INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPnp ?s  (Read 1543 times)

rokuuser

• Recent member
UPnp ?s
« on: May 17, 2006, 05:35:23 pm »

Hi I have been using Roku Soundbridge 1001 for a month now

Why doesnt the Media Center UPnp server support a search feature (ex- on Roku, in itunes, Roku can search by letter of the artist name... in MediaCenter, it supports browse not search)

Are there plans to allow search by artist?

I would love if this could be added...

sonicbox

• Recent member
Re: UPnp ?s
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 06:20:25 pm »

For the search button to work, the UPnP AV server needs to support UPnP AV search functions. When UPnP AV search is available, the SoundBridge generates it's own menu UI.  (The XBox 360 does the same thing.)

Microsoft's WMC 2.0 supports UPnP AV, as does Yahoo! Music Engine.  J River MC currently does not.  You only see the UPnP AV server containers it exposes directly.

Or, you use a DAAP based media server (like iTunes, or Firefly/mt-daap) -- which always support search.

rokuuser

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 06:59:52 pm »

thanks

is it easy to code the jriver server to support UPnP AV search functions?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 09:26:33 am »

The search functions are actually almost done.

But one thing that has held me back is that the Roku will ignore MC's tree structure completely if search is enabled. This kills a lot of the advantages of using MC...

j

sonicbox

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 11:08:48 am »

Yep, once search is available... the UI is generated by the SoundBridge and there is little special about  using MC as your UPnP AV server.  (Just like when you connect to iTunes or Firefly/mt-daap.)

You could, of course, still "Browse Server Containers" to get at MC's UNnP AV containers directly when you want to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up