INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicmatch Jukebox Tags  (Read 3933 times)

knasil

• Recent member
Musicmatch Jukebox Tags
« on: May 03, 2006, 09:16:28 am »

Hi,

I  am an old user of Musicmatch Jukebox 10 and I am considering the purchase of J River Media Center on the basis of its ipod and multimedia support. However, after being using MMJ10 for such a long time I am very concerned about the MC capabilities when it comes to importing MMJB tags. I was happy when I found a claim in the following website stating the ability of MC to load MMJ tags (http://www.jrmediacenter.com/features.html)

So far I have tried the web 30-days trial and it does the job fairly well except when it comes to read MMJ10 more specific tags such as those for classical music. When I imported my large classical music library I found that the whole information on orchestra, work, movement, period, classical genre, conductor, featured performers, instruments, etc was lost! I cannot afford to lose all this precious information from my database. I hope there is a solution for this since I really would like to buy MC.

regards,

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Musicmatch Jukebox Tags
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 12:37:05 pm »

Currently these custom MusicMatch fields are supported:
MusicMatch_Tempo
MusicMatch_Mood
MusicMatch_Situation
MusicMatch_Bio
MusicMatch_Preference

We also support the standard ID3v2 fields composer, conducter, lyricist, etc.

If we had more information about the additional proprietary MusicMatch fields, we might be able to help.  If you don't mind, send a sample file to matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 09:16:31 pm »

I too, am a long time user of MMJB and use its tag features to Label all of my files. However, I use MC as my jukebox application which means I must import all of my files to the library. This is where my troubles begin. MC consistently loses tag information (art work, Bios, Comments). After rebuilding my library with MMJB several times I got wise and copied all of my files to DVD's. Now I just pull the missing or switched tag info from the DVD's. It did me no good to re-add the correct information from within MC. It just created more errors in my file tags

knasil

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 05:47:37 am »

Hi, I just emailed you with an example of a Classical music file that was tagged with Musicmatch 10 and that loses its classical music info when read by MC. Hope it is useful.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 06:18:22 am »

If the tag information is in the file, it's doubtful that it is erased by MC.  It may not be displayed by MC, however.  You can add new tags to what MC displays.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 10:04:26 am »

Next build:

Changed: Added "Conductor" as a default library field. (Media Center has always saved / loaded this from MP3 tags once created, but now it'll be automatically created)
NEW: After creating the fields "Instruments", "Featured Performers", "Classical Genre", "Track Artist", doing an "Update Library (from tags)" will load proprietary MusicMatch data for these fields.

This should allow full support of all the tags present in the file you sent me. (after creating a few of the fields by hand in Options > Library)

Let us know how you fare.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 03:02:32 pm »

From the 11.1.182 thread:
What does this mean for my user defined field "conductor", that was defined long time ago?
Will the tags move some way? Will the audio files (mostly ape) change?

This change concerns only the mp3/ID3v2 tags. A field named exactly as "Conductor" has used the standard TPE3 tag for a long time and there is no change in the behavior.

The only caveat is that if the user has previously defined the "Instruments", "Featured Performers", "Classical Genre" and "Track Artist" as custom fields MC would not recognize the old ID3v2 custom tags anymore. That would be a problem when importing to a new library.

EDIT

I tested this with MC 11.1.181 custom tags. MC 11.1.182 couldn't read these tags from mp3 files. Luckily I have used a custom field named as "Solo Performer" instead of "Featured Performers" or "Track Artist" for performers like lead violinists, pianists etc.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 03:08:10 pm »

The only caveat is that if the user has previously defined the "Instruments", "Featured Performers", "Classical Genre" and "Track Artist" as custom fields MC would not recognize the old ID3v2 custom tags anymore. That would be a problem when importing to a new library.

Actually MC will support both storage methods during a tag read. (if there's conflicting information the MusicMatch info would win, but this would be a very rare scenario so who wins is likely irrelevant)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 03:20:59 pm »

Before posting I tested this with MC 11.1.181 custom tags. MC 11.1.182 couldn't read those tags from mp3 files. Luckily I have used a custom field named as "Solo Performer" instead of "Featured Performers" or "Track Artist" for performers like lead violinists, pianists etc.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 03:26:39 pm »

I'll try to reproduce this with a clean file that contains only MC11.1.181 tags. I'll send you a sample if the problem still persists.

EDIT

I sent you a mail.

knasil

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 06:36:49 am »

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I tried your suggestion and created the fields "Instruments", "Featured Performers", "Classical Genre", "Track Artist.
However, Media Center did not load the corresponding Musicmatch fields except in the case of "Conductor", which is now a default Media Center field.

Could you please have a look again at this issue?

Next build:

Changed: Added "Conductor" as a default library field. (Media Center has always saved / loaded this from MP3 tags once created, but now it'll be automatically created)
NEW: After creating the fields "Instruments", "Featured Performers", "Classical Genre", "Track Artist", doing an "Update Library (from tags)" will load proprietary MusicMatch data for these fields.

This should allow full support of all the tags present in the file you sent me. (after creating a few of the fields by hand in Options > Library)

Let us know how you fare.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 10:37:29 am »

It works for me.

Did you upgrade to MC11.1.184?

Can you see the Musicmatch tags in Action Window > File Properties > File Type Info ?
The Musicmatch tag headers start with COMM (MusicMatch_...

Did you do "Update Library (from tags)" or try with previously unimported files?

knasil

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 06:42:18 pm »

Thank you very much,

It all works now! 

BTW, I just purchased your software and I'd strongly recommend it over Musicmatch Jukebox.

;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up