INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locate functionality changed?  (Read 5855 times)

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Locate functionality changed?
« on: December 29, 2005, 01:05:54 pm »

I frequently used the function "Locate - Artist etc. " in order to switch to all entries of one artist, album etc.

Since few builds, obviously this function has been changed in a way that I receive only hits within the current view scheme!

I don't like this change! How can I find all hits for an artist, genre etc. in such a quick way now? It would be a useful addition if both methods of "locating" would work - or do they and I just don't know?

What about offering both ways, e.g. in combination with a pressed CTRL key?

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Locate functionality changed?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 01:23:36 pm »

I'm a big fan of Locate - Artist as well

..im hoping this is a gltich or maybe there is another way.

Sauzee

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 02:29:50 pm »

Got to agree with you guys - right click - locate... is probably my most used feature in MC. I don't like the recent change to within the same view scheme at all.

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 04:13:35 am »

Can somebody confirm that this change was done on purpose? And also why?

AndromAK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Omnes Vulnerant, Ultima Necat
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 08:37:40 am »

I noticed that change too, I it would be fine if it could back as before...
The locate function isn't useful anymore, now, except in "Playing Now"

Sauzee

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 11:44:23 am »

I think this might actually be a bug

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 08:52:23 am »

Bug is still there. What do the developers think about it? Do you want to change it for us?

winniew

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 09:26:16 am »

I also would like to have the old functionality 
(not only locate in the current view scheme)

Sauzee

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 09:54:08 pm »

MC guys - any views on this?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 07:19:49 am »

*BUMP*

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 12:54:11 pm »

Ctrl+F and locate don't jump views now if you're at the library.  This was one of the changes when deemphasizing an all media view.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 01:42:35 pm »

So if i'm in Playing Now, and i want to see all tracks by an artist, will a

Right Click->Locate Artist

..take me to all tracks by said Artist in the library ?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 01:49:10 pm »

yes

EpF

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 03:05:15 pm »

Ctrl+F and locate don't jump views now if you're at the library.  This was one of the changes when deemphasizing an all media view.

There's a problem with this, though: If I am viewing all albums by, say Iggy Pop, and right-click on 'Lust for Life', which appears on the album 'Trainspotting' and choose 'Locate Album', all that happens is a lot of CPU usage, some entries disappear from my panes, and 'Album: Trainspotting' appears in the search bar; there's no Locating going on at all...

I appreciate that you've made some changes that won't be unmade, but couldn't the 'Locate' function work a little better?

The old way meant that in my example above, when I chose 'Locate Album', I was brought to whatever the root of the Media Mode was. That meant that when I was finished there, all I had to do was hit 'Back', and I got back to where I was, with my original filter selections in place. Now, after 'locating' the album and doing whatever I needed to, I have to click in the searchbar, delete the enty there, and then scroll and filter through the panes to get back to where I was.

I don't know about other people, but this is something I use a lot, and it's very complicated now - couldn't we have the old jump-to-root-view back? It seems logical that if you want to locate something, you will end up in a different place to where you are, and it also seems logical that that place would be at the root of the library (where else would it be?). If necessary, the entry in the context menu could be worded differently so that it reflected what was going to happen; e.g., 'Locate Album in "Audio"' - the Medium could change for the file-type so that it read 'Locate Album in "Images"', etc.

AndromAK

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 05:16:43 pm »

I think that the old way the "locate" function worked was better.

For example, I have a View Scheme for an History of listened tracks.
If I have listened only one track of an album, and than I do "Locate->Album", I won't be relocate in the library root, won't be able to see others tracks, and I won't be in the right place in one clic, like before.

It's very annoying, isn't it?

If you really want to keep this way of doing by default (why???) it would be cool that you offer the choice to the user, in options, to set the locate function as before...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 09:49:20 pm »

I appreciate that you've made some changes that won't be unmade, but couldn't the 'Locate' function work a little better?
The way the Locate funtion worked in 11.0  is perfect. I'm at a loss as to why you would need to use Locate to find something in Playing Now, surely all you need to do for that is just type in the search bar to get a filtered view of Playing Now.

More ppl need to give examples of the new vs the old way in terms of steps required as EpF did if we are to see any changes here.

I usually want to locate within Audio in the library anyways and would prefer to keep using it that way in 11.1. SO typical use is

Right Click->Locate Artist then maybe Locate->Album

and then back to Playing now either via the Back button or Alt+2

EpF

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 06:43:02 am »

I'm at a loss as to why you would need to use Locate to find something in Playing Now
hit_ny - is this a reference to this:
The locate function isn't useful anymore, now, except in "Playing Now"
?

I think AndromAK meant that when you're in Playing Now, and choose 'Locate > Artist', it works like you would want it to; i.e., it switches to the root of the Media Mode and lists all entries by that artist - the way it used to, no matter where you were in MC.

Correct me if I'm wrong, AndromAK...

AndromAK

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 06:56:23 am »

I think AndromAK meant that when you're in Playing Now, and choose 'Locate > Artist', it works like you would want it to; i.e., it switches to the root of the Media Mode and lists all entries by that artist - the way it used to, no matter where you were in MC.

You're right, Epf, It's exactly what I wanted to say

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 07:12:43 am »

One of the problems is that Locate in PN (and also Ctrl+F) goes to Audio. For example, if I have a video file in PN and I want to locate the other videos from the same album Locate goes to Audio and finds nothing.

Also, my "music" albums contain image and document files too. I would like to see the scanned CD covers and my album info documents when I locate an album. Similarly my video albums may contain additional files, like still images and review documents.

I have recreated "All Media" aka the former "Media Library" and it is the topmost item on my tree, but there is no way to configure Ctrl+F or Locate to use it instead of "Audio" when activated from PN, playlists etc.

EDIT

Actually, it seems that when I press Ctrl+F or use Locate inside my "All Media" > Location (Root) tree branch MC jumps away from it to Audio.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

AndromAK

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 08:37:08 am »

It's why I think there should be a "Locate (Root)" , "Locate (Audio)" , "Locate "Video)" , or whatever...functionnality...
Or it should be customizable by the user...
What do you think about that? Everybody will be happy  ;D

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 08:52:04 am »

I totally agree with AndromAK. I would rather jump back to version 11.0 than trying to get used to the locate procedure now (start playing a song - jump to playing now - locate ...)

Why not simply combining it with the CTRL key: CTRL key pressed +Locate command => Search in Audio; only locate command => Search in current view (or vice versa)

If you don't want to change back, tell me how shall I achieve to get all files for an artist, album, genre,...?

And by the way: how many % of users ever missed not to be able to locate videos or pictures?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 09:27:01 am »

how many % of users ever missed not to be able to locate videos or pictures?

For example, let's say you have a playlist named "Beautiful landscapes around the world". It would be nice to be able to select an image and locate all photos, videos, audio memos and perhaps diary documents from that certain trip.

However, personally I have never used the Locate function much. MC has many ways for finding things.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

EpF

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 10:04:26 am »

One of the problems is that Locate in PN (and also Ctrl+F) goes to Audio. For example, if I have a video file in PN and I want to locate the other videos from the same album Locate goes to Audio and finds nothing.
I think that the new root-less system in general needs to be refined. I just discovered that the Media 'Modes' are not modes at all any more - they're just shortcuts to a place in the tree. And now that there is no root to the Media Library, just the 4 sibling schemes, the locate functionality just goes to the first entry in the list, no matter what format file you were looking for; I'd expect more intelligent behaviour.

AlexB has customised his Audio scheme to include other media, but if you try to customise any of the 4 base schemes you find that you cannot rename them or delete them; and you can't add another view scheme at the base-level.

The new root-less system was introduced to clarify the MC interface for users; that's fine, but why remove some of the basic functionality of the base-level viewschemes? If the base-level viewschemes were as customisable as all the others, experienced users could do whatever they wanted, and new or more casual users would be presented with the current, streamlined tree. You can't make it completely idiot-proof and there are fail-safes built into the program to cope with accidents...

I realise that second point is a bit off-topic, but Matt did say that the 2 are related; I just think they haven't been fully developed yet.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2006, 10:20:27 am »

AlexB has customised his Audio scheme to include other media, but if you try to customise any of the 4 base schemes you find that you cannot rename them or delete them; and you can't add another view scheme at the base-level.

Actually, I have "All Media" as a root item. Select PN from the tree and add a new view scheme from the top menu: Edit > Add View Scheme.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2006, 10:42:20 am »

hit_ny - is this a reference to this:?

Correct but also..

Since few builds, obviously this function has been changed in a way that I receive only hits within the current view scheme!
made me think the same.

I just discovered that the Media 'Modes' are not modes at all any more - they're just shortcuts to a place in the tree. And now that there is no root to the Media Library, just the 4 sibling schemes, the locate functionality just goes to the first entry in the list, no matter what format file you were looking for; I'd expect more intelligent behaviour.
Turns out i would not notice much after all since the first viewscheme is audio and i use MC mainly for Audio. But it can handle much more.

This is the crux of it... How to make Locate work with more than just Audio.

Now i think i see where Matt is going with this.

So if i hit Locate->Artist and i'm on a video then i would expect it to find videos+images+audio by said artist ?

as default behaviour.

But what if i only wanted video at the time or audio or images instead of everything. hmmm.

It's why I think there should be a "Locate (Root)" , "Locate (Audio)" , "Locate "Video)" , or whatever...functionnality...
This sounds like a logical response, feels a bit clunky but it's also very transparent and leaves no doubt as to the result.

How to make Locate more intuitive without adding steps and getting what is wanted at the same time ?

EpF

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2006, 04:04:55 pm »

Quote from: Matt
Now i think i see where Matt is going with this.

So if i hit Locate->Artist and i'm on a video then i would expect it to find videos+images+audio by said artist ?
No, that's just the point - if you're already in the Library (i.e., not in Playing Now or a Playlist, Plugin or other), and you choose Locate > Artist, essentially nothing happens apart from the panes getting filtered by the artist in the search bar. See my stepped description above: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30993.msg214630#msg214630

This is the crux of it... How to make Locate work with more than just Audio.
Yeah, except that it used to; when you were in All Media mode, because Locate used to switch to the root scheme, you'd get all media associated with an artist, album or whatever.

Actually, I have "All Media" as a root item. Select PN from the tree and add a new view scheme from the top menu: Edit > Add View Scheme.
Heh! That's neat! I tried right-clicking on PN to do the same; didn't work. I used your method, and realised that it was the first time ever that I used the Edit menu to create a viewscheme!!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 05:11:49 am »

As for Ctrl+F, the debate internally leaned towards making it not switch the view (Ctrl+F in Explorer doesn't jump to Google) or jumping to a special search view.

as far as I can tell, there is now no difference (in respect of results listed) between ctrl+f and ctrl+q
I was reading your post Matt, and it occurred to me that you are absolutely correct.
ctrl+f doesn't jump to google, but if we choose to go to google, we can search everything.
I have re-created the old All Media scheme, but named it "workshop" instead. It would be nice if one or other of the hotkeys could just take me there.
from a default install, I don't see a way to get to MC's equivelant of google?

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2006, 03:04:57 am »

:D I wanna say THANK YOU! The good old locate command is back!
Pages: [1]   Go Up