INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Nor'Easter '07  (Read 3441 times)

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
OT: Nor'Easter '07
« on: February 14, 2007, 04:04:51 pm »

Here's some pics, 19" so far:

from the front door:

my car (the little dark spot is the rear view mirror!):

A few more:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1825918

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: OT: Nor'Easter '07
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 04:10:15 pm »

Great pictures!  Thanks!

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 04:11:49 pm »

Woah that's awesome!
Last week we had 4 flakes of snow land in South Wales.
It was my sisters 18th Birthday so I headed home for the weekend.
A journey that normally takes me an hour and a half took me 6 hours,
as the main motorway to the UK became Cardiff and Newports new carpark.

I almost missed the party altogether.  If we'd had snow like that
I might have understood!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 04:31:05 pm »

So, what is that white stuff?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 04:47:08 pm »

Icing Sugar

The problem is that if they get a heatwave the day after , i can melt in kind of butterscotch   .
From white to brown in no time...
Good thing is than tires do not slide anymore , but very much stick to the road.....

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 07:09:15 pm »

I got a couple of shots too... Only mine are out my back door, because I can't get out my front one.  The snow is still coming now (mixed with sleet since we're on the coast), they're saying about 2 inches an hour right now.  Tomorrow should be a winter wonderland!

And this one shows the snow up to my door, and covering up the snow shovel we left standing.  By the way, we already shoveled that step off once tonight (about 3 1/2 hours ago)...

Here's the whole set at flickr if you're interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/edandjenn/sets/72157594536473293/

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 09:28:52 pm »

Reminds me of why I moved to Los Angeles. ;D

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 10:05:42 pm »

School was canceled for us yesterday (Eastern Iowa).  That was a thrill for the little ones (and the big ones).

I woke up at 4 AM (randomly) and didn't see much snow at all...so I assumed we'd have normal classes.  Then at 7 or 8, a friend texted me asking if we have classes.  Stupidly, I assumed we would because I was half asleep and figured my previous assumption was correct.  Luckily I checked and viola!  Free day!

The joys students have of free days off.

I really like that first photo, glynor!

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 09:44:59 am »

Impressive! We have between one and two feet here now, which is rather puny. And until a few weeks ago we hadn'd had more than two inches all winter! Which is totally crazy, and unheard of in my 40 years. There sure is somethign happening to the climate, even though my colleges in the US (other people driving big, American SUV's) are in total denial. Luckily I have a very good conscience, I have trained my Suburban to run on LPG (propane) which doesn't hurt the environment at all! Not to mention that it's around half the price of what gas costs in Norway... :D
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 11:03:49 am »

Well... It turned to sleet/freezing rain for a long while late last night, and then even eventually rain for about an hour.  Fricking ocean...  >:(

So, I awoke with about a foot (30 cm-ish) of the heaviest slush you've ever seen covering my driveway and porch, and with about a 1/2 inch (about 1.25 cm) of ice on top.  Some of the snow in the yard is still fluffy (after you crunch through the icy crust) but the rain completely permeated most of the snow in the driveway.  It's supposed to go down to about 7F tonight (-14C) too so I get to look forward to all that stuff we didn't clear (and there's a lot of it) turning into hunks of solid ice.  Yay.

I'm exhausted from shoveling...  :(

I'm leaving tomorrow for Burlington, VT for their Mardi Gras celebration this weekend though, and they got about 30 inches (3/4 meter) of nice fluffy powder, with no ice at all.  I'm looking forward to it...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 11:50:05 am »

There sure is somethign happening to the climate

It's bush's fault
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 02:13:22 pm »

Yeah, why do the stupid constitution demand that a president is american born? We need "The Presinator"! I remember I saw Stallone's "Demolition Man" 13 years ago, and one of the jokes there was this:

Stallone: "Hold it! The Schwarzenegger Library?"
Bullock: "Yes, the Schwarzenegger Presidential Library. Wasn't he an actor?"
Stallone: "Stop! He was President?"
Bullock: "Yes. Even though he was not born in this country, his popularity at the time caused the 61st Amendment…"

That would be something... "Schtop making polluting carz, or elze!" ;) Who would have thought that "Demolition Man" should be so prophetic? You gotta hand it to the guy, he was really only made fun of when he got in, and at least from where I'm sitting it seems like californians has gotten a pretty good governor. Not to mention one that can't be bought. Which his and his wife's money, he probably buys out the lobbyists!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 02:34:23 pm »

Yeah, why do the stupid constitution demand that a president is american born?

It's to prevent the country from being "taken over" by a foreign power, by installing a puppet president that had closer ties to another country than to the US.  The history of Europe, as I'm sure you are well aware, is riddled with examples of why a provision just such as this (when applied to monarchs) would be a good idea (and some examples were certainly in recent memory of the people writing the document).

Keep in mind that our country, especially back when the constitution was written, is a nation of immigrants (you know, because the colonists raped and murdered the million or so native people who were already living here over centuries of genocide).  Allowing a foreign national to be elected President would have opened the country to large blocs of recent immigrants all voting in unison to elect leaders from their old countries...

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 12:30:17 pm »

That may have been true back in the day, but I don't think there's much of a chance now. How many people would it take for such a coup nowadays? (The correct answer is of course only a hadfull if their surname is Bush, or they make electronic voting machines...but I digress!) Then again, if you look at the breakdowns of voting statistics there's already a strong ethnic component, sort of  "we vote for our own people here" mentality. So who knows? I don't, the message you seem to take rather seriously was more buffoonery then serious political analysis from my side. :D As a citizen of a country that only two years ago had it's 100th year as not ruled of another contry (don't mention the war - please!), I probably should feel strongly about that, but in my opinion the United States of Europe would be a good step on the way to the ultimate goal, which of course is The United Federation of Planets! ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 01:48:36 pm »

I knew you weren't really serious... Just felt like responding seriously, since I hear about that fairly regularly.   ;D

And, no, it certainly isn't real likely right now.  Only problem is, I'm fairly convinced that the US is a declining empire and, unless a lot changes for the better, in 20 years or so that rule could again become pretty important.

Of course, that's assuming we don't elect Paris Hilton as president or something between now and then, and it's certainly dependant on getting rid of the Electronic Vote-Simulation Machines they've been deploying with reckless abandon....

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 02:08:32 pm »

Interesting how a few pictures of a picturesque snowy scene can turn into such a serious debate!

Lovely pics modelmaker, made me feel quite homesick. Thanks for sharing.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 02:54:17 pm »

Prod, thank you very much, you ...!!!!! :( I came in to say exactly the same thing, I only got the E-mail warning about Glynor's first messag. You have stolen a snappy comment from me, please reimburse it at a later time! ;)

Glynor, I think you may end up with a female president (and a black VP), but luckily I don't think PH is the one... Then on the other hand, she may not be too bad. Like all good beauty queens (well, I don't see the beauty in that spoiled brat, but some do), she's all for peace, war, politics and stuff...

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 03:17:31 pm »

:) Consider yourself in debit in the snappy comment column, we'll settle up later I'm sure.

modelmaker

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 06:57:10 am »

Well to end this on a lighter note and back on the topic of the OT:

We ended up with 23" of snow and it took us a whole day to dig our way down to the street.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up