INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mpg = Video, mpeg = Audio!  (Read 2754 times)

David_1cog

mpg = Video, mpeg = Audio!
« on: January 16, 2006, 05:34:50 am »

As per subject, mpg files display in 'Video' view, but mpeg extension displays in 'Audio' view.  MC11.1.99.

Just me or a bug?

David_1cog

Re: mpg = Video, mpeg = Audio!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 12:22:28 pm »

bump

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 12:26:09 pm »

I don't know why you see what you do, but you can change the Media Type in MC's properties.

David_1cog

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 12:41:33 pm »

Can't work out what you mean.  "MC's properties"?  I see 'Media Type' when editing View Scheme, but that just allows selection of 'Video', 'Audio', 'Data', etc. - no fine-grained control of video types / extensions.

David_1cog

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 12:53:07 pm »

bump.  11.1.106.

Anyone else seeing '.mpeg' in 'Audio'?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 01:49:33 pm »

MPEG can be audio as well. You could change the file extension to .mpg and reimport

or just change the "Media Type" field afterwards. You can find it here:

Action Window > File Properties > Tag Info > Columns to show: All fields (use the tiny button on the top left corner) > Media Type

or make the field visible in "Customize Current View".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 03:53:38 pm »

I think what he's trying to say is that MPEG is typically video so why does MC default this to audio?  I change it back afterwards but sometimes I forget.
JLee

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 04:13:54 pm »

It is good to have an alternative for audio files. The three letter extension is the usual Windows standard. I guess all Windows video programs use .mpg by default. MPEG audio format is not so common, but if you happen to have those files you can name them as .mpeg.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 05:34:59 pm »

MC has currently these MPEG file associations (besides MP3 and the MP4 variants):
mpa, mpga, mp2, mpeg, mpg, m1v, mpv, mpe, m2v

I have Steinberg's Wavelab 5 (a pro audio editor). It has an MPEG-1 Layer 2 encoder.
The offered file extension options are: mp2, mpa, mpg, mus

I remember now that I have previously changed the Media Type of my MP2 audio files because MC imported them as video. Afterall, I think the best system would be this:

mpg, mpeg, m1v, m2v, mpe, mpv, m2p, mpv2, mp2v, mpeg2  => Video

mp2, mpa, mpga, mp1, mp2a  => Audio

mus is also used by the well-known Finale notation software and I have never seen a .mus MPEG audio file so I guess it is not needed.

EDIT: Added m2p, it is used by Canopus for MPEG2 videos.

EDIT2: Added more extensions. The oldest MPEG-1 layer 1 audio format uses mp1. Sometimes the mp2a (MPEG-1 layer 2 audio), mpv2, mp2v and mpeg2 (MPEG-2 video) extensions are used too.

David_1cog

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 01:51:47 pm »

OK, it turns out the MPEG / MPG extension was a red herring.  When I renamed the '.mpeg' to '.mpg' it still appeared in the 'Audio' listing.  I solved the problem by selecting the offending video file -> right click in TAG INFO -> Columns To Show -> Show All Fields -> File Info -> Media Type - it was set to 'Audio', I changed to 'Video'.  Problem solved.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 07:54:42 am »

It seems that MC can tag and use MPEG1 layer 2 files perfectly fine with its internal decoder plug-in if the extension is changed to .mp3.

I think it would good to handle .mp2 audio files similarly without the need of changing the extension.
Pages: [1]   Go Up