INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: podcast playlists do not play continuously on ipod (and solution)  (Read 4095 times)

kwpeters

I recently upgraded to a new iPod (80 GB) and noticed that the Media Center smartlists that I have been using to manage my podcasts no longer play in the same manner on my iPod.  For example, I have a smartlist that contains all unplayed podcasts.  When I navigate to this playlist on my iPod and click the play/pause button I would expect the unplayed podcasts to start playing one after the other.  Instead, nothing happens.  If I press the select button to view the contents of the playlist, the iPod correctly lists the contents of the playlist.  From this point, I can click on individual podcast episodes and play them one at a time.  They still do not play one after the other continuously until all have been played, however.

I found an exact description of my problem (and suggested workarounds) on the following web page:

http://www.marialanger.com/2006/09/26/podcast-playlists-no-longer-play-continuously/

The poster (to my amazement) has linked this problem to the shuffle setting (which I have turned on).  Even though this page's description is talking about iTunes, I have experienced the exact same behavior using Media Center.

I can get the desired behavior by turning off the shuffle setting, but I would really rather not.  The shuffle setting is very useful when listening to other playlists.

I just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention to see if there is a solution or better workaround.  Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.  Regards.

micahmj11

• Junior Woodchuck
  • This is war peacock. Casualties are inevitable.
Re: podcast playlists do not play continuously on ipod
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 10:07:34 am »

Thanks for this post.  Recently I have noticed that my iPod has been behaving the same way with my videos.  For instance, I hooked my ipod up to a TV and selected a playlist of music videos.  In the past, it would cycle thru all of the videos in the playlist and since the shuffle was on, it would play them randomly.  It was like having my own personal MTV, except it was actually playing videos.

Anyway, the past few times I have tried to do that, it would play a single video and then stop.  If I wanted to play another video, I had to get up, go over to the ipod attached to the tv, and select another video and hit play.  Even if I just tried to skip to the next video, it would play the same video over again.  Very unfortunate.

Once I read this, i tried the setup again with the shuffle setting turned off, and sure enough, it worked the way I wanted (albeit without randomization).  I guess the problem must have started after I upgraded the firmware on the video ipod.

Anyway, thanks for posting this, and if anyone hears about another workaround or solution, let us know.

Micah
Pages: [1]   Go Up