INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WM Encoder Trouble Thumbnails, etc.  (Read 1877 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
WM Encoder Trouble Thumbnails, etc.
« on: November 06, 2007, 01:19:40 am »

I am using Windows Media Encoder and have tried CamStudio.  I need to capture the screen to record an email being typed (using a macro program to type the email).  Both CamStudio and WM Encoder produce files that cause MC to essentially go crazy.  It takes 100% CPU and attempts to build thumbnails.  These files will be used in a public theatrical production and I don't want the thumbnailing process to cause big problems as I'm predicting they will if I don't do something.

I don't care what I have to do but I have tried so much I'm not sure what is left.  If I try to convert the files to DivX, it says it can't recognize them.  VLC doesn't play many of them.  They are just very strange files.  Some are WMV and CamStudio produces Intel video and other types of video.  I have tried every setting that will work.

Please help me find a solution...in a timely fashion.  Any way to force MC to stop creating thumbnails?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: WM Encoder Trouble Thumbnails, etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:00:23 am »

Perhaps try a different screen recording program. I have good experiences of Hypercam.

I created a short demo video of using MC in less than five minutes with Hypercam. You can download the demo from here: http://rapidshare.com/files/67831092/hypercam_demo.avi  (about 52 MB)

I recorded it in 1280x720P HDTV resolution and with a 16-bit/44.1 kHz PCM mono audio track (it doesn't record stereo). I used a framerate of 15 fps because my old P4 couldn't quite handle more at this resolution. If you can adjust the display aspect ratio and size to the native 1:1 resolution it will be of very good quality.

Besides Hypercam you need only the Xvid codec to produce similar results.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 09:38:02 am »

I am having the most trouble.  Any output by CamStudio or Windows Media Encoder messes up MC.  The $40 HyperCam produces perfect video that MC handles fine but I don't want to spend $40.  I've already spent way to much on this project.  I just need to take these two video files I have and convert them to a normal video file that won't cause problems...

Any free solutions?  Although I'm getting desperate now so I may be forced to buy it.

Unless I could have an emergency MC build with JR Worker deleted? (I would be eternally grateful)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 09:53:56 am »

I think you can just remove the JRWorker.exe file from the program directory if disabling thumbnailing is enough to cure your problem. I tried that a few builds ago and it worked.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 10:10:13 am »

AMAZING!! I'll try that

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 12:09:29 pm »

Jrworker does more than build thumbnails.  Not a great idea to remove it.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 12:39:17 pm »

You are correct. This is what Matt said about it in the beta board.

JRWorker is used to do video analysis (import) and thumbnailing.

It also enumerates handheld devices.

We put tasks there that use third-party SDKs where stability is out of our control.

However, if Ben tests the behavior and finds out that removing the file helps in this specific case (and before his deadline) I don't see why he shouldn't do it.

Ben, could you put a sample file online somewhere? It is very difficult to try to help without a beeing able to test the file. I guess the developers would also like to see a wmv file that causes problems.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 01:02:23 pm »

... the developers would also like to see a wmv file that causes problems.
Only if it can be played in Windows Media Player.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 02:57:07 pm »

Ben,

I just tried the open source version of CamStudio from http://camstudio.org/ with Xvid codec and I didn't have any big problems with creating a high quality avi video of screen activity including sound.

The only slight problem was that after recording it wasn't able to mux the audio stream (16 bit/44.1 stereo PCM). The audio stream was saved as a separate wav file. That was easily cured with Virtualdub.

I have Win XP. Maybe CamStudio doesn't work properly on Vista.

Edit

I forgot to mention that the resulting file works fine with MC. Like any other usual Xvid avi file.

benn600

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 12:19:23 am »

That's probably my problem.  I don't have Xvid installed.  So in CamStudio do you select Xvid as the encoder?

I did try deleting JRWorker and other strange things started going wrong.  So I put it back.  And I'm trying several different encoders now to get a whole bunch of files ready.

I'm running an event and need these things asap so I'm trying to encode these files to a whole list of formats so I'm prepared.

I wasn't even able to add video correctly.  I have another thread about them showing up as Documents...probably JRWorker related.  I didn't delete it this time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up