INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cant Play DTS CD  (Read 3509 times)

mata7

• World Citizen
  • Me Drunk Singing Salsa
Cant Play DTS CD
« on: May 17, 2006, 03:05:17 pm »

hi guys im trying to play a DTS CD And all i hear is static noise, Can MC play dts cd?

i have SBlaster X-FI EMusic output SPDIF to my reciver

thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Cant Play DTS CD
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 04:54:48 pm »

MC can definitely do bit-perfect output. (which is all you need for SPDIF output of DTS to an outboard decoder)

Try using ASIO for the cleanest audio path.  Otherwise, make sure no DSPs or driver DSPs are running that could be mangling the data.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mata7

• World Citizen
  • Me Drunk Singing Salsa
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 05:32:11 pm »

how do i check if not DSPs or driver DSPs are running, i dont have any DSP Drivers installed, and how do i use ASIO

thanks for you help

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 06:12:58 pm »

how do i check if not DSPs or driver DSPs are running, i dont have any DSP Drivers installed, and how do i use ASIO

thanks for you help

Goto Player
Playback Options
Playback Options
Under Ouput Mode Setting, Choose ASIO

Player
Playback Options
DSP Studio
Make sure nothing is checked
-

mata7

• World Citizen
  • Me Drunk Singing Salsa
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 06:41:16 pm »

i did all that you recommend and i still get no sound only static noise

any more idea?

i use Media Center 11.1.184, XP Pro SP2

thanks

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 08:25:45 pm »

I never could get it to work either with my Audigy2 ZS. Creative does have a player that works well with DTS but it would be nice to get our old pal MC to play it.
What would REALLY be nice is if it could play DVD Audio. Creative also has a player that does that.

Side note: Buy.com makes no distinction between DTS and DVD Audio discs. That's how I ended up with a DTS. Sounds great though.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

mata7

• World Citizen
  • Me Drunk Singing Salsa
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 12:18:55 am »

before i istalled it, you say the Creative DVD Audio player can play DTS Audio CD?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 01:46:32 am »

DTS audio CDs use the 44.1 kHz sample rate. Previously all Creative cards resampled the output to 48 kHz and bit perfect playback of 44.1 kHz audio was not possible. Such a resampling destroys the DTS stream.

I doubt the Creative software DVD player can send 44.1 kHz DTS audio data through the SPDIF digital output. In addition, I guess if it can play DVD-Audio discs (48 kHz or more) it decodes the data and uses the analog 5.1 outputs.

One thing that is not mentioned is MC's volume slider. It must be at the maximum position if the Internal Volume option is selected. Also, the Cross-fade track-switching mode alters data and cannot be used. The best track-switching mode for DTS audio is Gapless that plays the CD like a standalone hifi player.

The ASIO output mode and a correctly working ASIO driver is needed for bypassing the Windows Kernel Mixer, which cannot pass audio data in unaltered form.

If I have understood correctly the current SoundBlaster X-FI series cards are capable of playing 44.1 kHz audio without resampling, but I have no experience of that. In any case all kind of audio processing must be disabled in the Creative control panel options. Also, you must find out how the card can be locked to use the 44.1 kHz sample rate only and made to pass the output directly to SPDIF.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mata7

• World Citizen
  • Me Drunk Singing Salsa
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 02:20:04 am »

thanks for you help man

i don't understand what the problem could be, i have my X-FI Drivers update Whit the last drivers, on MC I Have Select Gapless I Always like that, the volume slider to maximum but still don't work

do i need a especial ASIO Drivers? , cause i only install the creative Drivers from creative website because i don't use all the program that come Whit the CD

i have select ASIO on Output on MC, If i play regular mp3 it sound great, does that mean that ASIO drivers are ok?

again thanks for you help and sorry about my Inglis, as you can see is not my first language

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 02:59:21 am »

I have understood that you need to enable the so called "Creation mode" in the X-Fi sound card options. Also, try to find all 44.1 kHz switches and enable them.

Though, these AVS Forum threads may indicate that the X-Fi is not capable of bit perfect pass through of 44.1 kHz DTS streams after all:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=590338
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591103

However, besides the Creative ASIO driver you could try the ASIO4ALL driver: www.asio4all.com. It works for me (with a different sound card). I can play DTS audio CDs and ripped DTS wave files bit perfectly through SPDIF. My playback chain is as follows:

MC11.1, ASIO output mode >  ASIO4ALL driver >  Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96 sound card > coaxcial SPDIF (also optical works) > Yamaha DD/DTS receiver.

Edit: edited a bit...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mata7

• World Citizen
  • Me Drunk Singing Salsa
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 03:38:31 am »

oh boy thanks for you help man i got it working now :) , am list now a Santana DTS CD wiht all the sound surround me :), i set Creative Mode, MC Direct Sound Output, bit perfect playback  and thas all that i need to do

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOU HELP :)

AM HAVING A BEER RIGHT NOW
Pages: [1]   Go Up