INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vista Bug -- Network Slowdown with Media Playback  (Read 3250 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Vista Bug -- Network Slowdown with Media Playback
« on: August 28, 2007, 01:42:56 pm »

Mark Russinovich, a major Microsoft techie, today acknowledged a bug with Vista's network programming that can noticeably slow down file transfers on a local network if you play music at the same time.

Vista prioritizes media playback to try and make sure that your music and videos play smoothly even when your computer is busy. It's a nice feature I've written about previously, since without it, you can get annoying pauses and playback glitches if you're running many programs at once.

But forum posters and bloggers recently noticed a serious slowdown in how long it takes to copy a file across a network even when the PC wasn't busy when Windows Media Player, iTunes or Real Player was running. In a detailed post today, Russinovich said it's due to a bug that hits if you're on a high-speed (1Gb) local network and using a computer with multiple network interfaces - such as a laptop with wireless and wired connections.

Full Article at PCWorld

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Vista Bug -- Network Slowdown with Media Playback
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 07:37:49 pm »

Windows Media Player, iTunes or Real Player

I think they meant to say:

Windows Media Player, iTunes, JRiver Media Center or Real Player

I seem to be having very good success at the moment with file transfer speeds from my server.  After diagnosing the switches as the problem, everything seems to be working better with the different switches.  I don't really ever use any media on the server and have the sound disabled.  Plus, there is only one network interface in the computer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up