INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File Skipping since 12.0.130  (Read 1454 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
File Skipping since 12.0.130
« on: January 08, 2007, 12:18:43 pm »

edit:
I'm not sure, if "skipping" is the right word for it, sorry. It is not that one file cannot be played, its that there are some shorter (or longer) mistakes in playback, as if the PC crashed and audio hangs.

I've got MUCH more file skipping since upgrading to 12.0.130 (and 12.0.139). I'm not quiet sure if it is because of MC or because of K-Lite Codec Pack. Does anyone else use this codec package? I think I shouldn't be the reason, because everything else works still fine.

Songs are skipping when I start playback right after starting MC, when I start any other Programm or if something needs a little more power. I tried to start MC with higher priority but no change. Any Ideas?

Media Center Registered 12.0.139

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1799 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 322 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive Y: SONY    CD-RW CRX1611     Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Z: IDE     DVD-ROM 16X       Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive Y: SONY     CD-RW CRX1611      Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices: Wechseldatenträger (I:)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: File Skipping since 12.0.130
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 01:05:15 pm »

If you think the codec-pack could be a problem, please uninstall it and reboot (to test).

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 01:17:04 pm »

I'll try and let you know! Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 08:56:52 am »

You might also take a look at what glynor has to say about k-lite:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38214.msg259846#msg259846

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 09:28:39 am »

Thanks for the hint. But before trying another codec I'll first take a look if it's possible to life without one.

I did it as you said. I completely uninstalled K-Lite and did a reboot. As a little "plus", I re-installed MC and uninstalled all third Party PlugIns. First of all: all my content is still playing. Skipping still there. Not as much as before, but still much to much. Now MC stops playback for a short time, goes on, stops, goes on. It happens when I start playback right after starting MC and during starting InterVideo WinDVR. Connecting a SmartPhone makes MC skipping a few times (round about three breaks of around a second or shorter).

I have to observe it again from now. If these are the only happenings to make MC skip, I'll not say a thing anymore. Then obviously the codec pack was the evil thing.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 09:38:11 am »

There is a report of an anti-virus problem causing something similar in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

Take a careful look at what other software you're running.

Are your files local?  Or on a network drive? 

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 11:55:31 am »

I took a quick look about newly installed software, running tasks / services. Disabled some (incl. all BitDefender services), but it didn’t take a big effect, but it get a little better. So I started MC several times and watched CPU usage (via Task Manager / Sysinternals Process Explorer). I think it’s all because of a very high CPU usage at the start of MC. It goes up to nearly 100% and at one point explorer usage is very high to and steels MC the necessary resources. Starting MC with “above normal” priority solves it nearly completely.

The high CPU usage starts round about 8 sec after starting MC and takes ~25 sec, with perhaps 5 seconds wherein the explorer steals to much for proper playback.

Some questions left for me: is the high CPU usage normal? Is it possible, that my machine is to slow for MC?
(1,8 Pentium IV, 768 MB SDRAM, NVIDIA Geforce 3 Ti 200, Onboard CMI3738 Sound)

I hope, I’m allowed to refer the thing nobody can listen to anymore: no matter if here is something wrong with MC, my PC or anything with my installation. A nice way to solve this problem would be increasing the buffersize. But I cannot wait ~4 sec. after selecting a new song for playback jump in during DJing.

I never get your point, when you were telling me / us, that there is no need for this. You would make me happy (probably some more for the same reason) and some others because of sound improvements (I never heard ;) ). And you never told me (us) why it is as it is. Saying "there is no need to" cannot be a reason. There is also no need to have this littel thumbnails in the library view. But many users like them (after disliking them at the start I learned to like them to ;) ). So they got it. And it's just for our eyes! But the fileplayback is the most essential thing for at least most users.

I only can repeat my statement:
[...]
In my eyes a high buffer size gives much more safety. With winamp2 (sorry for always referring to this program) I could do whatever I wanted to, because the high buffer even didn’t stop playback within a bluescreen (just to the end of the buffered part). And I had the time to switch to my "Stand-Alone-CD-Playback-System", reboot and nobody noticed :) It doesn’t matter at a family meeting, but for DJing it can be essential! But it’s no use if smooth-skipping / seeking needs this more time.
[...]

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 06:07:41 am »

Is here anybody else who has this high CPU usage, or is it just me?
Someone else seeing some (rare) skipping when doing other jobs with the PC (surfing, filemanagment) while listening to music with MC, or is my machine just to slow?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 08:17:25 am »

Just out of curiosity...

Do you have Shell Extensions enabled in MC (Options --> General --> Enable Shell Integration)?  Try disabling it, as there have been some issues with the shell extensions in some of the newest builds.  I have no specific reason why this could be related, but I'm suspicious.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 01:15:01 pm »

Hm, just tried this out. No change. Everything quite the same. Thanks for given that hint anyway.
Because of your reaction I expect, you do not have this problems? So my search goes on…

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 02:51:58 pm »

Nope.  No skipping here!   ::)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up