INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to get album art to display on iPod Nano  (Read 4726 times)

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Trying to get album art to display on iPod Nano
« on: May 24, 2006, 10:49:04 pm »

I just got an iPod Nano today.  Didn't install iTunes at all.  I was able to sync a playlist of 111 tracks to the Nano.  The songs play fine and they all transferred, but none of the album art is visible.

I spent about an hour making sure all of the tracks had album art images associated.  I have all of the art listed in a windows folder and used "add from file" to match the art to the song.

I made sure "Enable artwork support if possible" was checked.  When I play the song, (text only) the Title, Album and Artist are displayed, but no picture of the album art.

Can someone please tell me how to get the art on the Nano?  Thanks.

Media Center Registered 11.1.183 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2384 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 99 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive D: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-240B   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F: ATAPI   DVD DD 2X16X4X16  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: SAMSUNG  CD-R/RW SW-240B    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive F: ATAPI    DVD DD 2X16X4X16   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Trying to get album art to display on iPod Nano
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 06:11:48 pm »

Still no success.  I tried a test song by saving the art in an Album-Artist folder next to the file and saved the art inside the tag.

After transferring, I can even view the image in the File Properties->Image box in MC when I browse the Nano thru MC.  So, at that point it seems the art is on the Nano.

Next, I "safely remove hardware" and disconnect the Nano, but when I view the song, there is no Album Art displayed.

When I connect the Nano back to the computer and view the Nano with MC, the art has disappeared. (Probably never was there)

Someone please help.  I was really looking forward to viewing Album Art on the Nano and this is frustrating.  I'm doing my best to avoid loading iTunes on my PC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 06:47:08 pm »

You might try updating the firmware.  There is more info in the thread on iPods near the top of this forum.  I think there's a link to the Apple site there as well.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 08:24:04 pm »

Hi Jim.  I visited Apple support as you suggested but my firmware version of 1.1.1 appears to be the latest available.

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 02:34:36 pm »

Bullish Dad,

Are you still syncing the same 111 songs as you inititially tested with?  If so, and if you have not done so, you may want to try deleting all of the songs off of the Nano and then syncing again.  It is possible that the songs were not initially transferred with the artwork, and even if you have used the "add from file" command, MC does not realize that the file has been modified and will therefore not send the cover art over on subsequent syncs.  If this is in fact the issue, deleting and re-syncing should fix it.

I hope this helps.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 03:12:19 pm »

razumik, I have tried deleting everything off the Nano and re-syncing.  The result was the same.

I was wondering if it matters how the Album Art is associated with the file.  Although I did transfer single tracks with with the art "next to" and "inside" the file, but still could not view the art on the Nano.

I have never used iTunes or even installed it, and was hoping MC would take care of the art.  From what I read, it seems that as long as "Enable Artwork Support" is checked, and it is, then this should be simple.

I looked at the Nano settings and it doesn't appear that there is anything that needs to be turned "on" to enable the art to display.

It seems that the Nano database is not getting the image, but I don't know why.

I'm willing to try any reasonable suggestion, so if you can think of anything else that could work, please let me know.

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 03:43:05 pm »

It may be that MC does not recognize that your particular IPOD is able to accept artwork.  I had the same problem when I purchased a 1GB nano shortly after they came out:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32297.msg221782#msg221782

It may be that your particular model number needs to be added to the "supported" list.

razumik

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 04:00:08 pm »

What's the model number?

Start MC, enable logging (Help > Configure Debug Logging...), then restart MC.

Then plug in the iPod.

Post the lines from the log about iPod loading here.  Hopefully it's as simple as updating for a newer model number.

Thanks for your help.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 05:01:58 pm »

Jim,

I have a 1 GB Nano.

There was more to the log, but I copied the part which includes the Model No.

0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::Initialize: Start
0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::Initialize: Loading settings
0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::Initialize: Determining iPod type
0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::DetermineIpodType: Start
0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::DetermineIpodType: SysInfo Path: G:\iPod_Control\Device\SysInfo
0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::DetermineIpodType: System info file loaded... parsing
0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::DetermineIpodType: ModelNumStr search index: 51
0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::DetermineIpodType: Ipod Model: A353
0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::DetermineIpodType: Ipod Type: Generic (0)
0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::DetermineIpodType: Finish (0 ms)
0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::Initialize: Artwork: 0, Photos: 0, Videos: 0
0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::Initialize: Building database objects
0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::Initialize: Loading main database: G:\iPod_Control\iTunes\iTunesDB
0020938: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::Initialize: Database exists
0020985: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::Initialize: Database loaded
0021000: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::Initialize: Database parsed
0021000: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::Initialize: Loading artwork databases
0021000: Handheld: CPortableDriveIpod::Initialize: Finish (62 ms)

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 05:53:43 pm »

razumik,

Thanks for your help and for suggesting a possible fix by adding the model number to the "supported list".  It looks like my model is A353.  Do you remember what yours was?

I think there's a very good chance that the Model# needs to be added and will be the answer. I was about to install iTunes to see if I have the same art problem, but now I'm content to wait and see what Jim says.

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 08:25:11 am »

Mine appears to be MA352LL so it appears that yours may be the next number in the series.  Hopefully that will be the case.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 10:26:11 am »

Next build of MC 11.1.
Fixed: iPod Nano model # MA353LL/A was not properly detected.

The strange thing is that I can't find MA353 mentioned anywhere online.  Is it preproduction or something?  (MC352 is mentioned all over)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 01:58:22 pm »

Matt, I received my Nano from a promotion when signing up for a New York Jets Mastercard.  It even has the Jets logo engraved on the back. :)  I'm guessing Apple produced a special batch for the promo, hence the new model number.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next build to see if it fixes my album art problem.  I'll let you know the results.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 05:11:08 pm »

Updated to build 11.1.186 and the album art transferred perfectly.

Thank you  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up