INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wirelessly connect my stereo to my laptop - A solution!  (Read 8744 times)

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Wirelessly connect my stereo to my laptop - A solution!
« on: September 12, 2005, 12:17:30 am »

Hi,
  After many many many hours of looking (bother here and on the net) for a way to get MC to do what Apple iTunes has so easily done with the Airport, ie. have my laptop running MC pump out the audio wirelessly at another location...I am getting close to giving up.

I don't even mind spending $$$'s...but there just is not ANY solution that even comes close to wires!

I call on the collective wisdom here for help.

Why should this be so hard!!! I see a squillion post asking for this appently simple thing and no one (except apple and only if you use iTunes)can do it on a PC!!!! (yes, I am aware of the hach by Jon Johansen for the airport http://nanocrew.net/software/justeport/ , but it does not work for MP3's (all my music is ripped as MP3's via EAC using -extreme flag so i would rather not have any more loss) and I can't work out how to integrate it into MC anyway).

The current options seem to be
1) use as FM transmitter and put up with degraded audio (caps out at about 15kHz) http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/6f4e/

2) Set up some convoluted streaming using Shoutcast/Icecast, Winamp, MC via line in and again put up with degraded sound due to transcoding from Mp3->WAV/RAW->MP3 or AAC...not to mention the cpu loading

3) use a bluetooth solution...
Can't use this one as it's too big......http://www.bluetake.com/products/BT460EX.htm
This is not out yet...http://www.xterasys.com/bsr202_images.htm
This looks good though I can not find where to buy it...I've e-mailed them...http://www.air2u.com.tw/htm/p_hifi_mcr02.htm
Perhaps I could just hack up a pair of headphones http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/08/toshiba_bluetoo.html

4) find some way to stream mp3 from MC to a ethernet media device like say the Netgear MP101 withough re/transcoding. What is required here is that when I play a song in MC on my lapyop, that song (also) streams and is picked up and played through the ethernet media device.....Hmmm this one might be the go....

I wonder....Can I somehow get MC to send a command to the media device (say a Squeezebox2) with the name of the file that is playing now in MC and have so get the media device to play it...Hmmm...this might work....

Can anyone comment on the above - specifically how I might achieve option 4 in MC?

Seems absolutely rediculous though to have to go to all this trouble just to use the most excellent MC interface on my laptop but have the audio play wirelessly through my stereo!!!  I would have thought that this would be a classic oportunity to keep the signal digital and so preserve the quality. But I guess people either like klunky interfaces (ie. media players like the Netgear MP101) or they like wires.

Can people please help me out with some recomendations here? Please...pretty please? I have the money, honest I do...

Thanks.

NickM

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
Re: Wirelessly connect my stereo to my laptop - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 06:15:59 am »

I do this two ways...

First, as you have hinted at, with a SqueezeBox.  The server Service runs on any PC and just needs read-only access to the music folders.  It is so simple to use and the only downside is the lack of coverart - although I am told the next SlimDevice will handle this.

The second way is to have another PC next to your Hi-Fi.  This can act one of two ways; either as a glorified player, reading from a central MC server,  or as a standalone MC, reading from a central music shared directory.

There are plusses and minuses to each of these....

nick

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 06:53:39 am »

Thanks for the reply...unfortunately it's not really answering my question...

"After many many many hours of looking (bother here and on the net) for a way to get MC to do what Apple iTunes has so easily done with the Airport, ie. have my laptop running MC pump out the audio wirelessly at another location...I am getting close to giving up."

1) Squeezbox runs as a "pull" not "push" server. It reads from a central file server and is controled via a web or IR remote/VFD interface...not what I want. I want to use MC.
2) Putting the laptop/tablet pc beside and wired up to the stereo kind of defeats the purpose of having a tablet PC or laptop don't you think? (btw. this is what I have at the moment..a lounge pc with an LCD hardwired to the stereo via cables...I want wireless from my laptop/tablet pc)

Oh and VNC/PC anywhere etc is not a good solution.

Thanks for the response though...any other thoughts/suggestions?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 11:24:22 am »

I use the MP101 at home. Run the UPnP server to feed it, it works via wireless or ethernet.

j

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 03:06:00 pm »

John,
   Interesting...How do you select songs to play? etc....

a) If it's from the MP101 interface, then again, this is not what I want (I want to use MC as the interface on my laptop but have the misic play through the media device - in this case the MP101),

b)but if you select the tracks in MC (and press play and they start playing via the MP101) then this IS what I want...and how di you do it as I thought the MP101 was a "pull" style box that just used UPnP to accesss files via MC server...

Or have you tweeked it somehow to work like b) above?

Thanks.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 03:51:22 pm »

Ok, I understand better. I use the MP101 remote control (my MP101 is in the basement, my server on the first floor, I don't want to run upstairs to change the music). I can't think of an easy way to do this...

j

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 06:48:37 pm »

Ok...I really want to realise the MC promise of "Connect all your toys" and "All media - one interface"...and this is what that means to me.

So...John and other guru type people...

My current line of thinking is this....
Write a plug-in/mod for MC that will send commands to the remote media box when something happens in MC (ie. I play a tune, press stop, pause etc...)
The cammand may to instruct the box to "be to play this file", or "play this playlist" or "pause" etc.

I understand, for example the, Squeezebox has a flexable/programmable command interface that is addressable over IP...but I'd likely require some coding there too.

Before I delve into the mystic world of MC programming, how easy would it be to get MC to do this? (ie. pass track name/ playing now playlist info. button presses etc. to a external program? Any suggestions on where to start?

I know of 3 others over at the Squeezebox forum who are also seeking this functionality...I'd even be prepared to pay some $'s for a working script!  That's how keen I am.

Thanks again for your support on this.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 07:59:56 pm »

I think the only way to do this is probably for MC build their own media streamer hardware,  There is some software that allows any audio source to played from your  computer to the Airport express, but it is only available for Mac.  Don't know if it can be done for PC.  I currently use MC for browsing and then send those songs to Itunes in a new playlsit.  I am actually using 3 programs to do this so it hogs down my laptop, but does the job overall.  This is very cumbersome but not too bad considering it is better than getting up and poping in a CD.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 11:18:14 pm »

datdude...you know what I mean then :)

Ok, I'll heep going at it to find a solution.

However in the background....

I think the best compromise at the moment is to go with streaming and take the quality hit introduced through decoding/re-encoding on the laptop ...Bummer!

Now, how to get the best quality solution...might give Vypress Tonecast a try...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 04:27:30 am »

Why not use a PC thats hooked up to a stereo and RDP to it from your laptop ? You dont need to have a monitor attached and it can stay up 24x7 if you're on XP and keep it clean.

Can also Pipe the music back over RDP to your laptop. Note that i said RDP, not pc anywhere or VNC, if you are windows all the way, this is the best. If you have earphones attached you are sorted. MC interface and all. All your media in one place. Stereo needs to  be close/wired to PC.

If you have your media on the laptop and want to play directly from it to a separate sound system that is near by, there might be the problem you mention.

did i miss the entire point fo your post davros :)

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 07:02:00 am »

Yep...you got the idea. ;D

But I still don't like remote desktop software, but you got the concept.

I tried tonecast and if I can just get it to work, it looks like it's just what I need...RAWPCM streaming over ethernet (uses up 1.4Mbit)...but there's plenty of room left in the 54Mbit wireless.

Just can't get it to actually work.... ?

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 09:20:01 am »

YIPEE!!!!!!! IT WORKS!!!!

Ok, still a bit of tweeking here to go to fully explore this, but I now have MC running on the wireless PC in the lounge and I am in my study typing this listening the streamed 1411Kbits WAV (while the better half watches telly in there!!!).

Using "Vypress Tonecast" to stream uncompressed.

YAY! It is using 0% CPU and no transcoding involved, although the app. will do it if needed. Amazing what you can do with Google and 3 solid days of banging your (and others) head up against a problem.

So folks, it can be done!  It HAS been done!

As I said, I now need to do some exhaustive testing of the app. and it's settings/quality/reliability/etc., but after a few hours, it's all looking really good.

Now, if it all works out ok...I can get that tablet PC and run JRiver MC on it and have it output quality audio via my silentPC (custom Mini-ITX) to the stereo ....No wires and the interface I love!

Still interested in other options here folks so don't let me stop you adding to this thread...more options we have the better I say!

Cheers,
Dav.

outsider

• Recent member
Re: Wirelessly connect my stereo to my laptop - A solution!
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 02:38:36 pm »

We can see you're excited. :)
Just a few questions:
1. How does Tonecast interface with MC? Does it appear as another soundcard to which MC plays music to?

2. So you still need a PC next to the stereo... I agree it's not that elegant. It appears to me that you are "pushing" audio to the PC. If you can do that, can you not "push" the audio to a squeezebox? It would certanly be a smaller unit, and less hassle in terms of having the device reboot, crash, power consumption...

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 03:27:54 pm »

Interesting topic, and please excuse a little drift.

[Drift on]

I have my music PC hardwired to the stereo system, so what I would like to see is a PDA-based MC interface that would let me see my library displayed on the PDA and control MC on the PC remotely...

[Drift off]

outsider

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 03:37:08 pm »

Nolonemo, check out Net Remote.
Does EXACTLY what you described.

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 08:43:17 pm »

outsider,

1. How does Tonecast interface with MC? Does it appear as another soundcard to which MC plays music to?
Download it and see, it's shareware/trialware and very very small - not sure how long the demo works for, but long enough....;)
Na, really, it is a small app. that has two parts, a broadcaster and a reciever. It's like Shoutcast, but is independant - and will stream any audio source. It does not require Winamp to run (although there is a plugin for Winamp).

You tun it and set it to intercept sound (from the soundcard) and broadcast it on the lan using UDP.  No changes are required to MC or anything else.

You can either re-encode using Mpeg-1 or Mpeg-2 at various bit rates/channels/phsyco-acoustic's etc. or uncompressed audio...that's what I am using and it takes 1.411 Mbit of bandwidth (easily covered on a Wi-Fi).
You can also set gain, buffers etc...

It's a very simple, but somewhat primitive interface and took some playing to get it to work.  Tutorial on the site is pretty crap and the doco/help is also crap.

You then go the remote PC and set it up as a reciever and boom! out comes crisp, uncompressed audio.

2. So you still need a PC next to the stereo...
Yep, still need a PC next to the stereo...but one step at a time...
I have a couple of EIPIA-M mini-ITX's which I am not using, one EPIA-M6000 us set up as a fully passivly cooled PC - was my server - and has the teeny weeny plug pack power supply and uses bugger all power...sooo, it's going to make it's way inside the TiVo box - plenty of room and serve as my audio server.  I'd only get about $200AUD for the lot on eBay and a Squeezebox costs $500+AUD here, so it's a pretty good solution.  Esp. as I might just make my next project to make the EPIA-M into a media player to play Div-X etc movies on the TV....but that's another day.

As for streaming to a Squeezebix or other, not sure if this would work - ie. if it's a "normal" streaming audio" feed or if it's some proporiatory system being used...I might play with this at some stage as yeah, I do prefer discrete devices - much more reliable.

I'm still going to persue a better, (read propper), solution to this as I think it's something that should be done...and that may be via Apple Airport, squeezebox (or other), or even an ethernet enabled speaker....

So keep the ideas coming guys!

br1dge

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 09:58:32 pm »

davros - did you consider netremote?

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 12:25:55 am »

Yes i did br1dge, but it will not give me the MC interface on my laptop/tablet pc.

I like the interface, I plan to use my tablet PC alot and already have a pronto and do not want another "remote"....

But thanks for the suggestion.

outsider

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 07:03:47 am »

I'm still going to persue a better, (read propper), solution to this as I think it's something that should be done...and that may be via Apple Airport, squeezebox (or other), or even an ethernet enabled speaker....
Speaking of ethernet enabled speakers, you just reminded me of something I came accross the other week. This company called NetStreams has some audio distribution toys, one of which is an IP base amplifier. Stick your  ethernet cable into it, and plug speakers.
http://www.netstreams.com/fl_ProdDesc.aspx?ID=5
Pretty slick.

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 03:51:52 pm »

Nolonemo, check out Net Remote.
Does EXACTLY what you described.

Outsider, NetRemote does look very cool, but it's not clear if I can drill down through my library by genre then artist then album (or even by genre and then by album as on my handheld player).  I have thousands of albums in MC, and a flat database showing album covers isn't going to cut it (that's why I want a pane view like in MC).  Or do I just have to search for the specific thing I want to listen to?

Thanks,

Nolo

outsider

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 07:07:28 am »

Re: NetRemote,
Just download it and try it.
It doesn't have a pane view like MC, but it gives you a tree view. So you can choose Genre, then all artists are shown; you expand the artist you want and all albums are shown...etc...
I don't have any screenshots to show you, but for controlling MC remotely, NetRemote is the best there is.
You'll see what I mean once you get it installed and running.

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 09:31:11 am »

Outsider, thanks for the tip, NetRemote is AWESOME  ;D  (Except that my PC hard locks after its been running for a while, something I need to troubleshoot).  Its tree view is perfect for me.

ccclapp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 12:15:22 am »

This sounds interesting.

Three Questions:

1) Can you still play from the "Server PC", while the stream is being sent to and played by the "Client"
2) Can you have multiple "clients" for a single "server", thus enabeling wifi multi-zone distribution?
3)  How is the sync between zones?  Is there any delay?

Thanks
--Caleb

ccclapp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2005, 08:08:24 am »

...I have instaled Tunecast, but my signal comes and goes.  Mostely I do not get a signal.  Maybe I am doing something wrong.  For example, if I un-mute on the server, the signal stops on the client??
--Caleb

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 04:15:42 pm »

just a comment in regard to netremote. I tried it like 6 8 months ago..even bought it. It was pretty cool but w\ a Library of over 10,000 some songs. its more of a pain i thought. I ended up selling the PDA and the netremote software.. I have my desktop plugged into my theater Now and I use Mediacenter Via My bigscreen and I bought myself a Viewpoint Wireless keyboard . So that was the best route for me for now. I'd Like to get my hands on a AirPanel By Viewsonic http://www.viewsonic.com/support/mobilewireless/airpanelsmartdisplays/airpanelv110/  that i could carry around.(LIGHT WEIGHT) and see see the whole media center Display) I do have a Laptop that is wireless. and have media center on it also and then i have the playlists from the Main computer on the laptop so i can run around w\ the laptop to listen to it or bring lappy into the garage and lsiten to my songs.. I'd Like to figure out away though to be able to select my playlists on my lappy then in turn it would make Main computer play the songs which in turn would play the songs on The theater. am sure ya guys have figured this out. I just haven't it!! If there is a link to that somewhere here. Please by all means I'd love to read up on how to do that.. Again just a comment on netremote. Great program.. but just wasn't for me!

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 04:19:48 pm »

I do this two ways...

First, as you have hinted at, with a SqueezeBox.  The server Service runs on any PC and just needs read-only access to the music folders.  It is so simple to use and the only downside is the lack of coverart - although I am told the next SlimDevice will handle this.

The second way is to have another PC next to your Hi-Fi.  This can act one of two ways; either as a glorified player, reading from a central MC server,  or as a standalone MC, reading from a central music shared directory.

There are plusses and minuses to each of these....

nick

can someone please tell me what the pluses and minuses are of the squeezebox and the second PC.  is there any difference in performance between using a central MC server and a second standalone MC on the second PC?

thanks

nick

micahmj11

• Junior Woodchuck
  • This is war peacock. Casualties are inevitable.
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2006, 04:12:42 pm »

I'm not sure, but it seems like this product, announced on engadget, will do with other programs what airport does with iTunes.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/26/linksys-partners-with-yahoo-to-promote-wireless-music-bridge/

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2006, 05:21:19 pm »

Hm, not sure how you control that though...

I do several things at the moment, all of which vary in terms of how close they are to what you want.

First option was Netgear MP101. OK when it works, but you can only control it with the remote control unless you use Slimserver and then control it from a web interface with a PDA or laptop.

Then I moved onto a Pinnacle Showcenter, but didn't get on with it. The more recent (beta) firmware provided UPnP remote control from a PC, but wasn't great.

So I moved to a Streamium SL400i. Obviously it can access the media using MC's UPnP server, and you can control it either by its own remote control or from a laptop/PDA using Cidero on the PC or Rudeo (and others) on a PDA. That works quite well, but Rudeo on the PocketPC doesn't allow you to browse the MC hierarchy, and in fact at the moment can't connect to MC either :-(

I just bought a pair of Saitek wireless speakers. I wasn't expecting a huge amount, but actually they're great! The sound is surprisingly good for small portable speakers. Much better than I expected.

The audio is transmitted digitally from a a tiny USB transmitter, which appears to the PC as another soundcard, which means that MC can treat it as a separate zone.

But what makes it nicer is the fact that it also transmits back to the PC as a HID device - it has play/pause, rewind/fast forward controls which allow you to control media players including of course MC. OK, so it'll control whichever zone is active on MC at the time, but it's good enough for something you can just lug round the house with you. It's perfect for me in the bath :-)

But actually, what I was thinking today, and I know other people have talked about this before, was that it would be nice if MC could act as a Control Point for UPnP devices (like my Streamium). It makes perfect sense. I think before, though, I couldn't quite see how it would fit in with MC, but when I thought about it earlier, I had the bright idea that maybe it *could* actually work as a zone - if zones were more flexible than just audio outputs, they could include UPnP devices. So you have a playing now for the UPnP device, you browse the MC database and when you use the playback controls, they control the UPnP device in that zone. And you can use Zone sync to synchronise it with other devices :-)

John: you can knock that up in 5 minutes, can't you? ;-)

I know a lot of people will find it hard to understand why you'd do that, but people are already using their laptops, etc. to control other media playback devices, so why not do it from directly in MC?

NickM

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2006, 09:07:45 pm »

Plusses & Minuses of 2nd PC versus SlimDevice
Well I use both…
Cost; PC ( spec’s just for MC ) USD650, SlimDevice (wired ) USD249
Features; SlimDevice just plays music, PC with MC does video too.
But MOST importantly, ease of use…
My SlimDevices are in the guest rooms and provide an idiot proof and instantaneous response from the remote ( hardware solution, not software… ).  PC’s in places where I use them.

nick

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2006, 04:43:04 am »

in terms of audio quality, most laptops are 16bit but the squeezebox is 24bit, will this make any difference considering all of my music is saved as 16 bit?

nick

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2006, 05:32:20 pm »

Hm, not sure how you control that though...

I do several things at the moment, all of which vary in terms of how close they are to what you want.

First option was Netgear MP101. OK when it works, but you can only control it with the remote control unless you use Slimserver and then control it from a web interface with a PDA or laptop.

Then I moved onto a Pinnacle Showcenter, but didn't get on with it. The more recent (beta) firmware provided UPnP remote control from a PC, but wasn't great.

So I moved to a Streamium SL400i. Obviously it can access the media using MC's UPnP server, and you can control it either by its own remote control or from a laptop/PDA using Cidero on the PC or Rudeo (and others) on a PDA. That works quite well, but Rudeo on the PocketPC doesn't allow you to browse the MC hierarchy, and in fact at the moment can't connect to MC either :-(

I just bought a pair of Saitek wireless speakers. I wasn't expecting a huge amount, but actually they're great! The sound is surprisingly good for small portable speakers. Much better than I expected.

The audio is transmitted digitally from a a tiny USB transmitter, which appears to the PC as another soundcard, which means that MC can treat it as a separate zone.

But what makes it nicer is the fact that it also transmits back to the PC as a HID device - it has play/pause, rewind/fast forward controls which allow you to control media players including of course MC. OK, so it'll control whichever zone is active on MC at the time, but it's good enough for something you can just lug round the house with you. It's perfect for me in the bath :-)

But actually, what I was thinking today, and I know other people have talked about this before, was that it would be nice if MC could act as a Control Point for UPnP devices (like my Streamium). It makes perfect sense. I think before, though, I couldn't quite see how it would fit in with MC, but when I thought about it earlier, I had the bright idea that maybe it *could* actually work as a zone - if zones were more flexible than just audio outputs, they could include UPnP devices. So you have a playing now for the UPnP device, you browse the MC database and when you use the playback controls, they control the UPnP device in that zone. And you can use Zone sync to synchronise it with other devices :-)

John: you can knock that up in 5 minutes, can't you? ;-)

I know a lot of people will find it hard to understand why you'd do that, but people are already using their laptops, etc. to control other media playback devices, so why not do it from directly in MC?

The problem with these devices is that they were only meant to be controlled in one direction.

JRiver would have to write their own drivers for EACH ONE, I believe, to make it work, so I think a better solution is to take a device like the Airport Express which is allready meant to be controlled from the laptop and start with that.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2006, 06:49:03 pm »

Does anyone know if Tonecast can be set up to broadcast to a Tivo?  I don't want to have a receiver on a computer in my family room because I have a Tivo there.

I can pick up MC through my Tivo but I would like to be able to stream Sirius, which can only be done through their web site (it's encrypted and requires their proprietary interface.)

NickM

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2006, 08:54:04 pm »

in terms of audio quality, most laptops are 16bit but the squeezebox is 24bit, will this make any difference considering all of my music is saved as 16 bit?

With a high quality data source, the difference between playback using a 16 or 24bit DAC is noticeable.  (There are many PC sound cards that are now 24bit.).

However, I am not sure what you mean about you music being saved as 16bit
nick

JONCAT

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2006, 01:32:07 am »

I wonder if the NetStreams gear is compatible with MC....that small 20watt amp would be easy to place above my bed with a pair of speakers.

I don't like the Squeezbox since you need to run into to a source, I'd rather have in-wall or get a Roku Soundbridge Radio instead.

I am getting the bug to put speakers in bedroom and guestroom, maybe even the living room.

Maybe the squeezbox would be the way to go; get a cheap SS amp and run 6 speakers out of it.

??

Dr. C

NickM

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2006, 08:40:37 am »

Dr C, I use a number of different SqueezeBox installations, so here are a few suggestions...
1. Run your SlimDevice into B&O active speakers (sounds good, looks good, but not cheap)
2. Run your SlimDevice into the audio input of a TV (easy if your spare room has a spare TV...)
3. Use a pair of PC active external speakers (my Altec Lansing's suond surprisingly good).

Nick

aryb

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2006, 06:10:01 pm »

I hope this topic isn't dead yet. I have found another solution using justeport and airport express. Jon upadated it to take raw data and someone has written a nice explanation on how to implement it to stream everything coming out of your sound card to an airport express http://nanocrew.net/2005/07/23/justeport-02/. Unfortunatly capturing everything on the sound card comes out sounding like crap...well ok not crap but like headphones.

However, some folks wrote a plugin for winamp that does it lossless (or so it appears to me). http://sourceforge.net/projects/winamp-airport . The only problem is who wants to use winamp? I'm able to get this to stream the wireless and wired to my airport express with a digital out and everything is great except that I really want someone to translate what is being done with this winamp plugin to MC.

Considering how smart you all are I'm sure that someone must be able to take a look at this open source and whip up an MC version in no time.  ;)

JONCAT

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2006, 08:23:21 am »

I've got a little plan for the house, and was hoping to integrate a Klipsch IGroove into the living room. Right now I use a Saitek Wireless connected to my wife's laptop; she/we get to use MC to listen w/o having to fire up the HiFi in the "media room". I returned the Saitek once because the xmitter crapped out; now the unit itself, the speaker, powers down at random - maybe once in 2 days.

I like to put an IGroove in its place because of space constraints, my affintity for Klipsch, and also to have a simple Ipod dock for friends who come over.

Using MC is top priority. The IGroove apparently has a stereo mini jack (male) so one could theoretically connect a PC to it.  The Airport Express, Squeezbox, MP101, etc. solutions sound great but of course MC is a priority.

"JRiver would have to write their own drivers for EACH ONE, I believe, to make it work, so I think a better solution is to take a device like the Airport Express which is allready meant to be controlled from the laptop and start with that."

I don't want to hardwire a cable to my wife's laptop and "ground" her to one spot for audio playback. The Saitek seems the best solution so far in terms of smallest footprint and ease of use to control via MC. Too bad that Klipsch and others (MC even) haven't jumped on this. MC should contact Klipsch and convince them to design an wireless Igroove that interfaces with MC. High quality audio, small footprint, ease of use, a simple solution and a badd ass product that would be.

DC

JONCAT

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2006, 09:56:17 am »

stefansmith

• Junior Woodchuck
  • 1.2TB - 3500 albums - FLACs
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2006, 08:29:42 am »

I am currently building a DAC with USB>I2S input (www.dddac.de).

As a starter I'm going to use a USB cable, but I'm impatiently waiting for Belkin to release a high-speed wireless USB hub.
Pages: [1]   Go Up