INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lalittle - mp4 playback problem over Media Server  (Read 6160 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
lalittle - mp4 playback problem over Media Server
« on: October 30, 2006, 09:41:50 pm »

- mp4 files have problems playing in MC12 -- especially over Media Server.

I've been reporting for several builds that mp4 files aren't playing over Media Server.  I have discovered that when I shorten the filename and path, they WILL open and start playing, but not very well.  There is a lot of starting/stopping/skipping, etc.  When I use my standard name and path, however, they don't play at ALL over Media Server.  I have NO problems playing them with Quicktime, both locally and over the network (using the longer version of the path/filename.  Note that this is NOT a network issue since it's only MC that has problems with these files, and it's only if a Media Server library is loaded.  If the "default' library is loaded, the SAME files in the SAME location play okay in MC.

- .log files won't open over Media Server.  The same files WILL open if I navigate to them via Drives and Devices on the client, or if I open them on the server, but if I atempt to open them from the library on the client, nothing happens.

- Audible files (aa files) do not show ANY artwork ("image" or "thumbnail") even though the "Image" window indicates that art is present "inside file."  This behavior is the same on both the client AND the server.  These same files DID show art in MC11.

Thanks,

Larry

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: lalittle - mp4 playback problem over Media Server
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 04:20:42 pm »

Regarding mp4 playback over Media Server, I am making some changes so that mp4 can be played in DirectShow instead of Quicktime.

Quicktime has trouble with long file names. With Media Server, we must change the filename in such a way all parts of a file path are lumped into a single file name. That is one source of problem.

When the file path is short, the file is played in Quicktime engine. Therefore the sound quality problem is likely QT problem. When you play the same song in QT over the network, were you playing the http streaming or just playing from the network drive?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:57:50 pm »

When the file path is short, the file is played in Quicktime engine. Therefore the sound quality problem is likely QT problem. When you play the same song in QT over the network, were you playing the http streaming or just playing from the network drive?

I'm not sure what you're referring to by "sound quality" problem.  I never said anything about sound quality that I can remember.

That said, when I play the file with QT over the network, I'm simply navigating to it via Explorer and playing it that way.  I'm not sure how to play the same file in QT with http streaming.

Thanks for helping with this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 05:02:42 pm »

One other thing:  Even when I DO use the shorter filename such that MC can play the files, they still play very poorly.  They start out "okay," but after a bit they have a lot of playback problems like skipping, etc.  This doesn't happen when just using Quicktime.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 05:15:09 pm »

I just tried 105, and it's still odd.  I still had the same behavior, so I went into the DirectShow settings on the Options page and checked "mp4" (which was unchecked.)  The same thing still happens -- the files with the long filenames don't play, and the file with the short filename plays even WORSE than before, constantly stopping/starting as it tries to play.

Just as a test, I switched to the "default" library (which I use to test) and tried playing the same files off the local drive.  They start up, but they play at what appears to be half speed.

Thanks again for any help with this,

Larry

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 05:43:14 pm »

By "sound quality" I really meant the "skipping" problem. I do not know why I typed sound quality, probably I meant to type "playback quality".  ;D

Just as a test, I switched to the "default" library (which I use to test) and tried playing the same files off the local drive.  They start up, but they play at what appears to be half speed.

DirectShow has trouble playing them. That is why this new build does not give you any improvement.

You should investigate what decoders are being used, and install better filters. Did you say you use FFDShow? Do you know if there is something special in your mp4 files that prevent FFDShow from working?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 06:09:20 pm »

You should investigate what decoders are being used, and install better filters. Did you say you use FFDShow? Do you know if there is something special in your mp4 files that prevent FFDShow from working?

What is FFDShow, and how would I go about installing "better filters"?

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 06:36:26 pm »

What is FFDShow, and how would I go about installing "better filters"?
MC12 should now install what it needs to.  Here's a thread that explains a little:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36564.0

glynor's posts on ffdshow are also good reading.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 06:39:33 pm »

What is FFDShow,

I guess you are not using it  :D

Do a search of FFDShow on this forum you will get a lot of discussions on it. Pay special attention to what glynor says about it.

A quick way of installing FFDShow is to try downloading a flv video from Google video (or YouTube), and try playing it in MC. MC will download and install needed filters, that includes FFDShow. This version is fairly stable. Try it. If it still gives you trouble, you should follow glynor's recommendation and install the CCCP pack from http://www.cccp-project.net/. See this [urlhttp://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36347.msg247875#msg247875]thread, fpr example.[/url]

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 06:41:15 pm »

MC12 should now install what it needs to. 

Only when you try playing flv videos, such as Google video.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 07:00:13 pm »

So, if you play a video from google, you're all set?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 07:19:07 pm »

I tried playing a video from Google Video and it didn't work (same results with YouTube.)  It said "Openning" for a while, then gave me an error message saying MC encountered errors, and to make sure the path points to the right location.  It also had "Error Details" saying:

DirectShow: ClassFactory cannot supply requested class
 Code=0x80041111

I guess the next step is to do follow the instructions glynor gave above, correct?  I'd still much rather have MC do this itself.  I really don't want to have to remember this every time I want to install MC on a new machine.  Any guesses as to why MC is not installing the necessary files when attempting to play Google or YouTube videos?

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 07:26:27 pm »

If it still gives you trouble, you should follow glynor's recommendation and install the CCCP pack from http://www.cccp-project.net/. See this http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36347.msg247875#msg247875]thread, fpr example.

I'm tempted to just wait for MC to be able to do this natively just so I can help troubleshoot the issue rather than "forcing" it to work by installing the filters manually.  Do you think there is a value to this approach?

Also, if I DO end up using that CCCP pack, does it effect anything else other than MC?  I'm a bit concerned after browsing through the other thread a bit -- people have reported some issues.  I CAN play my mp4 files at the moment with other apps -- I just can't play them in MC -- so I don't want to break what already works.

Thanks again for the help here,

Larry

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 07:43:23 pm »

I tried playing a video from Google Video and it didn't work (same results with YouTube.) 

Did you choose to download flv file to your hard drive or "Play the file inside player"? The play part still has problems. Choose "Download the file and add it to my library", then play it from your library.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 07:43:59 pm »

I tried playing a video from Google Video and it didn't work (same results with YouTube.)  It said "Openning" for a while, then gave me an error message saying MC encountered errors, and to make sure the path points to the right location.  It also had "Error Details" saying:
Try downloading.  At this time, playback isn't working correctly.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 07:48:53 pm »

-- so I don't want to break what already works.

Playing flv from local library should make it install FFDShow for you. That is safe. If if fails I will give you a link to download FFDShow alone.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 07:50:58 pm »

I am sorry. I forgot to tell you that for mp4 you need to install another piece besides FFDShow. MP4Splitter. After downloading it, save it anywhere, e.g. C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\), and register it by typing at a Command Prompt:
C:\Windows\System32\regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\MP4Splitter.ax" (the quotes are needed)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 08:11:06 pm »

Did you choose to download flv file to your hard drive or "Play the file inside player"? The play part still has problems. Choose "Download the file and add it to my library", then play it from your library.

I had been choosing the "Play inside player option."  I just tried the "download" option with YouTube, and it locked up MC.  I tried it a couple times with the same results.  I then tried Google Video instead, and it said "downloading necessary components."  It proceded to play after this, but after the first time, it would no longer play smoothly -- i.e. it would stutter a lot.

I then tried YouTube again, and NOW it would download and play the file that I had been trying to play before.  At the end of the short segment, however, it gave me an error.  It also did the same thing as the Google video did -- i.e. it played okay the first time through, but the next time I tried to play it it stuttered badly.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 08:14:54 pm »

I am sorry. I forgot to tell you that for mp4 you need to install another piece besides FFDShow. MP4Splitter. After downloading it, save it anywhere, e.g. C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\), and register it by typing at a Command Prompt:
C:\Windows\System32\regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\MP4Splitter.ax" (the quotes are needed)

Does this effect anything other than MC?  Just out of curiosity, why doesn't the MC installation take care of this?

Thanks again,

Larry

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 08:21:41 pm »

Does this effect anything other than MC?  Just out of curiosity, why doesn't the MC installation take care of this?

Thanks again,

Larry

It does not cause any harm. Any player that uses DirectShow to play mp4 media can use it, including MC.

We do not install it at MC installation because this is third-party software. Even though it is completely free, there still could be licensing issues if we install it.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 08:53:46 pm »

We do not install it at MC installation because this is third-party software. Even though it is completely free, there still could be licensing issues if we install it.

Forgive my confusion, but if it's "needed" for mp4 playback in MC, how are people supposed to know to download it?  I thought that in these circumstances, MC could "ask" about installing third party software, and this took care of the licensing issues.  Isn't this how the MC handles other files it needs to download?

Thanks for clarification,

Larry

PS.  Any thoughts on the flv playback issues?  These files play fine if I play them in the "web page" inside of MC, but if I download them, they stutter badly on the second play.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 08:05:15 am »

Forgive my confusion, but if it's "needed" for mp4 playback in MC, how are people supposed to know to download it?  I thought that in these circumstances, MC could "ask" about installing third party software, and this took care of the licensing issues.  Isn't this how the MC handles other files it needs to download?
That is a difficult issue. We do ask if we find Quicktime is needed. For DirectShow filters, it is too difficult to identify one filter that is perfect for all people. For some people Quicktime is all they need. For others DirectShow is preferred. You get a lot of added benefit when using DirectShow, if you can find a good set of filters.

That is one reason people come to this board for advises.

PS.  Any thoughts on the flv playback issues?  These files play fine if I play them in the "web page" inside of MC, but if I download them, they stutter badly on the second play.

I am beginning to think this may be a video card issue.

Tools -> Options -> Playback -> DirectShow Playback Settings ...

Uncheck  "Use Video Mixing Renderer" at the lower left corner.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 10:05:13 am »

Is there a way to tell what filters are playing what files? I think I've set everything up correctly in the directshow options within MC's options.

When I play m4a and m4p files I get stuttering whenever I do anything else on the computer, including changing pane selections, views, etc. within MC.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but couldnt you increase the amount of sound that gets buffered, so that cpu activity doesnt affect playback?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 10:49:52 am »

Is there a way to tell what filters are playing what files? I think I've set everything up correctly in the directshow options within MC's options.

When I play m4a and m4p files I get stuttering whenever I do anything else on the computer, including changing pane selections, views, etc. within MC.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but couldnt you increase the amount of sound that gets buffered, so that cpu activity doesnt affect playback?
For audio, the only way to tell about filters in use is the log file. For video you can see it on context menu.

m4p files are strictly Quicktime. No filters.
m4a can be played in DirectShow if needed filters are present, otherwise played in Quicktime. An easy way of telling which engine is playing is the graphic analyzer in the Current File info window. If the analyzer is present, it is DirectShow.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 11:27:17 pm »

I go to directshow options and set m4a files to playback using the ffdshow audio decoder, but i never get the graphic equaliser. Infact, if i right click on the display it gives me a  optional quicktime way to view the cover art, so i guess that mc is still using quicktime to play the files. Little confused.

Also, when trying to change the directshow filters while an m4a files was playing, mc crashed with a runtime error.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2006, 08:30:16 am »

I go to directshow options and set m4a files to playback using the ffdshow audio decoder, but i never get the graphic equaliser. Infact, if i right click on the display it gives me a  optional quicktime way to view the cover art, so i guess that mc is still using quicktime to play the files. Little confused.

Besides decoder, you also need a "Splitter" that will recognize mp4 (m4a, m4v). See my earlier post in this thread.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2006, 03:40:37 am »

Besides decoder, you also need a "Splitter" that will recognize mp4 (m4a, m4v). See my earlier post in this thread.

Do you need to use the "Splitter" regardless of how you have the mp4 filter setting in the DirectShow options, or just if you check the mp4 box?

Thanks,

Larry

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2006, 07:05:10 am »

Do you need to use the "Splitter" regardless of how you have the mp4 filter setting in the DirectShow options, or just if you check the mp4 box?

Thanks,

Larry
MP4 splitter (or something that can perform the same functions, such as Haali Media Splitter, or one from 3ivx) is needed for playing any mp4 base media in DirectShow, including mp4, m4a.

If you uncheck these in the Options, or if you do not have needed filters, you will play these in Quicktime. You do not need the splitter or decoder filters if you play them in Quicktime.

Playing in DirectShow gives you a lot of added features that playing in QT would not give you, for example, spectrum analyzer, visualization, graphical equalizer for audio files, zooming, aspect ratio control, screen grab for video.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2006, 11:45:43 am »

Ok, I think I've got it all set up right. I installed the "Combined community codec pack" after first uninstalling the previous ffdshow. I installed that, and in MC, set the directshow filters to make ffdshow play m4a files. I didnt have any luck at all (it was still using quicktime to play the files, even after stopping and starting playback again), until i closed and then reopened MC. Then it worked great, and i got my lovely little jumpy graphic analyzer dancing away for me.

I also downloaded that m4p splitter file linked above, and have tried combinations of selecting that, ffdshow, and haali media splitter to get MC playing the files without using quicktime. But no joy so far. No little bars of joy dancing in front of my eyes up in the info section.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2006, 12:42:35 pm »

I also downloaded that m4p splitter file linked above, and have tried combinations of selecting that, ffdshow, and haali media splitter to get MC playing the files without using quicktime. But no joy so far. No little bars of joy dancing in front of my eyes up in the info section.

Just to make sure there is no confusion, it is MP4 splitter, not m4p.

m4p is a kind of mp4 with DRM protected audio in it. They can only be played in Quicktime.

Unprotected mp4 (including m4a) can be played using mp4 splitter and FFDShow decoders. Haali splitter is used in place of mp4 splitter, not in combination with it.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2006, 10:09:15 am »

Thanks. I wasnt aware of the distinction. Confusing isnt it.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2006, 10:15:56 am »

Confusing isnt it.

Yes, very confusing. mp4, m4a, m4v, m4p, m4b, ...

In this thread Alex B provided a link that explains this stuff. The thread has some discussions on playing m4a (and mp4 in general) in MC using DirectShow filters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up