INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Static Playing Now  (Read 8963 times)

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Static Playing Now
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2006, 11:35:36 am »

I use keyboard shortcuts often in other programs, but not MC for some reason.  I will try the Alt-2, but I mostly navigate by mouse through the library, so tend to navigate by mouse to Playing Now.
Alt + # (takes you somewhere) , Enter takes you to the Action Window.

What i really wish (when PN is maximised) that it also move the gripper and show me where i want to go eg. action window. I have auto-size on the tree disabled so a click on the gripper always opens it at the same place.

As it stands now i have to mouse to the gripper, locate the tiny < near the gripper and then do the combo for action window.

Another keyboard shortcut to get to the search box would be sweet as well.

I have not seen anyone come out in support of how it works now, all I have seen is people who do OTHER things.  Since the OTHER ways seem preferred, maybe we should remove playing now from the tree altogether.
There is the Artist info that takes you to AMG inside PN, would lose that too.

I think JRiver is having a joke on us, can't believe they would leave a wandering Playing Now in the final build.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2006, 12:05:33 pm »

Actually, the problem is not so big for me anymore after I added the Playing Now buttons to the toolbars. However, the toolbar buttons need to be configured first. This is not obvious for newbies. Perhaps the empty space below the Search could be used for a "Go to Playing Now" button.

I would like to have it like this:

The position slider should be as wide as possible (i.e. as wide as the info display) and the "play mode" buttons" should be moved below the Search. I would also like to have quick access to the "output mode" and "gapless/cross-fade" settings. These are my most used items in MC's options and also related to playback.

The button line could be like this:

Continuous -- Suffle -- DSP Studio -- Output mode, gapless/cross-fade etc* -- Go to Playing Now

* This would open the "Top menu > Player > Playback Options > Playback Options" window.

A mockup of my suggestion:

Continuous -- Suffle -- DSP Studio -- Playback Options -- Go to Playing Now

(I am not suggesting specifically these graphical symbols, just the two added buttons and the layout.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2006, 12:45:47 pm »

Another keyboard shortcut to get to the search box would be sweet as well.

Doesn't Ctrl-F get you there?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2006, 12:53:06 pm »

ctrl+F takes time on slower machines with big libraries as it loads up the entire library.

i just locate->Artist or Album ..then go to the search bar and key in my search.

...but i digress, maybe we should make another thread

"User requests for make benefit glorious software of JRiver"

modelmaker

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2006, 01:13:36 pm »

A mockup of my suggestion:

Continuous -- Suffle -- DSP Studio -- Playback Options -- Go to Playing Now

(I am not suggesting specifically these graphical symbols, just the two added buttons and the layout.)

I like that alot Alex! And it makes sense too, grouping the play related controls together.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2006, 01:51:12 pm »

I like that alot Alex! And it makes sense too, grouping the play related controls together.

I added the "Playback Options" button because often I accidentally press the DSP Studio button when I want to change the other playback options. This shortcut button would help.

I think the empty space below the Search box is not a designed layout detail. It is just a left over from the time when we had the old media mode buttons. Also the position slider is unnecessarily shorter than it could be. In my opinion a position slider can never be too long. A longer slider is especially useful with full-length movie files or with long audio tracks.

For comparison:

Listening to: 'Amarok' from 'Amarok' by 'Mike Oldfield' on Media Center 12
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2006, 06:22:21 am »

Wishful thinking:

:-\
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up