INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: You've been Zuned...  (Read 2748 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
You've been Zuned...
« on: November 14, 2006, 06:40:39 am »

That's a Michael Robertson (mp3.com, etc.) quote, but today is the day they are officially released.

Engadget has a pretty ugly installation story here:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/13/installing-the-zune-sucked/

If you're buying one (we are), then maybe you'll find something useful in the article.

Good luck!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: You've been Zuned...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 11:54:44 am »

It looks like it's completely closed, so you'll be stuck using the Zune store software. (even WMP doesn't see the device)

We're exploring workarounds now, but Microsoft went out of their way to make a closed, proprietary system.  It's too bad.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 05:01:41 pm »

In the words of Spongebob Squarepants... "Yeah, good luck with that".

splash

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 07:03:32 pm »

HELPPPP!!!!

My iPod crashed twice  :o and had to be replaced twice, in under a year... so I sold the 2nd replacement and bought a Zune yesterday. I spent hours and hours building playlists in Media Center, which I love and I NEVER EVER want to use any other handheld software. NOW I find out MC does not support the Zune. Of course I should have checked this before buying the Zune, but I figured MC was so great that surely they support the Zune. Are there any plans to get MC to work with Zunes? If so, I'll hold onto my Zune and wait for the MC software update. If not, I am returning the Zune and buying some other handheld with which I can use MC. The Zune itself is really nice and intuitive, but I hate the Zune software already after just 5 minutes trying to figure it out! And there is NO WAY I am spending all that time again building my playlists.

Any advice or knowledge you can import?  ?  Any handhelds you recommend? Besides the iPod of course...  I need at least a 30G.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 08:03:24 pm »

Zune seems to be a closed system and MC doesn't support it.  Maybe some day.

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 09:20:10 am »

splash, keep in mind the incompatibility is not MC's fault.  It's just another example of the stupidity of these big companies who persist in believing that their own proprietary software will carry the day.  Anyone recall DivX discs?  BluRay vs. HD-DVD?  This is Microsoft thinking that it can beat the ipod.  Sheesh.

For what it's worth, I've been using MC for a long time, and one of the best things about the program is its ability to work and talk with the majority of new things that come out.  There's always some item that presents problems, but over the long run you're better off in terms of having the most choices of codecs, handhelds, external players, AV receivers, etc.

Unfortunately, I can't help you about recommending a player.  I'm one of the lemmings who use an ipod, and fortunately haven't had it crash on me.  MC works really well with the ipods.
johnh

splash

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 07:23:50 am »

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm returning the Zune!! Now I just gotta figure out what to buy instead. <sigh>

Scarpad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 09:06:45 am »

I'd recommend a Zen M or maybe one of the Iaudio Players
Pages: [1]   Go Up