INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod sync very slow in MC12.0.125 vs. MC11?  (Read 4988 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
iPod sync very slow in MC12.0.125 vs. MC11?
« on: December 06, 2006, 09:05:47 pm »

Last night I loaded a backup of my MC11 library into MC12. Then I tried to sync a playlist with my iPod, which already had all but 200 or so new songs on it. Instead, MC 12.0.125 launched into uploading all 6,044 music files AGAIN.

OK, apparently MC12 doesn't notice that most of the song files are already on the iPod. Is this because MC12 didn't load them? Or is it because I had to force MC12 to re-recognize the iPod, which it didn't on first-connect; it saw it as a disk drive, but not as a music library. (The iPod was already recognized and regularly used with MC11.)

The uploading started and it said 20 hours remaining. Quite a bit longer than MC11 took, but this is beta so perhaps not optimized. The uploading progress bar moves very slowly, unlike with MC11.

But, it's now 24 hours later and it is still uploading -- and says there are 10.3 hours remaining.

The computer has the same config with MC11 and MC12, and there aren't any other intensive processes running.

Is this just the state of the beta, or does it indicate a problem with MC12?

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 09:13:42 pm »

Last night I loaded a backup of my MC11 library into MC12. Then I tried to sync a playlist with my iPod, which already had all but 200 or so new songs on it. Instead, MC 12.0.125 launched into uploading all 6,044 music files AGAIN.

OK, apparently MC12 doesn't notice that most of the song files are already on the iPod. Is this because MC12 didn't load them? Or is it because I had to force MC12 to re-recognize the iPod, which it didn't on first-connect; it saw it as a disk drive, but not as a music library. (The iPod was already recognized and regularly used with MC11.)

The uploading started and it said 20 hours remaining. Quite a bit longer than MC11 took, but this is beta so perhaps not optimized. The uploading progress bar moves very slowly, unlike with MC11.

But, it's now 24 hours later and it is still uploading -- and says there are 10.3 hours remaining.

The computer has the same config with MC11 and MC12, and there aren't any other intensive processes running.

Is this just the state of the beta, or does it indicate a problem with MC12?

I'm pretty sure that when switching from MC11 to MC12, you have to reinitialize the iPod and do a full sync.  Otherwise, odd things can happen, which may explain the result you're seeing.  Using a firewire or USB2 connection, syncs shouldn't take anywhere near that long.  The only other thing I can think of off hand that may be causing such long sync would be if you're using USB1.

Larry

MusicHawk

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 11:09:31 am »

I found part of the problem. Firefox was invisibly running something that, when closed, let MC12 speed up quite a bit. I think Firefox had earlier encountered a page with a script that tied up a bunch of memory, even though the page was no longer open, so MC was forced into memory paging.

Lesson: a browser that seems to be doing nothing might be doing a lot, invisibly.

MC12 now reports it is uploading to the iPod Video 80MB at 5 to 6 mb/sec. It says 89% remaining of 6,044 files, and it predicts the final 11% will require 4.5 hours. I wonder if the time prediction calc is thrown off because it is averaging across all files and the first 80%+ were uploaded very slowly.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: iPod sync very slow in MC12.0.125 vs. MC11?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 01:30:37 pm »

Were you running a firefox plug-in for controlling MC?

MusicHawk

Re: iPod sync very slow in MC12.0.125 vs. MC11?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 09:49:24 pm »

>> Were you running a firefox plug-in for controlling MC?

Nope. Not aware of this plug-in, but haven't found a reason to connect Firefox and MC. I think Firefox is vulnerable to getting stuck or very busy on pages that execute scripts (might be JavaScript, not sure) that either can't fully execute, or trigger a huge workload.

(Sorry to be slow to notice the follow-up question.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up