INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glynor - script question  (Read 6068 times)

JONCAT

Glynor - script question
« on: March 25, 2007, 09:17:30 pm »

I'm a bit confused at this step.

'This is the name of your library in MC.  This is what the subfolder
      'containing your library inside the above directories will be called.
      strLibraryName = "library"

If my one library/database is stored in C:\Archives (on both PCs) do I use Library for the above? I am confused because I think of the the library name in MC as different (possibly) from the Library folder which is by default containing all the library info. The names of the only libraries I use on either PC is default; do you want me to point the Library Name to the Library folder or use the actual name?

And to verify:

'This is where each machines' local library will live.  This must be
      'the same for all the computers using these scripts and it must exist.
      'Again, be sure to include the trailing "\".
      strLocalLibraryDir = "C:\Archives\Library"

would be correct. Just as MC needs you to point to that Library folder and not the root database location; in this case C:\Archives ?

thanks
DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Glynor - script question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 09:31:51 pm »

I think you've got it right...

My local library is stored at: C:\library_data\standard
My "shared" library is stored at: M:\library_data\standard

So, I have my variables set like this:

Code: [Select]
'USER DEFINED VARIABLES

strSharedLibraryDir = "M:\library_data\"
strLocalLibraryDir = "C:\library_data\"
strLibraryName = "standard"

It makes no difference what MC "calls" the library, only which folder it's in.  I originally designed it that way so that I could eventually modify the scripts further to allow you to use them with multiple libraries, but I never got there.   ::)

Sorry for the confusion...  I'll add this note to the description on the thread on the other board.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 09:53:24 pm »

I think some of the confusion came from the fact that default MC loactions add folders according to the names of new libraries.

So in your standard folder, you then have the Library folder with all the .jmd files? I was confused if I needed to point to that folder.

I don't think I use as many subfolders as you:

C:\MediaCenter12\Library
C:\MediaCenter12\Library
E:\Data\MC Sync\MediaCenter12\Library

So all these MediaCenter12 directories actually contain the Thumbnails, Settings, etc.
Since I keep my local library data on the root drive I think I need to do this:

'USER DEFINED VARIABLES
      'If you need to modify this script to use your own file locations,
      'you can modify the paths here.  You must do this with all of the
      'applicable scripts.

'This is where you want the "shared" library to live.  It must be
      'on a network drive that can be accessed by all the machines that will
      'be synced by the scripts.  Be sure to include the trailing "\" as part
      'of the path you give.
      strSharedLibraryDir = "E:\Data\MC Sync\"

strLocalLibraryDir = "C:\"

strLibraryName = "MediaCenter12"

'This is where you've installed these scripts.
      strMyDirectory = "E:\Data\scripts\MC_Scripts\"

'This is where the zg.exe file is located.  This should be inside the ZipGenius6
      'folder.  If you haven't installed ZipGenius6, it is required for this archive
      'script to work properly.  You can download it for free from here:
      'http://zipgenius.it
      'It's a great, completely free WinZip alternative (much more powerful too)!
      strZGLocation = "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZipGenius 6\"

'END USER DEFINED VARIABLES

DC

JONCAT

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 10:05:45 pm »

Dumb question...what exactly gets copied? Even thumbnails are kept up to date? I assume that an entire copy is not done but only new data? I was trying to setup robocopy /mir which supposedly would do this kind of xcopy but with only with data not on the destination drive.

And is there a way to turn on the verbosity command in the scripts or do we have to manually execute.

I don't think I'm up and running yet, something's not right.

The scripts are running and completing pretty quickly. I can't seem to get the Import to get work for the laptop; the script runs but the tag changes don't show up.

thanks for the great work!
DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 11:46:06 pm »

So in your standard folder, you then have the Library folder with all the .jmd files? I was confused if I needed to point to that folder.

No, my standard folder IS the location where the JMD files live.  For example, this file exists on my system.

C:\library_data\standard\browser.jmd

As does this one:

M:\library_data\standard\browser.jmd

So on and so forth.

It's mostly just the JMD files inside the folder you provide that get copied (and the podcast.xml file).  The \Cache\ folder is excluded.  But really, ANY FILES you put in there will be copied back and forth, as long as they don't match a line in the exclude.txt file.

The JMD and XML files are all very small so, yes, the copy shouldn't take too long with a reasonably fast network.  Mine are around 13.5 MB.

Oh, and...

And is there a way to turn on the verbosity command in the scripts or do we have to manually execute.

Not sure what you mean by this... I make shortcuts to the individual scripts for my start menu which include the appropriate command line options.  I can post better examples (pictures) tomorrow.  However, it might help me help you if you just discribe in a bit more detail exactly where your library is (where exactly is the browser.jmd file located and where is the shared library version of it going to live)?

What machine is going to be the "master" machine, and which is going to be the "slave" (the slave is the one that imports the data from the master regularly unless you run the "publish" script on it)?  Do you have more than two machines?

JONCAT

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 12:12:49 am »

Glynor,

I am using two PCs only.

C:\MediaCenter12\Library\  herein lies the browser.jmd so I made changes (below).
The Master PC has the sync library on E:\

Still don't seem to be getting the import over to the laptop.
I made a shortcut to the scripts folder which is also on E: of the master.

'USER DEFINED VARIABLES
      'applicable scripts.

'of the path you give.
      strSharedLibraryDir = "E:\Data\MC Sync\MediaCenter12\"

strLocalLibraryDir = "C:\MediaCenter12\"

strLibraryName = "Library"

strMyDirectory = "E:\Data\scripts\MC_Scripts\"

'This is where the zg.exe file is located.  This should be inside the ZipGenius6

I forgot I can add the command lines to the custom icons.  - will look into that after.

DC

JONCAT

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 12:26:01 am »

The script runs but I can't get the Export to write to the shared location. The size of Library is staying smaller than my Master library. I removed all spaces but putting the share in a new location on E:. Still no luck.

DC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 07:14:14 am »

PLEASE DO NOT USE A SCRIPT FOR ANYTHING UNTIL YOU GET THE LOCKING PROBLEM SOLVED.

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 09:49:38 am »

I have a two mb difference in the main & shared and the script runs really fast, but nothing is copied over:

FATSQUASH : MC_Library-Publish_local started: Mon 03/26/2007 10:14:26.51
FATSQUASH : MC_Library-Publish_local finished: Mon 03/26/2007 10:14:27.56
FATSQUASH : MC_Library-Import_Shared started: Mon 03/26/2007 10:14:29.09
FATSQUASH : MC_Library-Import_Shared finished: Mon 03/26/2007 10:14:30.15
FATSQUASH : MC_Library-Export_local started: Mon 03/26/2007 10:29:39.00
FATSQUASH : MC_Library-Export_local finished: Mon 03/26/2007 10:29:41.78
FATSQUASH : MC_Library-Export_local started: Mon 03/26/2007 10:31:04.14
FATSQUASH : MC_Library-Export_local finished: Mon 03/26/2007 10:31:05.26

Maybe an x64 issue?

DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 10:37:47 am »

I don't think it's a x64 issue.  As I posted in the other thread, I think you should get your lockup issues resolved first, before you try to sync the libraries of two different machines.  However, just to answer any questions...

I think you might be a bit confused on how this is supposed to work, which could be part of the reason.  To try to illustrate it better, I'm going to just describe my system in detail, which will hopefully make it much clearer (using real-world examples sometimes helps).  I am going to actually simplify my system a slight bit for the sake of clarity (I actually have more than two machines), but everything else is "real life".  So, here goes...

I have two machines, both running Windows XP Pro, MC12 (latest builds generally), and configured similarly.  They are connected to a high-speed, wired gigabit switched LAN.  For the sake of this example, I'll refer to them as: HTPC and Office.  Most of my media lives on a 1.5TB RAID volume, which lives on a computer in my basement.  This drive is mapped to ALL of my machines as drive M (for Media).  I have some assorted other drives, but this is the primary one.

On both the HTPC and the Office machine, there is a folder at: c:\library_data\standard\ which contains all of the library files.  For example, on my HTPC the file browser.jmd is located at c:\library_data\standard\browser.jmd, and on my Office machine it is in the same place.  The "shared" library lives at m:\library_data\standard\.  However, neither copy of MC on either machine directly uses the "shared" library.  They both use their "local" libraries, the ones on the C: drives, independently of one another.

So the m:\library_data\standard\ copy of the library is not listed in the library manager of any of my copies of MC on any of my computers.  It is sort of a "neutral zone" storage location where a duplicate copy of the library is kept, and where all of my machines can see it and copy it over to their own "local" library location when needed.

Both machines also have the same set of user accounts.  All of the users on the systems have read and write access to both the individual c:\library_data\standard\ folders and the m:\library_data\standard\ folder.

I also have a "users" drive which is mapped on both machines as drive U.  The scripts live there at U:\scripts\MC_Scripts\.  Both machines can see and read/write to that folder as well.

HTPC:

I have my HTPC "designated" as the Master computer.  What this essentially means is that the computer is set up with a scheduled task that regularly runs the MC_Library-Export_local.wsf script (twice per day, morning and night).  This script simply copies the contents of the HTPC's c:\library_data\standard\ over to the "shared" location at m:\library_data\standard\.

To speed this operation up, it excludes the unneeded c:\library_data\standard\cache\ and c:\library_data\standard\thumbnails\ directories from this copy operation.  I set this script to run automatically using the Windows XP scheduled task function.

Office:

My Office machine is designated as the "slave" computer.  All this means is that instead of running the "export local" script regularly, like the HTPC, it runs the MC_Library-Import_Shared.wsf script on a regular basis.  That script simply copies the contents of m:\library_data\standard\ (the shared library) over to the Office computer's own c:\library_data\standard\ folder (it's local library).  This means that twice per day, the Office computer throws it's library away completely, and replaces it with whatever files are in the shared location.  Unless I take some extra action, no changes made on the Office computer "stick", because the HTPC's library will replace it next time the scripts run.

However, if I'm sitting at the Office computer and tagging files, I obviously want to be able to "save" these changes to the library and have these changes stick and show up on the HTPC.  To do this, once I'm finished with my tagging, I close MC on the Office computer, and I run the MC_Library-Publish_local.wsf script.  What this does is essentially the same thing as the MC_Library-Export_local.wsf script, it copies the contents of the Office computer's local library (c:\library_data\standard\) and replaces the contents of m:\library_data\standard\.  However, it has one extra function "above" what the standard export script does.  It sets a special flag that tells the MC_Library-Export_local.wsf script "next time you run don't overwrite the M: files, but import them instead".  This is needed because otherwise, the HTPC would never import the changes made in m:\library_data\standard\ and would just overwrite them the next time it was scheduled to run and your changes would never "stick".

So, after I run the publish script, it essentially turns the MC_Library-Export_local.wsf script into the MC_Library-Import_Shared.wsf for the next run only (after which it resumes it's normal operation).

Tagging Process Example:

So, my process for tagging files (from the Office computer) is this:

1. I sit down at the Office computer.  It generally has the most up-to-date copy of the database automatically, but if I've made any changes that day from the HTPC, I make sure to run the MC_Library-Export_local.wsf script on the HTPC, and then I go back to the Office computer and run the MC_Library-Import_Shared.wsf script on the Office computer before I start.  (This is made easier because my HTPC is running a VNC server and I can just VNC into it to run the script without having to walk around.)  That ensures that the Office computer starts off with the most up-to-date copy of the library possible (though as I said, this usually isn't necessary because it happens automatically twice per day).

2. Tag, tag, tag, and tag some more.

3. When I'm all done, I run the MC_Library-Publish_local.wsf script on the Office machine.

4. Now, the "shared" library (the one on M that is never directly used) contains a copy of the library from the Office machine, instead of a copy of the HTPC's library like it usually does.

5. If I don't care if I see the changes on the HTPC immediately, I'm just done.  The next time MC_Library-Export_local.wsf runs, it will automatically import the data from the "shared" library instead of overwriting it.

6. If I want to see the changes immediately on the HTPC, I simply walk over to the HTPC (actually, when I do this I generally use VNC to remote into it but same difference) and run on it either the MC_Library-Export_local.wsf script or the MC_Library-Import_Shared.wsf script.  Once I've used the "Publish" script on the Office machine, it doesn't matter which of those two scripts I run on the HTPC because the special "publish" flag turns them into the same script (for the next run of the script only).  So, that copies the new info in the "shared" library over to the HTPC's local library.

7. From then on, until I run the "Publish" script again, the scripts resume normal operation and the HTPC becomes the "master" computer again.

JONCAT

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 12:27:07 pm »

Wow, great post. It's clear even from your earlier postings how this should work but this clears up any ambiguities.

BTW- I do plan on starting an XP build soon, but I want to see what's going on here because as of yet, the scripts run but I don't think any data is written. If access rights were causing this, would the script still run okay?

I have an HTPC as the master machine, and like you it is where I do most of my viewing, ripping, and heavy tagging.

The laptop is an older Dell that my wife uses, but I have it connected to the Klipsch 2.1 via an Airport/Airfoil setup. Now that we have cable (argh) I get stuck out here and often want to work some unfinished tags.

I have tested both ways: running the export script on the master to a local drive where the shared library is, and also trying to publish tag changes from the slave.

One ambiguity: there is a browser.jmd in both the library folder and the root library folder>>>>

Here's my setup:

C:\mediacenter\browser.jmd (this resides with the small JMDs & podcast.xml)
C:\mediacenter\Library\browser.jmd (and ALL the other JMD files = 32mb)

I know from your post that I should point to the latter, so I have, to mimic your setup:

yours:
strSharedLibraryDir = "M:\library_data\"
      strLocalLibraryDir = "C:\library_data\"
      strLibraryName = "standard"

my setup:

strSharedLibraryDir = "E:\mediacenter\"
      strLocalLibraryDir = "C:\mediacenter\"

I do see the published flag and the log file in the shared archive folder, but I just can't get that shared library to change from 34mb to 36mb, which is the HTPC Library folder (jmd) size. I also havemanually check the libraries on either machine after export & publish, and I am not seeing any of the changes.

All my folders on the HTPC are read-only but I have read this not a problem as the files within will not be. Something's not right if the Admin account on the HTPC (the only account on there) can't copy to a local drive the vbs script.

I have played around with a few variations of the paths to no avail. Can I try to add a \ after Library? I don't have one now but in your .txt file you have default and it is not followed with a \ .

thanks again for your patience
DC
ps sorry bout the nero thing - I should have pulled a readme file from the dir, I couldn't find the version number anywhere in the gui.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 01:02:28 pm »

my setup:

strSharedLibraryDir = "E:\mediacenter\"
      strLocalLibraryDir = "C:\mediacenter\"

All my folders on the HTPC are read-only but I have read this not a problem as the files within will not be. Something's not right if the Admin account on the HTPC (the only account on there) can't copy to a local drive the vbs script.

Do the "read-only" folders include the E:\mediacenter\ directory?  If so, then that won't work.  Both computers need to be able to read and write to/from the shared location (and all it's subdirectories).

Also, where specifically does the "location" field (listed in the File --> Library --> Library Manager) of the active library in each copy of MC point?  (Just to make sure I'm getting it right.)

I'd guess that these files:

C:\mediacenter\browser.jmd (this resides with the small JMDs & podcast.xml)

Are not needed and can be deleted.  The problem could be that you don't have enough subdirectories (and it is something I never even considered).  With my scripts, the library cannot be located only one directory "deep" from the root.  For example, if in MC's library manager you have them set to:

C:\mediacenter\

This won't work.  It really needs to be something like:

C:\mediacenter\library\

(Well, it could work but you'd have to set the strLocalLibraryDir to "C:\" and the strLibraryName to "mediacenter", and I'd recommend against it because the backups and everything would just get strewn into the root of your C: drive.)

to work properly.  Also, both the HTPC and the laptop should have their local libraries in the same place.  Meaning, if on the HTPC, you use C:\mediacenter\library\ then it needs to be at C:\mediacenter\library\ on the laptop too.

JONCAT

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 06:36:36 pm »

The Read-Only applies to the folders but not the files, and as I said the was an MS article on this stating that it was a type of flag that forces a check to see if there exist any modified security parameters. I can delete, create, copy, move all files & folders on my network drives from the laptop.

I think I have enough subdirectories:

C:\folder\folder\broswer.jmd (32mb = bunch of jmd files and the cache folder)

EDIT - I'll add another, but from your initial posts I thought I was mimicing your directory structure.

Isn't that how deep yours is set up?

x64 is whack....time to ditch it.

DC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 06:53:19 pm »

x64 is whack....time to ditch it.
Amen, brother.

JONCAT

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 01:21:24 pm »

Glynor, since my lockup problem is long gone and I am getting ready to add another laptop here I'd like to give this a whirl yet again.

Just tested everything and once again I can not even get the master library to write to the shared library location (on same PC) with the script. The verbosity command is on and the scripts completes, writes the log file, but nothing is copied.

I am going to try it on the XP machine (laptop 1) and see if that can copy over to the network to the shared location.

thanks
DC

JONCAT

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 01:30:21 pm »

Neither machine can run these scripts; I'm sure it's something I'm doing though.

I have added a sub-directory because you mentioned it could be an issue:

<package>
   <job id="vbs">
      <script language="VBScript">

'USER DEFINED VARIABLES
      'applicable scripts.

'of the path you give.
      strSharedLibraryDir = "O:\Data\mediacenter\"

strLocalLibraryDir = "C:\mediacenter\ma\"  both machines use this exact directory but the mapped drives of course use substitute letters e.g. Z:\

strLibraryName = "Library"

strMyDirectory = "C:\Documents and Settings\cea\My Documents\JRiver Media Center Script ICONS\scripts\MC_Scripts\"

I don;t have zipgenius installed and I don't get the error message I was getting earlier. I click the icon which correctly navigates to and executes the script file.....but nothing gets copied.

DC

JONCAT

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 01:58:52 pm »

To clarify my setup:

Master: C:\mediacenter\ma
Slave:  C:\mediacenter\ma
Shared (on master): O:\Data\mediacenter\

\ma contains 3 folders: Library, Settings, & Thumbnails

as does, for the shared database, \mediacenter (I took it that the master and slave need to be exactly the same but maybe I will change this to \ma as well).

I have tried lots of combinations, and since nothing has yet worked, could you please clarify the folder naming your scripts need?

'of the path you give.
      strSharedLibraryDir = "O:\Data\mediacenter\library" or "O:\Data\mediacenter\"

strLocalLibraryDir = "C:\mediacenter\ma\library" or "C:\mediacenter\ma\"

strLibraryName = "ma" or "library"

The strange thing is that the script won't xcopy anything at all on XP SP2. It puts th flag and the log in there that's it. I deleted half of the sared database and set to Publish Local....nothing gets copied. I modded tags and Published Local ...no changes.

dc

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 04:51:37 pm »

I will but I'm having a party tonight so it'll have to be tomorrow!  I'll try my best to remember.

JONCAT

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 11:15:44 am »

Well, I was ready to try setting up the scripts on my new OS, Windows XP Sp2, unfortunately I'm running into similar issues.

I have everything setup but I'm simply trying to run the script to do a local export from the Master to the Shared library. The script runs but nothing is copied over. I have been deleting the Bookmarks.jmd as test.

I get some kind of log file without a file type; last time I remember it was output as a .txt, now it's just a file named J that shows up after the script runs.

I decided to try less subfolders for the Library folder, and when I used Media Center 12 as the root, the file shows up as M.

These files show up outside the folder used in the script below, in the root (J):

'USER DEFINED VARIABLES
      'applicable scripts.

'of the path you give.
      strSharedLibraryDir = "J:\J River\Media Center 12\"

strLocalLibraryDir = "C:\J River\Media Center 12\"

strLibraryName = "Library\"

strMyDirectory = "J:\MC_Scripts\"

strZGLocation = "C:\Program Files\ZipGenius 6\zg.exe"

I am not using the backup archive, if that's a possible issue...
This has got to be a simple mistake I'm making, as I know the setup works for you flawlessly. I'm getting the same behavior with a whole new set of PCs and OSs so it has to be me; the common variable.

I'd really like to employ this method so I can tag when I travel and easily publish the library to the Master instead of manually copying and trying to remember which is th e newest.

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up