INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnail Display performance .. room for improvement ?  (Read 1573 times)

thibaud

• Recent member
Thumbnail Display performance .. room for improvement ?
« on: July 14, 2006, 12:06:31 pm »

Simply put, scrolling through album cover thumbnails (or image library thumbnails) is nowhere near the fluidity you get with let say something like acdsee or picasa.

My question is: If these guy can do it, why can't mc do it ?
I'm not asking for the smooth easing scrolling style of picasa (it would be nice indeed...) but at least I would expect mc to reach windows explorer display performance

While mc scrolling performance appears to be acceptable at smaller resolution, the pleasure & comfort of managing huge libraries on a 1920x1200 res display is somewhat ruined by mc bumpy scrolling behavior at that resolution.

JONCAT

Re: Thumbnail Display performance .. room for improvement ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:45:16 pm »

I see poor performance at 1368x768 with small album thumbs, the larger they are the smoother the scroll. Overall, definitely room for improvment. I thought there was mention of this in a 11.1 build a while back...maybe the MC12 Alpha thread too.

DC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 04:25:46 pm »

With a reasonable machine, MC should have very fast thumbnail scrolling.

Make sure you have the latest MC 11.1, and make sure your Windows disk isn't fragmented.

Also, I saw you mentioned having 286,502 images in another post.  Maybe test with a smaller library to see if it's the large library causing the issue.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 04:31:03 pm »

Another really important point is that MC may feel a little slow until all the thumbnails are built for a view because it runs 4 thumbnailing background threads until all the thumbs are built. (great for dual-core machines)

However, this is only a one time thing.  Once thumbnails are built, scrolling should be very smooth.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 04:59:13 pm »

or go to the options and rebuild missing thumbnails, leave it for some time or run it overnight.

..did that make any difference ?

JONCAT

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 05:39:27 pm »

I need to clarify my post; I load all Album thumbs by setting smallest thumb size. My disks are all IDE 7200 with a 2500mHz AMD 64bit cpu. I need to let them load up every now and then, like when MC hasn't been used in a while. On the smallest size I see a "wave" effect as I scroll down. This wave effect is minimized the larger I set the thumbs. I don't have an issue with thumbnail browsing for the most part, but the effect mentioned is bothersome for browsing large amounts of small tiles. Could be system specific, and I don't see a lot of other posts on this, or maybe no one uses really small thumbs that often.

DC

thibaud

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 10:10:07 pm »

Just to clarify things up, I was not testing with the image library...
I would probably not use MC to handle my image library since:
.I consider the scrolling performance to become a real issue when it comes to image management.
.Though tempting, I'm not convinced yet MC could make a replacement for the other image management tools I am using now.

However MC is clearly valuable when it comes to audio library management so my test have been conducted only with a music library in thumbnail mode (around 1.500 albums)
All thumbnails were built(btw, interestingly you should see how thumbnail building in acdsee doesn't affect the scrolling at all)

I unfortunately confirm that mc scrolling behavior is far from being smooth when run in a 1920x1200 window, be it with 300 or 1500 thumbnail displayed.
The "show stack" option obviously making things worse.
I'm not an expert, and i don't know how other programs achieve a smooth scrolling with the same size and number of thumbnails (some sort of "page" caching ?)
But I'm pretty confident MC thumbnail scrolling could be optimized, particularly for larger display resolution.

Hopefully my machine spec should be more than reasonable:
Dual opteron 285 (that's 4 cores running at 2,6ghz) with 4GB Ram
both 24' display are connected to a GeForce 7900 GTX
Library is stored on a fast (Sustained Transfer Rate of 300MB/s) 4 TB raid array

Best regards,

Thibaud
Pages: [1]   Go Up