INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP effects - Equalizer settings won't apply, revert to default [solved]  (Read 8917 times)

Elnrik

• Recent member

Hello,

I have a problem where I set a custom DSP equalizer setting, preamp and frequency settings, and it keeps those settings for one song only.   It then goes to a flat equalizer setting for all further songs.

Also, when I select different Equalizer presets, I have to go into the dropdown window and select the setting twice for it to apply.

Why won't my changes save?

Happy Holidays

Elnrik

• Recent member

Anyone?   Any ideas?

Running:  Vista Ultimate, 3.3ghz C2D, Asus 3pE mobo onboard audio.

Updated all drivers.
Updated to latest version of MC.

Perhaps there is another plugin which can handle the Equalizer?

Any suggestions / help is very welcome.

ElQuia

• World Citizen

I got exactly the same problem. MC 12.0.410 on vista x64. Equalizer goes flat each time a song changes. May that be in Playing now or browsing dirs and playing songs one by one.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut

If you don't get an answer, the appropriate thing to do is to post the word "bump" to remind us.

Sometimes we don't know the answer. Sometimes the problem is caused by a peculiarity with your system, not by our software.

Do you have permission to write to the registry?

j

Elnrik

• Recent member

I do.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

I'm not seeing this issue.  I use the EQ and it applies on the first try, then sticks.  I added a custom EQ setting that I normally use, but I can select any of the other settings, and they all work and stick even after closing and restarting MC.

Note that I tried this with a system running 406, but I'll update and see if I get the same behavior.

Larry

Elnrik

• Recent member

Please let me know if you need further details on my system / OS.   This problem occurs in Vista Ultimate.  The problem persists even if Run as Administrator, or if UAC is on/off.  (User Account Control).

I've reinstalled twice.

I've just confirmed again, all latest drivers are present for the sound card and motherboard.   (See: http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1873&modelmenu=1)

The only additional plugin running on MC is FLAC, downloaded and installed from your site.

Not sure what else I can add which could help.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut

Post your system info (under the help menu).

Do you have any virus checkers running?

j

Elnrik

• Recent member

I'm not sure which system information you're looking for.   I did not see system information under the Help menu in Vista.

I am running the McAffee Security Center.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D

I'm not sure which system information you're looking for.   I did not see system information under the Help menu in Vista.

I am running the McAffee Security Center.

System Info is the second bottom menu item under the help menu.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

I just tested build 422, and the EQ works for me with this build as well as with 406.  The EQ setting I choose applies on the first try and sticks.

I'm using XP Pro, and use Zonealarm Security Suite with the real-time Virus and Spyware scanning active.

Larry

John Gateley

• Nice haircut

I did not see system information under the Help menu in Vista.

The Help menu in MC, not in Vista.

Can you turn off the virus scanner and try again?

j

Elnrik

• Recent member

Media Center Registered 12.0.404 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows Vista 6.0  (Build 6000)
Intel Core 2 3240 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2095 MB, Free - 1257 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.6000.16575 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.6000 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.6000 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.6000 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-716AL    Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  EQdb (Active)
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

DSP can't be applied to files MC doesn't play natively.  AAC, for example, is played by using the Quicktime engine.

This area of the program is pretty solid.  I don't think we can offer you more help on this. 

Good luck.

Have a nice day.

Elnrik

• Recent member

I've completely uninstalled McAfee - the problem persists.     :-\

Also, I've tried turning off DEP (Data Execution Protection) in Windows Vista, the problem still persists.

I've checked permissions to the program in the installation folder, and permissions are set for both admin and user accounts for full control.

I want to thank you also, for the support so far.   I do appreciate it.

Elnrik

• Recent member

95% of my music library is mp3 and wmv files.   I also have FLAC files, as played by the plug-in provided from your site.   I do not have any AAC files in the library.

DSP can't be applied to files MC doesn't play natively.  AAC, for example, is played by using the Quicktime engine.

This area of the program is pretty solid.  I don't think we can offer you more help on this. 

Good luck.

Have a nice day.
  Thanks, you too.

ElQuia

• World Citizen

I had this problem too. I finnaly solved it UNINSTALLING EqDB and autoEQ plugins.

I have to investigate some more  on the settings for those plugs. What I know is that they permit you to asign individual settings for each song. But I use bassically 2 settings: one for low quality mpsīs (mostly downloaded from the net) and other for the HQ lossless Flacs, WavPackīs and WMAīs that I do from CD or recorded material from LPīs and Cassettes that I am transfering to PC.

So really I donīt NEED those plugs.

Try uninstalling EqDB.

;-)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

Interface Plugins:
  EQdb (Active)

This EQdb plugin is the thing that I'm most suspicious about.
I'm a little unclear on what has and has not been tried here.  Earlier, you said

The only additional plugin running on MC is FLAC, downloaded and installed from your site.

Later, however, you mentioned the EQdb plugin.  Did you ever try uninstalling ALL the "extra" plugins -- i.e. the ones that don't come native with MC?  Some of the plugins you listed, like Library Server and last.fm, are installed by default, but the EQdb plugin is not.  Since this specifically deals with EQing, it's the first thing that I'm suspicious of.  I'm not even clear if this has been tested with Vista, so the problem could be due to any number of aspects pertaining to this plugin and your system.

The problem with troubleshooting what you're describing is that many others such as myself use the built in EQ without any problems, so this issue appears to be something "relatively" unique to your system.  Even ElQuia, who reported seeing the same issue as you earlier, said he solved it by uninstalling some of the manually installed plugins.

If you can narrow down the issue to a problem with a particular plugin, it will really help with getting it fixed.  If it DOES have something to do with this plugin, you might try contacting the author of this particular plugin via the "Third Party Plugin" board.  I'm honestly not sure what JR's policy is when problems are due to thrid-party plugins, so contacting the author is definitely worth trying, as well as posting the specifics of what causes this issue if you can figure them out.

Larry

Elnrik

• Recent member

EQdb was the culprit!   It now works.  Thank you for pointing me to that plugin.   I don't even recall installing it, but now that its gone, it works just fine.

I had to uninstall the EQdb plugin then restart MC before I saw it start to work.

Sorry for the grief!   

Thanks to everyone!

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

EQdb was the culprit!   It now works.  Thank you for pointing me to that plugin.   I don't even recall installing it, but now that its gone, it works just fine.

I had to uninstall the EQdb plugin then restart MC before I saw it start to work.

Sorry for the grief!   

Thanks to everyone!

That's great news that you got it working -- it makes sense that the other EQ plugin would be the culprit.

If this plugin is important to you (or even if it isn't), you might want to post this information in the bug thread, and possibly in the "Third Party Plugin" forum as well.  The author would probably be interested to know that this issue exists with the plugin they developed.

Larry

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

EQdb is a very nice plugin that works exactly like the developer intended. It is supposed to change the equalization according to the saved values. Here are Scot Thompson's instructions:

Installation

Add the field "EQ" to your library using Tools->Options->Library->Add. It should be a Standard String, and I suggest putting it in the Audio category, but that's up to you. If you don't add it yourself, the version 2 plugins will add it for you (but the SDK function adds it to all media types, not just audio).

Run the plugin from Tools->Plugin Manager->Interface Plugins. Select the plugin and hit the "Show" button. The plugin will now appear in the activity tree on the left, under Plugins. Click on EQdb to see the dialog.

Caveats on the current versions

It works for me. May not work for you. No warranty is implied. See the GNU public license.

Usage

Add files to Playing Now. Use the Mixer to select presets or custom EQ settings. Use the Save/Save To All/Remove/Remove From All buttons to save or remove the current Mixer settings to the files in the Playing Now list. The EQ settings are stored as an ASCII string, where "0" (zero) is the highest setting and "n" is the lowest setting. This is the same string that the Mixer uses to store presets in the registry.

As long as the plugin is running (you can stop it from Tools->Plugin Manager->Interface->EQdb->Hide), it will update the EQ settings for each track as it plays. Each track can have it's own settings. You can still turn on and off the Mixer separately.

When the current file has no setting, the plugin defaults to flat EQ settings.

EDIT
You don't need to uninstall EQdb for turning it off. As Scot says, you can just click the "Hide" button in Plug-in Manager.

EDIT 2
I changed the names of the "Start" and "Stop" buttons to "Show" and "Hide" to reflect the wording changes in MC12.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Good to hear.  Would you please update or remove your negative post about MC and the forum on the download.com site?

You were using a third party plug-in and it sounds like it was doing what you had told it to.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

Elnrik,

I read your comments on download.com.

As you can see, I post a lot and log in often. Despite that I didn't notice your question until now. I could have guessed that your problem was caused by EQdb and its intended behavior.

I don't try to answer every question. Especially, if I don't instantly know the answer. I rather wait if someone who knows answers. The same can happen to JRiver staff too. They may decide to wait if they don't know the answer immediately. Some threads may accidentally remain answered.

Since you bumped your own thread on the same day when you started it, it no longer appeared as a zero reply thread and the forum members and admins were more likely to overlook it. In general, it would be better to wait a couple of days before bumping.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

ElQuia

• World Citizen
Re: DSP effects - Equalizer settings won't apply, revert to default [solved]
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 08:39:52 am »

Hello Everybody. The EQdb plug is a nice concept, and it works. It has only one defect that I know off: I have about 8,500 songs in my db. It would be great if the plugin would remember eq settings for those I asign it and leave all others at default, as default is selected in dsp studio. Iīm going to "study" it some more before trying to contact the author. I donīt know if that is possible or not.
Best to all
:-)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 08:57:03 am »

It would be great if the plugin would remember eq settings for those I asign it and leave all others at default, as default is selected in dsp studio. Iīm going to "study" it some more before trying to contact the author. I donīt know if that is possible or not.

I don't think that is possible without changing the plug-in. It replaces the current EQ setting with the stored EQ field value when a new track starts. The applied setting becames "a new default".

It would need to have a system for storing an additional setting and using it when no value is defined in the EQ library field. Ideally, it would have a menu for selecting one the stored settings.

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 09:43:29 am »

Yes, it would require a new version of the plugin. But for it to be useful it is a must. If you have 10 songs in your db no, but letīs see my scenario: 

Example: I have circa 8,500 songs. Remember that a lot of MC users (bah, those of us that Bought it) are sort off "audiophiles" ...
My PC is hooked to an external sound array configed like this: yamaha stereo 14 band Equalizer (does only room equalization, previous white and pink noise analisys). - Caver Sonic Hologram Generator, and a NAD Power Amp.

The songs are Mixed up this way:
1- High Quality  Lossless FLACīs, WavPackīs and WMAīs (still canīt decide on a definitve format (any ideas?)). These DEFINITLY dīont need ANY EQ, with maybe the only exception for a party to give them some "puch". (These are moslty all recorded from my CD collection and the transfer process I am doing from vynil and cassettes).
2- Mid Quality mp3īs and wmaīs (mostly @ 320) ... these may need some EQ. At least for my ears there IS some high requency loss @ 320. I have them because I got them at that bitrate, and they are nice songs, and itīs easy to make cdīs with a lot of songs for the car.
3- Low Quality mp3īs. I have and keep them ONLY because they are nice songs I canīt find anywhere else (oldies, some rare ethnic stuff). These NEED a lot of EQ, and some companding also!

ALSO: when you get some of these from internet, the encoding quality  also varies... some songs that have the SAME bitrate, have better or worse quality.

So .... MC authors and EQ plugins authors: please keep in mind all this ! A lot of us must have this kind of quality mix

Must say that MC is a REALLY COOL PRODUCT. It is VERY well thought and very well updated. I bought it quite a while ago, and use it for music and video (still can't compete with irfan view and acdsee for images). It is NOT an easy product to master, so newbies, please take your time before bashing! ;-)

Be cool.

JONCAT

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 12:57:01 pm »

I'm confused, isn't what your proposing what the EQdb plugin does? Save to all saves the settings to the songs in PlayingNow. Are the settings only applied temporarily?

"As long as the plugin is running (you can stop it from Tools->Plugin Manager->Interface->EQdb->Stop), it will update the EQ settings for each track as it plays. Each track can have it's own settings. You can still turn on and off the Mixer separately.

When the current file has no setting, the plugin defaults to flat EQ settings."

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up