes? Will this have the visualisation work?

andy55

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 05:44:16 pm »

Hey guys...   It looks like there's definitely an issue with the 3.0.1 MC glue.  If G-Force is crashing on you, please check out http://forums.soundspectrum.com/viewtopic.php?t=599 and email a crash report to me so I can figure out what's going on.  Once I get a couple crash reports, I should be able to turn around a fix within a couple days.  Thanks in advance and for being patient!!

Andy

EDIT:  Ok, I've found the problem...  The good news it that there was in fact an issue causing the crash in G-Force 3.0.1 and it's been fixed and reposted at http://soundspectrum.com .   The bad news is the reason why this problem was showing up in the first place in MC11.  MC11 (11.0.309 for me) loads all visual plugins at the drop of a hat, it seems.  For example, start playing a track, select the "Now Playing" heading, right-click in the vis area, and hold your mouse over the "Display" menu item--MC11 will internally fully load and instantiate *every* visual plugin just to populate the "Display" submenu contents (G-Force was crashing because MC11 passes the plugins a 0,0-sized window when it does this). 

Right after I posted the new versions, I wrote Matt Ashland on this issue, so I'm sure he'll look into this when time permits. I'm guessing it's unintended for MC11 to be loading visual plugins unnecessarily, but until it's changed, MC11 will have a pretty beefy transient resources footprint.

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 06:25:08 pm »

Hey guys...   It looks like there's definitely an issue with the 3.0.1 MC glue.  If G-Force is crashing on you, please check out http://forums.soundspectrum.com/viewtopic.php?t=599 and email a crash report to me so I can figure out what's going on.  Once I get a couple crash reports, I should be able to turn around a fix within a couple days.  Thanks in advance and for being patient!!

Andy

I have send you a crash report, Andy
A day without laughing is a day without living

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 09:05:02 am »

Andy

EDIT:  Ok, I've found the problem...  The good news it that there was in fact an issue causing the crash in G-Force 3.0.1 and it's been fixed and reposted at http://soundspectrum.com .   The bad news is the reason why this problem was showing up in the first place in MC11.  MC11 (11.0.309 for me) loads all visual plugins at the drop of a hat, it seems.  For example, start playing a track, select the "Now Playing" heading, right-click in the vis area, and hold your mouse over the "Display" menu item--MC11 will internally fully load and instantiate *every* visual plugin just to populate the "Display" submenu contents (G-Force was crashing because MC11 passes the plugins a 0,0-sized window when it does this). 

Right after I posted the new versions, I wrote Matt Ashland on this issue, so I'm sure he'll look into this when time permits. I'm guessing it's unintended for MC11 to be loading visual plugins unnecessarily, but until it's changed, MC11 will have a pretty beefy resources footprint.

The new version 3.0.1 of G-Force has solved the crashing problem.
Thanks Andy!!
A day without laughing is a day without living

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 09:49:15 am »

I'll post the same reply I sent to Andy here:

Hi Andy.

The display menu is only built when it's shown.  To get a list of modes that a plugin supports, we create the plugin and ask it.  It should get unloaded afterwards.

I'll agree that it isn't ideal, but the alternative was to change the architecture -- something we didn't want to do unless we had to.

Since MC 11.0 is released, let's revisit this in MC 11.1.  It may be as simple as not doing this for some plugins that don't have any submodes. (like G-Force)

Thanks Andy,
-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up