INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: import media freezes  (Read 5592 times)

rlambric

• Recent member
import media freezes
« on: October 26, 2005, 07:06:04 pm »

happy MC11 user sofar. bought network drive. copied 20,000 odd media files to drive. MC11 can find and play these files. made backup of library. cleared library. started importing files from netword drive. All files are found, BUT as soon as MC starts importing file 1 of xx,xxx nothing happens: no import, no counter advance, error message from PlayBackEng: Wrong parameter. Cancelling media import leaves import media window unchanged.

Please advise ...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: import media freezes
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 09:10:38 pm »

It may be a network problem.  Updating drivers may help.

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: import media freezes -help!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 01:12:57 pm »

a similar thing happens to me:

bought a maxtor network drive, backed up all music there and assigned the previous drive letter to the network drive. When starting MC11.1.59 everything seems fine at first.

When playing songs some of them raise the dialog "wrong parameter".

When editing tags the message "Media Center encountered errors while tagging and moving files. Check that the files exist, are not read-only and are not in use by other programs."

Moreover, I tried to import songs on the new drive (by file-library-import), MC hangs in the import process. Only by ending the task I can stop that.

The file attributes are not set to write-protected.

Can someone help? Does anybody else use network storage drives?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 01:14:44 pm »

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 01:38:32 pm »

Sorry, there's no hint that sound similar.

What can be reasons for the dialog "wrong parameter"? It must have to do something with the network drive. Another trial to import tracks again lets MC hang. It stops with "Adding files... 1 of 13" - that's it!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 04:21:01 pm »

Just to check but have you checked the disk for errors with chkdsk (or a similar tool)?  I've had format problems corrupt files and then they could crash MC on import and playing (if the files were already in the library before they got corrupted).

Check MC's logfile (Go to Help --> Configure Debug Logging to turn on import logging and then crash it) and figure out which files are causing it specifically.  Then test those files in another player (I've had them actually crash Windows Explorer when you select them before).

The only reason I mention this was that I personally have had problems with Maxtor drives in the past (and some external drives in general).  That's why I've standardized on high-quality drives (I use WD RE drives and I've never had bad-sector problems or bit-rot), set up a RAID5, and invested in some backup capacity.  If you find errors with chkdsk (especially bad sectors) you could have a bunk drive.

For internal disks, another potential sore spot could be the Drive Controller.  Are you using an on-board controller or an aftermarket one?  Is it the Chipset one or one of the "add-ons" that motherboard manufacturers add sometimes?  What chipset/make/model is it?  (I ask because I've also personally had problems with VIA chipsets of all types, with some older Promise controllers, and with the NVRaid utility with recent nVidia chipsets.)  If you continually get "bit rot" but are never seeing bad sectors (and a reformat generally helps for a little while till it appears again), take a good look at the drive controller and drivers.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 07:44:55 am »

Finally I got it and I think it's worth telling it!

Problem:
Used Maxtor Shared Storage Harddisk (300 GB) for MC library and music files. When playing files or changing tags that result in file changes I always received evil error messages like "Wrong parameter" or "could not save changes"

Even worse was the fact that from that moment it was impossible to import new files. MC hung until ending the MC task.

Solution:
Download and upgrade the harddisk Firmware 1.2.2 from Maxtor homepage! Maxtor unfortunately doesn't give a hint on what the update is good for but actually it made me look a bit happier.

Thanks glynor for your recommendations. At first, I didn't think it could be the drive so you led me to the right direction...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 07:51:52 am »

Thanks for reporting the solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up