INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to lock open smartlists on the tree?  (Read 3450 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
Is there a way to lock open smartlists on the tree?
« on: February 22, 2006, 02:52:37 pm »

I have created 5 smartlists for myself, one to display albums from each of the 5 decades, the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's & 00's.

Just did a search for "year" and then limited it to"between 1960 and 1969" for example. I then cut and pasted the search formula into a smartlist and presto a smart list to show all my albums from the 60's, i then added a comment label to display as "Hippie Generation."  ;D

In the tree view on the left is there a way to lock open the playlist/smartlist header so my 5 smartlists are always displayed?

Under options, tree view i have auto collapse turned off but everytime i restart MC11 all the headers in the tree view collapse and i have to reopen playlist/smartlist again to see my decade lists.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TC  :)

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
Re: Is there a way to lock open smartlists on the tree?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 03:20:46 pm »

Hi TC,

A possible workaround would be using the favorites option (View->Navigation). Create a button on the toolbar and you'll have a one-click access to your most used playlists, view schemes, etc.

Here's a picture of how mine looks:

and a link to a larger image:

http://www.deivit.net/mediacenter/mc11.jpg

Not exactly what you're after, but hope it helps.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 03:52:59 pm »

Thanks Deivit, as usual didn't have a clue that i could do something like what you suggested. Got the concept up and working and it pretty much does the same thing.

Appreciate it.

TC  :)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 04:19:42 pm »

How do you get the view->navigation option onto the toolbar?

Cheers,

Mark

Deivit

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 01:50:28 am »

TC,
Glad it helped.

Mark,
You have to add the button to your toolbar. I'm not at home now and don't recall the exact name of the options but basically you have to right click on the bottom toolbar, chose customize toolbar, select the top toolbar, chose the icon for "Navigation" on the left pane and add it to the right pane, move it up or down to the desired position and you're set.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 03:07:53 am »

you can then use your toolbar button to add services and plugins locations (no right click menu in there ;) ) to your list of favourites.

Select the service, or plugin, that you'd like a shortcut to in the tree, then click on your toolbar button and choose 'add to favourites'

The 'navigation' toolbar button is really useful. Sadly, it's getting left behind in the MC11.1 'spit and polish' department.
Historically, the list of saved locations gets trashed with each major version upgrade. It makes it a particularly fragile tool, and the longer you use it, and develop it, the more fragile it becomes.

Personally, I'd like to see the 'navigational favourites' list saved in a library backup.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=25674.0

gappie

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 03:15:03 am »

now this is a great solution. why did i not find it myself. thanks :)

could even put 'playing now' in the toolbar. can leave the tree out of sight now, with all those things i dont use. Great

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 04:13:43 am »

Yep it works!  I'd really love to see the firefox bookmark type tabs available in MC to give direct access to favourite items.

Mark

Deivit

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 05:13:04 am »

now this is a great solution. why did i not find it myself. thanks :)

could even put 'playing now' in the toolbar. can leave the tree out of sight now, with all those things i dont use. Great

Yep, this is basically what I do. I have the tree always hidden and navigate using the favorites, where I have the most used plug-ins, view schemes, smartlists, etc.
It would be great if the "navigation" menu could be more customizable, for instance to the extent of accepting nested menus.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 06:55:45 am »

Arrg my head hurts, lol. OK, now how does one hide the tree out of sight?, been trying to find a way to do it and just not seeing it, as usual.  ;D

TC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 07:10:22 am »

You can hide it temporarily by clicking on the arrows on the divider that separates the tree from the "grid view".  However, it will come back the next time you start up MC, and hiding it will also hide the Action Windows (which is why it needs to come back).  The Tree navigation is too important so JRiver doesn't want Noobs to accidentally hide it and not be able to get it back up.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 07:11:29 am »

It would be great if the "navigation" menu could be more customizable, for instance to the extent of accepting nested menus.

Wouldn't this just be the Tree then?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dcwebman

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 07:32:13 am »

Thanks for this topic. I just learned something new and love the navigation pull-down!
Jeff

Deivit

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 07:36:51 am »

Wouldn't this just be the Tree then?

Well, sort of a tree... but without taking up the real estate, with the ability to show only the "branches" that you use the most, sorted or grouped to your liking.

Add to that a "floating" action window that you could dock or undock so that you don't need to reveal the tree for a quick tagging work...  :)

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 08:56:10 am »

Holy crap!, i can see a string of cool new views now that i know how to hide the tree. This allows for two things, one a lot more album thumbnails from a given genre can now be displayed on my monitor screen and two now i can run about the same amount of thumbnails on my screen but now in larger size.

It has taken awhile but i am beginning see just how dam cool this program really is, thanks to all for the help.

There must be a way to keep the tree view locked in hidden mode, it's not that big of deal to just click the dividers once upon opening media center next time but i bet it can be done some how.

TC  ::)

LonWar

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 09:30:30 am »

Just remember that the tree doesn't auto show, when the Action Window is needed....

This has really confused me in the past when importing.
-
Pages: [1]   Go Up