INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash when browsing aac files with 11.1.74 beta  (Read 4906 times)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Crash when browsing aac files with 11.1.74 beta
« on: December 08, 2005, 04:19:25 am »

I was anxious to try this. I have Nero 7 installed on my laptop and it provides AAC file support for WMP.

However, the builds 73 and 74 crash the OS instantly (BSOD) when I even try to browse a folder that contains any iTunes or Nero AAC files. I used tree > Drives & Devices for browsing. I would first like to see this resolved before installing and trying other codecs.

Media Center Registered 11.1.74 -- C:\Program Files\MC\
Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2512 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 521 MB, Free - 307 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2800 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2800 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2800 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive J:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive J: QSI      DVD/CDRW SBW-161   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crash when browsing aac files with 11.1.74 beta
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 08:11:57 am »

Alex,
A blue screen is usually associated with a hardware problem.  Sound card or video driver related?

What happens if you try to import the files?

Can anyone else confirm or deny this problem with 11.1.74?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 09:19:24 am »

Importing does not change the situation. The system crashed almost instantly after executing import. I enabled the debug log, but I am afraid it does not tell anything. I ticked all tick boxes, enabled debugging and tried to import. The log contains only this:
Code: [Select]
16:51:04: General: Log Reset: Logging reset
16:51:14: Database: MCDB::Save: Start
16:51:14: Database: MCDB::Save: Saving (bCleanDB: 0, bForce: 0)
16:51:14: Database: MCDB::Save: Finish (0 ms)

The system crash happens exactly at the moment when MC tries read the first AAC file. It doesn't matter if the file has been encoded with Nero or iTunes. I have not experienced similar crashes before installing MC 11.1.73 & 74 and trying this. I can import other file types without problems. I am 90% sure the new system is not compatible with the Nero 7 AAC decoder or other included Nero codecs.

However, I am not willing to remove the just updated Nero package. I need it mostly for burning special mode CDs and because of some other utilities included, for example the AAC encoder.

I have not installed any other AAC codecs/filters yet on that PC because it would be good to solve this problem first before adding more factors. Nero is probably the most popular burning utility and it is likely to be installed on many MC users' PCs.

This is easy to try to reproduce. Just clean a PC from other AAC software, install Nero 7 and try.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 09:26:37 am »

We saw problems with Nero earlier that made me believe Nero's AAC isn't the same as other AAC. 

If it's the Nero decoder, we can take a look.  At least MC shouldn't crash.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 09:49:47 am »

iTunes 6 /QT 7.0.3 (.m4a) files crashed the system too. I have the impression that Nero AAC (.mp4) files are fully compatible with the ISO standard.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 09:52:03 am »

Can you reproduce this problem on another PC?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 10:09:58 am »

As far as I can tell, browsing does not involve playback engine, thus does not involve the m4a support that I recently added. Maybe your database is corrupt?

-Edit-

Also, do you get any meaningful information in the log file after the crash?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 10:25:21 am »

Can you reproduce this problem on another PC?

Unfortunately no because I can use MC11.1 only on that PC until 11.1 is stable enough to be used on all PCs on our home LAN. Besides, the other PCs don't have Nero 7 installed. I could remove Nero from the laptop, but it would be a lot of work to configure it again. The bloated package has tons of needless stuff. The installer is over 100 MB. It took me a couple of hours to check what is really needed.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 10:26:19 am »

Do you have QuickTime installed on your computer?

We still depend on QT for reading file info.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 10:29:09 am »

As far as I can tell, browsing does not involve playback engine, thus does not involve the m4a support that I recently added. Maybe your database is corrupt?

How Drives & Devices is supposed to read the file information and tags? (EDIT: so you use QT)
I restored a database backup after each crash. I run the same database on the other PCs and make daily backups.

Also, do you get any meaningful information in the log file after the crash?

I posted the log. You should know if it is meaningful.

Do you mean you can't reproduce this? (there's a demo available.)

Do you have QuickTime installed on your computer?

We still depend on QT for reading file info.

I think so. I'll check that.

EDIT:
I suppose you meant the OS log. I'll try to find it too.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 10:36:12 am »

Unfortunately no because I can use MC11.1 only on that PC until 11.1 is stable enough to be used on all PCs on our home LAN. Besides, the other PCs don't have Nero 7 installed.
How about putting iTunes and a few of the Nero files on it?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 10:50:08 am »

My laptop seems to have QT 6.5.1, no iTunes. I'll update to QT 7.0.3.
Also, I opened the minidump file with a hex editor. I don't think it contains anything useful.

Actually, I would rather play with the new browser and make myself familiar with it before the changes are finalized.

I think I'll leave this AAC issue for a while.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 10:56:37 am »

How Drives & Devices is supposed to read the file information and tags? (EDIT: so you use QT)
I posted the log. You should know if it is meaningful.

Sorry, I did not see that. Right, it does not contain much.
Do you mean you can't reproduce this? (there's a demo available.)

Right. I can not reproduce it. I can reproduce some other issue related to m4a (such as handheld device transfer), but browsing m4a files works fine here.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 06:59:53 pm »

Somehow a recent ATI Radeon driver and QT didn't like each other. I don't know if Nero had something to do with this too.

I uninstalled almost half of the installed drivers and/or programs and slowly tried various combinations and versions. The display driver was about the last item on my list. It has worked fine until now, but I am not sure if I have used QT with it. Now I use an old driver from the year 2002. It lacks the configuration panel I need for S-Video out, so I need to find a solution to this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up