INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow tagging - virus checker problem  (Read 8788 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Slow tagging - virus checker problem
« on: December 19, 2007, 11:47:19 am »

I started (finally) messing around with nested keywords this morning, and have to say, tagging images is excruciatingly slow, somewhere in the region of a second a file-ish. So, when I changed the tags on over 1000 files, MC went all unresponsive on me, 'unresponsive' as in it appeared to have crashed, so I went away and made coffee and stuff, and over ten minutes later, MC came back to life.

-marko.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Slow response [solved by modifying virus checker]
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 12:47:04 pm »

Sounds to me like you've got content and the library on a slow drive.  Possible?
No. I also have the \Users\Me\Roaming\JRiver\ folder in my AV exclusions list.

Also, tagging should always be in a background thread and not block the program.  Can you reproduce the unresponsiveness?
Yes. At 18:35 I right clicked on a keyword group called people and chose 'Rename'. I renamed it to !People and MC told me that changing the tags for 2460 files might take some time, I clicked OK. It's now 18:45 and MC is still not responding. I've asked windows to 'wait for a response from the program'

EDIT: and that's MC come back to me now at 18:50, so that's 15 minutes to tag 2460 jpg files.
I had 3 tabs open, only one was showing images.
The tag window was closed, but I saw the same this morning when I used the tag window to make changes.
I have set MC to store all my image related tags inside the files.
Log file available here

-marko

marko

• MC Beta Team
Slow tagging [solved - virus checker problem]
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:44:05 pm »

Update:
It would seem that NOD32 is, in fact, causing tagging slowdown...
Turning off the "scan on file creation" option brought the speed back.

However, this conflict was not present in builds prior to the 'nested tags' changes.

-marko.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Slow response [solved by modifying virus checker]
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 01:55:58 pm »

Update:
It would seem that NOD32 is, in fact, causing tagging slowdown...
Turning off the "scan on file creation" option brought the speed back.

However, this conflict was not present in builds prior to the 'nested tags' changes.

-marko.

Is this to say that tagging doesn't freeze Media Center at all during image tagging now?  It should be a background process and tick away in the statusbar while you work on other things.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Slow tagging [solved - virus checker problem]
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 02:00:25 pm »

I'm not sure that this is actually 'solved'.

I may actually want my AV software checking files on creation, and like I said, this is just a recent development caused, or highlighted by the nested tag changes.

Is this to say that tagging doesn't freeze Media Center at all during image tagging now?  It should be a background process and tick away in the statusbar while you work on other things.
Yes. By disabling 'check on creation' things return to normal with MC.
NOD32 v3.0.566.0

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Slow tagging - virus checker problem
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 02:08:41 pm »

It is a virus checker problem, nonetheless.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 02:30:13 pm »

It's a problem, I'll give you that...

So, if I were to take this problem to ESET, what technical information can I provide them with?
Bearing in mind that it's only recent changes in MC that have brought this problem to light.
Previously, image tagging had never caused a problem.

-marko.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 02:39:44 pm »

I don't believe anything has changed with regards to image tagging for quite a while.  It's possible you weren't editing thousands of files previously like you're trying now.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 03:16:29 pm »

maybe not thousands, but hundreds is never uncommon, and the slowdown and windows message that MC was "not responding" still occurs with just 250 jpg files.
Until recently, this has not been a problem.

I'm not trying to be purposely difficult, I'm just reporting what I'm experiencing on this system.
NOD32 v3 has been installed since its release and just sits there in the system tray doing its thing.
Up until now there have been no problems.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 03:23:34 pm »

Does it occur for only Image files?  This seems unlikely to me.  Or instead does it perhaps happen with any file where you've used nested tags?  I know you're using the new nested tags support primarily for your pictures, but if you add a few to some music files for testing, does it still happen there?

How about images that have NO nested tags at all?

I'm thinking that maybe something in the nesting logic (perhaps the "/" <--> "\" logic?) is causing it to slow down when another process is inspecting the files.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 07:21:10 pm »

.. windows message that MC was "not responding" still occurs with just 250 jpg files.
Microsoft reports what they want.  It isn't always quite accurate.  In this case, it just means that the system doesn't know what's going on.

A similar condition occurs every time you insert a CD or DVD. 

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 01:07:35 am »

Microsoft reports what they want.  It isn't always quite accurate.  In this case, it just means that the system doesn't know what's going on.
I understand that, which is why I told windows to wait... MC had, unquestionably, stopped responding though.

Now, if the problem is "on file creation", and I've got my entire image directory, the entire \appdata\j.river\ directory, and the default \jrtemp\ directory (as specified in MCs options for the temp folder) all on the AV exclusion list, why am I still seeing a problem?

where are files being created?

Glynor, I'm off to walk the dog. I'll maybe have time for more testing later...

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 07:07:40 am »

Now, if the problem is "on file creation", and I've got my entire image directory, the entire \appdata\j.river\ directory, and the default \jrtemp\ directory (as specified in MCs options for the temp folder) all on the AV exclusion list, why am I still seeing a problem?
With or without the virus checker in place?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 01:02:48 pm »

With.
My understanding is that if the real time scanner is checking files "on creation", it's causing MC problems. If I disable the AV "on creation" setting, MC tags as normal.

So, following the logic through, rather than globally disable the AV "on creation" setting, it would make more sense to add the location that MC is creating files in to the AV exclusion list.

With the three exclusions mentioned already in place, I'm still seeing problems here, suggesting that MC is creating files somewhere else? Any idea where else?

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 01:13:55 pm »

The library files and probably the registry.  "On creation" may be misleading since it seems to be checking files that are modified.

You might try google.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 01:18:33 pm »

marko,

Doesn't NOD32 have any logging features?

I have used Avira AntiVir since I dumped McAfee a couple of years ago. It has a real-time display that shows the last scanned file:

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 08:38:01 am »

I exclude all my media folders from scanning.
I looked at NOD32, but went with KAV because KAV allows you to exclude a folder and all its subdirectories.
As far as I could determine, NOD and a few others (Trend for one) want each folder entered separately.
Pages: [1]   Go Up