INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fading bug (and file buffer again)  (Read 1114 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Fading bug (and file buffer again)
« on: January 10, 2007, 01:40:15 pm »

Increasing the playback buffering (Player -> Playback Options -> Playback Options…) prevents fade out on stop working as expected.

I always was wondering what made MC cut the song shortly before fade out ends perfectly (with standard 0,5 seconds buffer). But it was so near to perfect that I never mentioned it. But when I increase the buffer size up to 4 seconds (it’s the only solution for this for me up to now), MC stops playback even before fade out starts.

The only thing to solve this is to enable system volume.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Fading bug
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 02:02:01 pm »

We don't recommend increasing that buffering value any more than necessary.  That buffer is only the temporary soundcard buffer (DSP and internal volume latency).  It is not the same as MC's primary buffer, which adapts automatically based on the stream speed.

0.1 to 0.5 seconds should be about right for a modern computer.  If you use much larger values, some effects (like fade on stop with internal volume) may not work as well.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: Fading bug
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 02:45:28 pm »

We don't recommend increasing that buffering value any more than necessary. [...]

I know. You told me quiet a few times ;)

[...] 0.1 to 0.5 seconds should be about right for a modern computer. [...]

Ah, again you call the "modern computer". So, is my computer a modern one? (1,8 Pentium IV, 768 MB SDRAM, NVIDIA Geforce 3 Ti 200, Onboard CMI3738 Sound)

If you use much larger values, some effects (like fade on stop with internal volume) may not work as well.

Hm, and it is no bug...?

[...] It [that buffering] is not the same as MC's primary buffer, which adapts automatically based on the stream speed. [...]

I know! I read about here at Interact a time ago. And I just did a quick test. I reduced buffering (via playback options) to minimum. MC was badly skipping a start up. I increased the primary buffer (via Registry): no change. BAD skipping when playback starts right after starting MC (or other Programs using much CPU).
So I set primary buffer back to standard value (via registry) and increased buffering (via Playback Options): I could do what ever I want to. Nothing made MC skip. But I’m not able to stop with fade out etc.

So, Matt excuse me, but even if the small 0.1 to 0.5 sec. Buffer is enough for a so called “modern computer” there ARE reasons to increase the buffer length (via Playback Options) as I mentioned here there.

BTW: Is the buffer controlled by MC (and via registry) called “primary” as you said right here, or is it the “secondary” as it is called in registry. Just a mistake or are we talking about different things? Just confused  ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up