INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Cover Art thread: keeping manually attached ones intact forever..  (Read 5054 times)

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile

Sorry, I know this has been done to death but after a search and finding the supposed definitive post on how to properly attach your cover art I am still not clear.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32323.msg221984#msg221984

I have roughly half my collection that will not locate cover art from the Internet, so I have been downloading them from Amazon.com as they have nearly all of them.  I have been placing them in a specific folder under “My Documents” .

My problem is that after any glitch in the library that requires a restore, all the manually attached cover art from this folder is no longer connected to the music files, so time after time I reattach the cover art using the “Image/File from disc” command and pointing it to this directory and then finding the appropriate thumbnail and selecting it.  After doing this over and over for the last two and a half years I keep think that there has to be a better way.  I am using Music Lobby as an interface and am told that I cannot embed the images in the files because it wont show these images in Music Lobby.

My question is if and how can I easily repair whatever directory structure that tells MC11 what image file goes with each music file.  There has to be something in MC11 that points to the file name of each cover art, so I’m thinking that there must be a way to back up this structure or repair it without reinserting all the images over and over again.  I tried to store the images in the folders that MC11 stores its images in but there is a bunch of folders (small, medium, large) and the images are scattered all over many folders in the medium folder so I cant tell what’s going on or where to put them.  I also tried the Fast locate image (something like that) command and it does work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my biggest outstanding issue to date and a fix or one time work around would be a life saver.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

... I reattach the cover art using the “Image/File from disc” command and pointing it to this directory ...
If you have set the directory correctly in MC Options, you can select multiple audio files and do a right click/Quick Find ..... 

kingdaddy

• World Citizen

If you have set the directory correctly in MC Options, you can select multiple audio files and do a right click/Quick Find ..... 

This did not work for me, as I stated, I already tried that; the quick find doesn’t seem to work at all in my case.  The files for the images have not changed location or name, but after a restore of the library the links to these files seems to be lost, that’s why I was asking for a way to repair or backup these links that point to the images.  BTW, how would I properly set the directory in options?  Maybe thats my only problem.

In fact I have never been able to get any of the tools to work as far as rebuilding the manually inserted album covers, and I've tried them all, so this is not a one-time occurrence.  I realize that my machine or particular build might have some corruption if this tool has been proven to work in the past on the latest version of MC11, but in my case it would save me a lot of grief if I could find a work around to rebuild the links to this file because obviously something is wrong with my newly installed setup.
 :)

JimH

• Administrator

Are the files in the cover art named the same as the audio files?

Example:
Bebel Gilberto - Tanto Tempo.jpg
C:\music\Bebel Gilberto\Tanto Tempo\03 - Tanto Tempo.ape

Also, double check the setting for the location of the track images.
Tools/Options/File Locations/Track images location

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

Kingdaddy, I spent the better part of a weekend trying to clean up my cover art mess.  I agree that this is a difficult and confusing area.

The post from Alex B that you linked to was very helpful to me in order to understand what was needed.  I don't have access to MC11 now, but I will try to post again if you don't get other help in the meantime.

The main thing to figure out is how you are going to store the cover art.  There is "Next to File", "Inside File", and separate directory.

I'd been using separate directory, but changed to "Next to File" as descibed by Alex and also instructed MC to store "Inside" as well.  I did not have a consistent naming format which made it difficult for me to redirect the art.

If you try to redirect, make sure you keep a copy of all your art in a separate backup folder.

In MC options, you tell the program how your art is stored.  Quickfind worked for me when I placed the art "Next" to the files.  This means that the art is stored with the tracks for a given album when you set up a directory structure as [Album]\[Artist].

kingdaddy

• World Citizen

Are the files in the cover art named the same as the audio files?

Example:
Bebel Gilberto - Tanto Tempo.jpg
C:\music\Bebel Gilberto\Tanto Tempo\03 - Tanto Tempo.ape

Also, double check the setting for the location of the track images.
Tools/Options/File Locations/Track images location

I'm not sure I quite understand you here.  It seems like your saying that every single song would need a cover art file with the same title to match the song, if this is true then I would have to have 10-15 album covers with different names on each song, that would be crazy so I’m sure I’m missing the point.

What I have is a very simple system, no stray songs, only full albums with a single cover art file name manually attached.  For instance:

Cars shake it up album has a cover art file with the same name attached to the entire list of songs in this album folder.

I really do think the directory tree structure in the options command could be the key, I’ve never messed with this nor do I even understand it properly.  It seems like I need to use the “inside separate directory method but obviously that is not enough, the directory structure must play a role in this working properly.

Still, it would be nice to know if there is a way to repair this directory that links the cover art to the files in case all else fails, is there no way to do this?

JimH

• Administrator

I did not have a consistent naming format which made it difficult for me to redirect the art.
If you use copy and paste to get art from a web page and paste it into MC's image window, MC will name it for you.  I've never named a cover art file.

JimH

• Administrator

I would have to have 10-15 album covers with different names on each song
The single jpg example I used above gets used for all the tracks on that album.

kingdaddy

• World Citizen

So I am correct in thinking that a separately named but identical album cover art will be attached to each song in an album folder?  Wouldn’t this severely slow down the displaying of the cover art in Music Lobby, its already slow enough, I cant imagine waiting any longer for the thumbs to appear while flipping through the pages in the thumb directory.  Also, what’s wrong with the built in command that I thought I was supposed to use.  I normally highlight the entire list of songs that belong to one album and right click to bring up the menu that has the attach image option, then I go to add form file and point to the correct cover art, just like the Help file says.  If dragging and dropping will work without slowing down anything I will gladly use this method as it would be easier then what I had been doing, but I would still like to know if the directory that links these cover art files could be repaired or backed up separately in case I cant get good results with this method.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

MC can use cover art automatically from a single common folder if the files are named exactly as [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album].jpg. Often the Album Artist (auto) field is automatically the same as the Artist field, but with multiple artists albums MC uses "(Multiple Artists)".

By default MC uses only one cover art image for each album, but you can manually link any image file to any music file. Before MC's "Find" tool can automatically find a correctly named and placed cover art file you need to remove the old cover art link first if it exists.

The files you have in the "medium" folder are only for thumbnail previews (MC11.0 used separate thumbnail files). You should upgrade to MC11.1. It has a bit better cover art handling and it uses only one common thumbnail file for all thumbnails.

If the cover art files are located in the music file folders (one image file in each album folder) you can use the Folder.jpg naming system too.

I have never lost my cover art links since they are included in my library backup files. You should backup your library (= MC's database) before and after any big changes. In addition, MC 11.1 makes automatic library backups periodically.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kingdaddy

• World Citizen

MC can use cover art automatically from a single common folder if the files are named exactly as [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album].jpg. Often the Album Artist (auto) field is automatically the same as the Artist field, but with multiple artists albums MC uses "(Multiple Artists)".

Jim mentioned that the drag and drop method will name the files for you, this seems optimal as I might make a mistake in the naming and since its so rigid and has to be perfect for it to work I really don’t what to chance it, plus naming 300 files is not my idea of a fun week.  However, if this drag and drop method causes 10 times an many thumbnails then this might not be the best solution as I am using Music lobby to brows and build playlists.

By default MC uses only one cover art image for each album, but you can manually link any image file to any music file. Before MC's "Find" tool can automatically find a correctly named and placed cover art file you need to remove the old cover art link first if it exists.

How would I know this if none will answer my question of where this directory of links resides.  Is there another way to know and is this question taboo or something, I’ve asked it 4 times in a row and even seen a thread with a title and question of the same, but it was never answered.

The files you have in the "medium" folder are only for thumbnail previews. You should upgrade to MC11.1. It has a bit better cover art handling and it uses only one common thumbnail file for all thumbnails.

Unless I’m mistaken I am using the latest version, I recently rebuilt a boot drive and had to reinstall from the download section of the home page and am running on the trial time limit until I get my e-mail working again so I can re-register, could this have some affect?

If the cover art files are located in the music file folders (one image file in each album folder) you can use the Folder.jpg naming system too.

I don’t know what this is, never heard of it.  Be warned I am somewhat novice user in the fact I only use MC11 to store my already tagged and compressed files and use Music Lobby as the front end so many features I am not aware of.

I have never lost my cover art links since they are included in my library backup files. You should backup your libary (= MC's database) before and after any big changes. In addition, MC 11.1 makes automatic library backups periodically.

I back up religiously to multiple sources, not once have they ever helped me in the case of manually added coverart.  I leave everything at default and never touch any settings but the playback options and the remote control plugin.

Thanks for the reply, I hope I can understand enough to finally fix this nagging issue.  :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

How would I know this if none will answer my question of where this directory of links resides.  Is there another way to know and is this question taboo or something, I’ve asked it 4 times in a row and even seen a thread with a title and question of the same, but it was never answered.

It is where it is. It has a default location, but the path is editable. Have you checked the cover art options at all? (Tools > Options > File location > Track Images Location).

There you have three options: a single common folder that has an editable location (Location rule: In specific folder) and two naming options for storing the images "Next to file". Folder.jpg is one of the the naming options. When "Folder.jpg" is used each image file is located in the corresponding album folder and is named exactly as "Folder.jpg".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kingdaddy

• World Citizen

It is where it is. It has a default location, but the path is editable. Have you checked the cover art options at all? (Tools > Options > File location > Track Images Location)

I thought this was for the image directory of the MC11 added coverart, I didn’t want to mess with this as I thought I would loose all the coverart that I didn’t manually attach.  Are you saying that this directory is only for the coverart that I manually attach?  If so then I should only have to change it to point to the directory I made in My Documents, yes?  Or do I have to change the Image directory to read Artist/Album since all my manually added coverart is named that way.  Or better yet, the drag and drop method that Jim spoke of that will automatically name the coverart in the proper format.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid

Try this:

1. Make sure that all of your album art is named in the manner of [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album]
2. Go to Tools -> Options -> File Location
3. Under "Track Images Location" set "Location Rule" to "In Specific Folder"
4. Set "Path" to be the path where you keep all of your album art.
5. Click OK
6. Go to whatever audio view scheme you want that lists all of the files with the broken links.
7. Highlight them all.
8. Right click on the list, and go to Image -> Remove Cover Art
9. When and if asked if you also want to permanently delete the cover art files from your disk, say no.
10. Say Yes when asked to Confirm Library Changes
11.Once that's finished, right click on the list again, and go to Image -> Quick Find In Image/Cover Art Directory

If your tags are all correct, and your images all named correctly, this should link everything back up.

Also, if you have these settings set correctly, and everything is named and tagged correctly, then MC should be able to automatically assign the cover art to the files if you ever have to reimport them.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

Jim mentioned that the drag and drop method will name the files for you, this seems optimal as I might make a mistake in the naming and since its so rigid and has to be perfect for it to work I really don’t what to chance it, plus naming 300 files is not my idea of a fun week.  However, if this drag and drop method causes 10 times an many thumbnails then this might not be the best solution as I am using Music lobby to brows and build playlists.

Don't worry, MC uses only one image file for each album. Just select the album files and drag the image file to Action Window > Image (one album at a time)

- or do as Doof instructed.

I thought this was for the image directory of the MC11 added coverart, I didn’t want to mess with this as I thought I would loose all the coverart that I didn’t manually attach.  Are you saying that this directory is only for the coverart that I manually attach?  If so then I should only have to change it to point to the directory I made in My Documents, yes?  Or do I have to change the Image directory to read Artist/Album since all my manually added coverart is named that way.  Or better yet, the drag and drop method that Jim spoke of that will automatically name the coverart in the proper format.

It is for the original cover art image files. It doesn't matter if the files are downloaded by MC or manually attached.

Thumbnails are created automatically and stored in separate place. The original images are always needed for making these thumbnails.

Unless I’m mistaken I am using the latest version, I recently rebuilt a boot drive and had to reinstall from the download section of the home page and am running on the trial time limit until I get my e-mail working again so I can re-register, could this have some affect?

Help > About Media Center tells if it is 11.0 or 11.1. It is possible that the thumbnail files you have in the "medium" folder are not used anymore if you have upgraded to 11.1. You can safely delete them. MC will create new thumbnails automatically.

I would recommend installing the latest version from the release thread here in this forum (currently 11.1.185).

drosene

• Recent member

I have been using MC for three years and was never satisfied with my cover art until recently.  First I made the decision to move each cover art file from a single folder into their respective album folders.  Then the step that took more courage, renaming every one of those files, about 850 in all, the same name, folder.jpg!  I did keep a backup of course.  Next, I started MC and changed the Location Rule under File Locations to "Next to File (folder.jpg)".  Finally, I did a Tools/Import media for good measure as it seems to fix things up quite well when I move music, etc outside of MC.

It is now working great, both in MC, which my wife, kids and I all use when we are at our computers and for synching our ipods.  I also have to add that I recently built an HTPC which is in our family room next to my receiver.  There, I hate to admit, I am using Microsoft Media Center Edition as our interface as I like the way it "just works" when the HTPC starts up after hibernation and I never have to exit to another program or interface.  It immediately recognized my artist/album directory structure and all the folder.jpg's as album art.  You will also find that Windows explorer and maybe all file managers (I use Directory Opus) also recognize the folder.jpgs and displays them whenever I am working with my music directories.  I should add that I use ACDsee 8 for managing all my photos, which like my music, I just back up to the HTPC giving me both the functionality I want in the HTPC and the security of having my main PC backed up regularly.

Oh, I should also put in a "plug" for King Sparta's cover art finder plug in.  It works great and while I have not run it again since moving and renaming all my files, I am sure that he has that base covered... ::)

kingdaddy

• World Citizen

I wish I could get one single clear answer, to this point I'm still not sure which is the best way for me.  Lets simplify and not talk about the many different ways to do this, instead let’s talk about only one way.

I like the drag and drop method if its true that you don’t have to name anything properly or worry about storing the coverart manually in a folder somewhere.  Is this correct?

If I do the drag and drop method will I have to make any other changes to the image file path or names or anything?  Also will this solution work when I backup and restore, IOW, will I have to re-drag and drop all the images again?

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

I wish I could get one single clear answer, to this point I'm still not sure which is the best way for me.  Lets simplify and not talk about the many different ways to do this, instead let’s talk about only one way.

Doof's step by step instructions are about as clear as you're going to get. 

I will add that in Step 1, you must make sure the the art is named properly.  An example would be: Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run (notice the spaces on each side of the dash)

How did you save the art you copied from Amazon?  If it is not in the proper format, you will have to rename it or use the Drag and Drop method.

If you want to use Drag and Drop, make sure you have specifed a folder as Doof describes in Steps 2 thru 5.  Next you should Remove Cover Art as described in Steps 6-10.

Next, find the art, copy it to the clipboard, then go into MC.  Select all of the tracks that use the art, open File Properties->Image and Paste it into the image box.  This will give it a proper name and save it to the folder you specified in Steps 2 thru 5.  You have now associated one image to all of the songs that need it.

kingdaddy

• World Citizen

I’ve been doing the drag and drop method for two days now so I cant go back now.  I did not specify where the art was to be stored, as I am not storing anything, J Rivers MC11 is, whatever the default is.  Is this going to be a problem?  Do I need to copy the art manually to a specified folder as after I drag and drop to make this method work?

What can I do to make this drag and drop method that I have nearly completed work and not lose its links ever again?

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

You can leave it where it is, but you should "know" where it is. 

Go to Tools->Options and look under Track Images Location.  Can you tell me what it says for "Location Rule" and "Path"?

With this information, you should be able to navigate within Windows and find where these files are being stored, just so you know where it is.

The beauty of the "Quickfind in File/Cover Art Directory" command is that it will find the art according to the "Location Rule" and "Path".  So if you ever need to restore the art to the file, it can be done quickly.

kingdaddy

• World Citizen

OK I think I understand better now, the default path was somewhere in the J Rivers folder but I cant remember where, I'll work on this more when I get the time, However for now I have a much bigger problem with MC11.1.185.  After all the artwork is now finally attached (and I'll probably loose it again soon) I have found a severe problem with the library after my complete rebuild.  When I click on a particular song like AC/DC Back in Black, it plays Pink Floyd The Wall part 1, several music files are this way, don’t know how it happened as all my music files on the backup drive that I copied from are properly tagged and placed in folders properly when they were copied over.  I’ve done the update tags from library and that didn’t help, so I did the update library from tags, that didn’t help either, these commands are so confusing, I really have no idea what to expect or what to do to get the file names right, there right on my backup drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up