INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11.1: Corrupts Album fields (at times)  (Read 2388 times)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
MC 11.1: Corrupts Album fields (at times)
« on: January 26, 2006, 08:07:44 am »

There is some serious bug that crops up occasionally and changes (corrupts) the Album value of all my 7500+ MP3 tracks to blank (spaces).  This happened shortly after installing 105 on Tue and happened once before (about 2 weeks ago).  Luckily I had a recent backup and this was easily fixed.  Honestly, I cannot think of any action I performed or feature I used in MC that I don't normally use that would have done this.  I'm not looking for the problem and just see it & freak out (for a sec).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Album data missing
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 08:14:14 am »

That may be a disk problem.  Try checking it.

You reported a similar problem once before:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31264.0

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 08:28:56 am »

That may be a disk problem.  Try checking it.

You reported a similar problem once before:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31264.0

Sorry, no disk problems here.  This problem never happened in MC 11.0.xxx and only started with 11.1.xxx.  And, yes, the similiar problem is why I said it happened before.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 09:01:25 am »

It wouldn't hurt to check the disk.

You're not sharing the library with two PC's are you?

Does anyone else have this problem with the current version of MC11.1?

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 09:09:07 am »

Not sure if this is the same thing but could be related, i was runing 11.1.103 at the time and after a couple of days noticed that about half of my song titles were missing, just the time of the song remained, the names were missing both when i would scroll the mouse cursor over the album art and then when the album was in the now playing window.

I did update tags from library (all 12,000) and then everything was ok again.

TC  :o

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 09:16:47 am »

I have sometimes seen missing field data if I have experienced a crash (MC or OS). MC 11.x keeps all library fields in separate .jmd files and if something prevents the write operation before it is ready a partial data loss may occur in one of the fields.

I have always restored a library backup after a crash and recreated the recent changes if possible.

Luckily my systems are quite stable and crashes don't happen often.

There is a good chance that the library is fine after a crash, but it is impossible to check all my about 47,000 x 100 field values.

sbsp2 and tcman41,

If your MC has not crashed is it possible that something else has prevented the file writing? Like a disconnected drive or LAN connection? I think MC may sometimes have tasks running for a few seconds after the MC is closed and the MC window has disappeared from sight.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 09:24:29 am »

What Alex says is correct, but if it's happening repeatedly, there is some other problem with the PC.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 09:48:20 am »

I think I did have an MC crash while playing with (trying out) 3D visualizations.  That may have caused it.  I see all the 3D visualization don't work or if you cycle thru them pretty quick MC will crash sometimes.  So, yes, maybe a crash did cause it.  Sorry, I forgot until just now that I did play with visualizations but when back to my normal 'Cover Art' setting.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 04:21:33 pm »

nope , no crashes of any kind ever, i have a very stable system, only noticed it with build 11.1.103, haven't seen it since, considering that i am now running 11.1.105 who's gives a frog's turd, lol.

TC

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 05:50:29 am »

From  Media Center 11.1.106 Release Candidate thread:
This version does not display the Album field correctly.

Where "Album" appears in view schemes etc., there's a blank space where the album name should be.

I know it's in the tags as I can see it in Windows Explorer...

Update: This is weird...I just downgraded to 11.1.105 and my album names are still not visible.

Come to think of it, when I installed these past few times, I get a message saying that MC is still running (when it's been exited some time before)...

I've just re-installed 11.1.106 again...and I still can't see all the album names. Strange thing is, for a particular album, SOME of the tracks show the album name, and some don't...doesn't seem to be any pattern that I can discern...

Join the crowd.  This is the exact same problem I've experieced twice now in 2 weeks with MC 11.1 betas.  I hope you have a recent library backup to make the 'fix' easily.

Also, if you don't have a current backup, MC 11.1 makes automatic library backup every 3 days and monthly under d:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\J River\Media Center 11\Library Backups.

Ref: Media Center 11.1.67 Beta and change #9.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 06:37:25 am »

Are you using any third party plug-ins?  Which ones?

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 07:46:45 am »

Are you using any third party plug-ins?  Which ones?

Who me?  No, just the defaults that MC installs (Audible Store, Audio Lunchbox, CD Baby, Library Server, TiVo Server, UPnP Server) and all are disabled (not used).
Pages: [1]   Go Up