INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am running MC 12 on my Mac  (Read 1803 times)

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
I am running MC 12 on my Mac
« on: August 08, 2007, 12:32:56 pm »

It works great except the skins wreak havok with Parallels Conformance mode. It is so nice not being tied to iTunes. It is so nice being able to connect to my Library Server on my Mac. Life is good.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Does secure ripping work properly under Parallels?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 03:59:45 pm »

Could you rip CDs in secure mode on a Mac under Parallels?  Can you rip using a USB external DVD drive?

Since there are some low level h/w issues with ripping, this might not work even if playback works.  It would be good to get this info on record.

Bill

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
Re: I am running MC 12 on my Mac
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 12:26:23 pm »

I haven't tried it. I have only been listening to my library server. I'll have to give a whirl.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 01:20:05 pm »

It works great except the skins wreak havok with Parallels Conformance mode.

Is this similar to the issues I've described with Parallels Coherance mode?  (And I assume you meant Coherance, not Conformance.)

I really got pretty fed up with Parallels, honestly, and abandoned it.  Especially that there's no way to fully uninstall it from the Windows Boot Camp partition if your trial expires.  I've heard that VMWare's system is a bit better in some ways, but I've been too afraid to try it out...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 08:46:28 pm »

If you use library server, don't you feel limited in many ways: no tagging, no video, no ripping?  How do you handle all the limitations?

I recently posted a new thread explaining how library server could be ramped up to provide the ultimate server/client system ... and everyone using the same media files on multiple computers and especially with multiple users would absolutely love the new system.  No responses yet but I'm sure it will take time--I wrote a lot--and it's a huge project with lots of engineering and thinking requirements!

TimB

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 05:34:55 am »

Just a little endorsement here.

I now only use Parallels for MC, both update very nicely and run great.  I just reduced my XP to 256meg of memory and its fine for MC.  That said most of my ripping is long done and I'm not a deep user of MC, I just wanna listen to my stuff, occasionally load to my iPod, keep the stats and have access to MC's awesome database engine.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 05:49:53 am »

I now run Toast V3.1 on my PC. I could have got a toaster for a tenner but thought I'd spend a bit more (circa £1500) so it would hook up with my HTPC. Now I can watch a movie AND toast bread at the same time!

Toast is always burnt though. Hopefully Toast V3.2 will sort this out, for the timebeing I've been using CarbonScraper V0.5b as a workaround.

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 11:14:06 am »

Has anyone running MC via parallels been able to get their library & album art folders off the windows hard drive?  I really want to keep them in the OSX filesystem, but every time I try to map the directories using Paralells Shared Folders, it tells me they're invalid.  Seems weird that the music can be mapped to what is effectively a network drive but the other stuff can't...

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 10:26:34 pm »

USB transfer speeds shot up to ~4MB/s using VMWare... so that seemed to be at least partially Parallels fault.  Still no dice on the networked "support" folders, though :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up