INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC10 & MC11 crash when inserting new CDs  (Read 4651 times)

NetMage

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
MC10 & MC11 crash when inserting new CDs
« on: April 23, 2006, 06:59:54 pm »

In MC10, I could load up 3 CDs and RIP them, but if I tried to insert a new CD when MC ejected one (RIP to wave), I would often crash. Sometimes one or two CDs would work, then I would crash. I normally waited until all CDs finished RIPping, then inserted new ones, getting hard lockup.

In MC11, had the same issue and worse - MC11 sometimes crashed when it ejected the CD.

I have disabled the shell hardware detection service, and MC11 is crashing less.

JimH suggests a hardware problem, could be, but I doubt it. MC10 crashed on my previous PC. I upgraded, replacing hard drive, motherboard, processor, RAM, case/power supply, video card. Installed fresh XP Pro - MC10 still crashed on CD insert. I have autoplay disabled in TweakUI.

No other application crashes on CD insert except MC.

Forgot to mention crash after disabling Shell Hardware Detection service seem to involve MC becoming confused about YADB when multiple choices were present and it offer the dialog.

BTW, when I did Tools|Options while doing File Format Conversion, the conversion stopped running in the middle and I had to restart MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC10 & MC11 crash when inserting new CDs
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 07:04:49 pm »

If you doubt that it's a hardware problem, please confirm that it doesn't work on another PC.

If you can't do that, try uninstalling anything else that accesses the drive.  Nero has caused problems in the past.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 10:21:01 pm »

This was happening to me recently. The problem was NOT MC11. Apparently, Winamp installs a "CD filter driver" to support the Sonic CD burning engine. A recent Windows update is not compatible with this driver. Result: problems with anything related to CDs, including some BSODs.

What I did:

1) right-click My Computer
2) choose "Manage"
3) click the Device Manager
4) click the CD/DVD drives
5) right-click your drive
6) choose properties
7) find the tab with driver details
8) in the list of drivers, see if there is one without a green check box called "px20hlp.dll" or something like that
9) if there is, open regedit, search for a key called LowerFilter or UpperFilter
10) if the value of the key is the same as the driver listed in 8), delete it
11) restart the computer
12) everything should be OK

It is possible that other filter drivers may be involved - in my case, deleting the Sonic driver was enough.

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 09:23:53 am »

...Forgot to mention crash after disabling Shell Hardware Detection service seem to involve MC becoming confused about YADB when multiple choices were present and it offer the dialog....
Please try the next build of 11.1, anything greater than 177. I made a fix for a bug when YADB was accessed for multiple CD's simultaneously. Let me know how it works.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

NetMage

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 10:34:26 pm »

I did have a pxhelp20 entry which I removed, but that did not help.

I have removed the GearASPIWDM filter (iTunes), the imapi and redbook filters (Windows XP), disabled the Shell Hardware Detection service and the IMAPI CD Burning service.

At this point it seems to be working ok, but I haven't done enough to fully confirm.

Where can I get a version > .177? That is the latest beta I see.

modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 04:05:55 am »

Get it here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33392.0

or from the top of the forum.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 09:56:15 am »

Actually, 178 isn't available yet, but it will be soon.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

NetMage

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 05:24:28 pm »

I think there are still a couple of YADB problems with MC 11.178.

I opened MC then put in 3 CDs one at a time. First dialog I saw was a YADB choice dialog, I selected one and pressed OK. Next I saw unable to contact YADB. I then click on Drives and Devices, saw another contacting YADB selection.

When I opened Drives and Devices, Drive 1 had description and tracks, Drive 2 said unknown album, Drive 3 said Compact Disc. Clicked on Drive 2, did update from YADB, saw connecting, then tracks updated, but CD Drive did not show title. Clicked on drive 3, saw tracks. Reclicking on drives updated titles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up