INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash with iPod  (Read 3284 times)

ironghat

Crash with iPod
« on: September 18, 2005, 02:34:15 pm »

Media Center crashes when IPOD is connected.

Hello,

I've downloaded 11.0.314, but everytime I connect my IPOD to my laptop, MC crashes with a "Media Center has encountered a problem.." error message.

Sequence of events:
1. Launch MC.
2. Connect IPOD to laptop through USB port.
3. MC asks me if I wish the Device to be recognized/initialized, I click OK.
4. Crash occurs.
Note, my laptop has correctly recognized the attached device as an IPOD.

My Environment
* MC 11.0.314 (evaluation)
* Windows XP Home (SP2)
* IPOD is 60GB version

Thx!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crash with iPod
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 02:44:08 pm »

Try unchecking the option in iTunes to automatically open when the iPod is connected.

ironghat

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 02:56:44 pm »

Try unchecking the option in iTunes to automatically open when the iPod is connected.

I have already uninstalled iTunes completely, didn't seem to have any effect.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 03:30:30 pm »

Then, if you can see the iPod in Explorer, find the itunes.db file and rename it itunes.tmp.  It may be corrupt.

ironghat

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 03:42:27 pm »

Then, if you can see the iPod in Explorer, find the itunes.db file and rename it itunes.tmp.  It may be corrupt.

That worked, thx!  :D

Just FYI for all those who might read this thread, I couldn't find a file named 'iTunes.db' in my 60GB IPOD, however there was a file named 'iTunesDB' (found in the hidden 'iPod_Control\iTunes' folder) which I renamed. Once I did that, Media Center was able to recognize my IPOD without crashing, and I was able to transfer songs. Once the songs were transferred, I went back and deleted the renamed file, which is now no longer needed.

Podder

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 07:52:18 pm »

I'm experiencing the same CRASHES.

I've been using MC (version 10.0.173) for a few years now and  I just upgraded my 1st Gen. 20g ipod to a new 60g black ipod.  Very, very cool btw! Every time I click on "handheld" or the drive letter ("G" in this case) it always crashes.  It reads Media Core has encountered a problem, etc.

I've read a few of these posts and it seems that deleting the "itunesDB" file corrects this problem.   ???But I've looked everywhere and cannot seem to find this file name.  I've also unselected itunes from opening up automatically.  btw, I did install the itunes v.6, and it automatically loaded most of my songs onto my new ipod.  I want to reset my ipod using MC, but it crashes.  I do like MC, but I do not want to make this a big project everytime I use my ipod.  Should I upgrade to MC11?  What benefit does MC11 have over MC10?

Any hints, suggestions would be appreciative.

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 11:51:15 am »

I've read a few of these posts and it seems that deleting the "itunesDB" file corrects this problem.   ???But I've looked everywhere and cannot seem to find this file name.

When viewing your iPod in Explorer, do you see and iPod_Control file? If so, do you see a subfolder called 'iTunes'? If so, that is where you should see iTunesDB. If not check that in Explorer under 'Tools->Folder Options->View' that you enable 'Show hidden files and folders'

Podder

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 02:30:40 pm »

Thanks Steve, but still cannot find it (itunesDB).  I checked Explorer & I can only find "Ipod" under Program Files.  And under that is ipodservice.resources, and 4 ipod updaters.  Next in the explorer tree is "itunes" Under that is cd configuration, itunes.resources, itunesHelper.resources, itunesMiniPlayer.resources.  I enabled it to show all hidden folders and I still cannot find that itunesDB file.  So if I do eventually find this file and then delete it- I should be able to use my brand new Ipod 60g video w/ MC version 10??
Thanks in advance.

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 03:23:22 pm »

Do not look under 'Program files'. Right click on the 'Start' button and choose 'Explore' You should see the iPod with a drive letter next to it. Expand that and look for 'iPod_Control\iTunes\iTunesDB

Podder

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 04:01:23 pm »

Steve,
I hear what you are telling me, but......for some reason I cannot see a drive letter with the word Ipod next to it.  My Ipod is attached to my CPU w/ the USB cable in slot "A'.
I have 3.5 Floppy (A)
Local disk (C)
Compact disc (D)
Compact disc (E)
Removable Disk (F)
Iomega_HDD (I)
When I initially plugged my Ipod in, it showed as Drive (G).  Now that it is fully charged there is no "G" drive.  Is there another place to look?  Sorry...I'm trying.
Thanks.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 07:32:08 pm »

I think you need to get the ipod into "disk mode".  Try this....
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93651

Podder

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 08:47:41 pm »

OK..thanks for the advice.  After putting the USB into another USB input, the Ipod drive letter appeared on the explorer tree and I finally found the file - itunesDB and renamed it.  I thought I was in business.  BUUUUT, once I right clicked on the Ipod drive letter to intialize the Ipod the Ipod drive letter disappears again.

I also tried putting it in "Disk Mode" and I got it in disk mode and tried the same as above and the drive letter disappears.

Is anyone else having this problem with the brand new Ipod 5 generation (60g) AND MC(version 10)??  It's like it does not recognize the ne wipod.  My old ipod worked fine w/ MC.  It's very frustrating to get a brand new toy and have it sitting on my desk like a paperweight.  I really do not want to go to Itunes, but I mat be forced to.

Any hints?

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 08:56:03 pm »

The only other thing I can think to try is to go under Tools > Options > Handheld and click the "reset all devices" button.
Close MC.
Re-attach ipod and make sure it's seen as a drive letter in windows.
Start MC.
Should see ipod and ask if you want to initialize it as a portable device.
Go from there.  If it recognizes it, do an initialize on it and try a sync.
If that doesn't work, then perhaps apple made some structural changes to the ipod database on the 5G.  You'll need to wait until JRiver gets ahold of one to research or someone else chimes in that has a 5G.
It's working fine with my 4G 60GB.

Podder

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 06:58:37 am »

RESTORE Ipod - that is all that I needed to do.  Restore ipod not reset.

This is after I already renamed the itunesDB file to itunes.tmp and intialized ipod in MC10.

This was for a new 60g video ipod.

JeBeL70

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 01:12:24 pm »

Hi,

I have experienced the same problem just now, and am about to use the fix described in this post to sort it out.

Interestingly, I've been using MC for years now (MC10), and with my current config of MC12.0.154 and a shiny new Video iPod 80GB, all has been going well for a few months, until I downloaded the current iTunes update (I don't use it, just to access the iPod firmware updater). Only after this did I experience this particular crash for the first time!...which leaves me wondering what sort of messing about iTunes was up to???!

zr1961

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 05:38:41 am »

8)Solved my crashing problems on 80g ipod, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up