INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio analysis slow  (Read 2460 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Audio analysis slow
« on: February 16, 2006, 07:28:52 am »

I don't recall this problem back in 10.0 when I built the majority of my current library and now don't need to do it much since when I rip it automatically analyzes, but it seems Audio Analysis has gotten slow.

I tried this in 2 libraries, one @3000 and the other @13000 files. I knew there was 1 file out of those that needed analyzing. I made sure the "Skip analyzed files" box was checked and it even identified that "0 / 1 completed" before I started the Analyze. However upon starting the analyze it went agonizingly slow like it was doing every file. I checked the files during the analyze and it wasn't modifying any of the other MP3's which was right. When I saw it go to "1 / 1 completed" I tried clicking Stop but that didn't do anything. It just ignored me like it was frozen until it finally went all the way through 100%. Everything seemed fine after.

I could have sworn in the past that when there was only a few files that needed analyzing that it was a very quick process and only those files that weren't done were analyzed. Am I just not remembering it correctly or is there a problem with analyze now in the 11 builds?
Jeff
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Audio analysis slow
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 08:08:39 am »

Are the files on a network drive or a USB drive?  If so, please test on a local drive.

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 11:59:53 am »

When I first saw this yesterday on one library with the @3000 files they were all on a local drive. The other library was on a network drive. I expected it to zip right to the one that needed analyzing and do it and stop. Does this mean that you can't reproduce it?
Jeff
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 07:46:39 am »

No one has seen this before?

As a further update if I select just those files that need analyzing, of course it will run through those correctly. It's only when you select Done files along with the ones that need analyzing it seems like it still does something with each Done file which makes it so slow.
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 07:59:40 am »

Check the FAQ here for a thread called Weird and Wonderful.  It has some strange problems.  Near the bottom is one about a virus checker(?) called Kapersky?  It had a similar effect.  There may be others in that thread.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 12:27:08 pm »

I tried this with a subset of my library: 1986 already analyzed files (12.1 GB, 6.5 days).

It took 3 minutes 33 seconds to go through them = a bit over 0.1 s for each file.

I have no idea if this is normal (never tried it before).

MC 11.1.123 / 2.8 GHz P4.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 07:17:45 am »

Never heard of Kapersky but thanks for the suggestion. It seems if you select a subset of your library, it will work fine. However if you analyze the entire library and only have a couple un-analyzed files, that's when it slows down. It knows if a file has already been Done, but seems to still run through each of those files anyway rather than just skipping it.
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 01:02:33 pm »

Adding certain DirectShow filetypes could cause slowdowns when MC determines whether it can decode and analyze the file.  It only does this when it hits a file with no analysis.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 03:38:53 pm »

Not sure what a DirectShow filetype is. My setup has to be the simplest because it's all MP3's. I guess the problem must just be me because apparently nobody else can reproduce it. Guess I'll just have to create a view scheme that will show only unalyzed MP3's so that the speed won't be an issue.
Jeff

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 03:51:27 pm »

Guess I'll just have to create a view scheme that will show only unalyzed MP3's so that the speed won't be an issue.

"Task -- needs audio analysis" is one of the default smartlists in the Add Smartlist > Smartlist Rule drop-down list. I have used it for years.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 04:22:07 pm »

I guess the problem must just be me because apparently nobody else can reproduce it.

You are NOT the only one. I have about 10 000 mp3 on a local drive.
One night I analyzed about 2000 of them. The next morning I selected the whole library and selected skip analyzed.
I thought it was just a normal windows hickup or something. I tried MANY times with the same result.  At the beginning I thought the program had chrashed. But found out that the process was painfully slow. And is hard to cancel the operation.

There are workarounds, so it's not a serious problem, but still a problem....
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

dcwebman

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 07:02:01 am »

Alex, thanks for the tip on the default smartlist. I added it and funny that it brought up 7 files but only 1 really needed analyzing. I'll be upgrading to the latest version today so see if that still does the same.

MrHaugen, thanks for making me know I'm not crazy.  :D
Jeff

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 07:07:20 am »

It happens because some tracks don't have a measurable beat (BPM) or the Replay Gain value is exactly 0.00 dB.

I have eight tracks like that in my 37000 track library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up