INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback of .dts files extracted from DVD  (Read 3106 times)

dmm

• World Citizen
Playback of .dts files extracted from DVD
« on: January 24, 2006, 05:55:22 pm »

I would like to be able to playback .dts files that I have extracted from a DVD.  The .dts files play fine in windows XP  media player, SPDIF output.

When I try and play them in MC11.1 (latest beta), the player just ignores my play request (previous versions of 11.1 betas used to hang). 

I am trying to play the .dts files out the SPDIF of my M-Audio Revo 7.1.  I have v2.6 of ASIO4ALL loaded.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Playback of .dts files extracted from DVD
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 06:20:51 pm »

I think MC does not know what to do with the DTS files.

I have previously used Matroska containers for AC3 files. A program that can wrap the files in Matroska containers, the Matroska codec pack and a program named AC3filter for SPDIF pass-through are needed. The same system should work with DTS files.

A couple of months ago I gathered some related forum links here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30049.msg207217#msg207217
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 06:28:48 pm »

I have AC3filter installed already.  That has not helped my MC problems.  Again, my .dts files play fine in xp media player.

Maybe using some sort of directshow filter playback would do the trick?  If only I could get that to work as well.  See my other thread post about DVD playback problems.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 07:01:16 pm »

Perhaps Yaobing from JRiver could add directshow support for .dts and .ac3 audio files.

For now, you could try the Matroska container system. It should work with your other player software as well. Here's the specific post in which I explained how to use Matroska: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26055.msg180574#msg180574

DVD playback is similarly broken on my HTPC too (MC 11.1.102 currently). It used to work with MC 11.0. I have not worried about that too much. I have catalogued my DVDs with a program named DVD Profiler and I play them usually with a standard stand-alone player.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 05:39:57 pm »

I tried the Matroska container system as you suggested.  I find that using the chapters feature and the haali splitter, I get system hangs.  As  long as the .dts files are put in a .m4a as a single chapter I can at least play the files in MC now.

However, the last 5-10secs of the file causes a MC error and stops further playback till I hit the MC error dialog box ok button.  Something about not being able to open a file (which obviously is already open and playing fine till the last 5 seconds of the song.)  Sorta feels like MC is running out at the end of the bit stream buffer and not gracefully exiting the end of the .dts song file.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 06:10:58 pm »

Tonight's build added DTS and AC3 playback. (assuming you have the necessary filters installed)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 08:24:26 pm »

You are right, I can now just double click on my .dts files and they play now with the latest beta!

However the crash at the end of the file is still there.  I get the following error:

"Media center encountered some errors while trying to play the last several files....."

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 08:27:31 pm »

You are right, I can now just double click on my .dts files and they play now with the latest beta!

However the crash at the end of the file is still there.  I get the following error:

"Media center encountered some errors while trying to play the last several files....."

Do MP3's or standard WAV files play as expected?

Do you have any way to provide a sample file we could test with?

Thanks.

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 10:01:50 pm »

email how you would like the file sent to you.  Do you have a FTP site for such things?

I have a .dts file that is about 10MB in size.

dumpingground @ mailworks dot org

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 08:30:47 pm »

still does not work even with the latest 11.1 108 beta release.

How do you control the filters used to play the .dts files?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 09:53:54 pm »

.dts files will get played by Media Center's WAV plugin.  You'll need an outboard decoder. (using SPDIF, etc.)

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 07:34:39 am »

I have an outboard decoder and I use SPIDF.  The .dts files play find on my pc with MS windows XP's media player.  They just wont play in MC.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 07:41:23 am »

dmm,

You may want to check this thread out and perhaps reply there:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31549.msg216902#msg216902
Pages: [1]   Go Up