INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burning several MP3s on 1 disc when stored different local folders?  (Read 2502 times)

flabbygums

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...

Hi,

I used to use this software about 7 years ago b4 iTunes. The one thing I don't like most about iTunes and wondering if it's any different w/ MJ12 Jukebox now is this:

If I have a my local media library organized in many folders and want to burn say 150 mp3s to a CD-R, can I without having to put those mp3s into one folder or at the root of a folder structure? Is it smart enough to go grab the files from their respective folders??? iTunes cannot do this. You can't burn 150 mp3 in iTunes without the songs being in one physical place on your hard drive first. Otherwise you get a bunch of folders on your data/mp3 cd and it will never play in a car stereo for eg.

Thanks!

Michael.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Burning several MP3s on 1 disc when stored different local folders?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:40:26 pm »

You can burn any audio files you have in your library to a CD.  I believe you mean you want a data disk, and not an audio CD.

Just drag and drop.  There are some options, but you may not need to set any.

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:43:20 pm »

>>Otherwise you get a bunch of folders on your data/mp3 cd and it will never play in a car stereo for eg.<<

Huh? Perhaps time to consider a different car stereo. I've been using an Alpine 8900 for years and it has no problem playing mp3s from different folders on the CD. Or maybe I just don't understand your problem.

* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3996
* Firefox 122; Thunderbird 115.6.1

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 05:26:41 am »

Whenever I burn an MP3 CD I create a playlist of the files first. This is useful if I need to cancel the burn process for some reason or if I want to use the playlist again later. The statusline on the bottom toolbar can show the total size of the list so it is easy to adjust the file amount according to the disc size.

After that I open the burn Window and drop the playlist there. I use the "Prefix the list order to the CD filename" naming option for keeping the files in the preferred order. (In case of a data CD the playback device or program determines the sort order. Usually HW devices use alphabetical sorting.)

The "prefix" option is under the Custom submenu:

I don't normally create any folders on the CD, but MJ12 has comprehensive options for creating a folder structure if that is needed.

Since I recycle a bunch of CD-RW discs I store all "burn" playlists in a playlist group for future use. The lists are usually carefully composed and I may want to use them again (also for playback in MJ or MC).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 07:01:57 am »

Here's a tip for those who convert from a lossless format:

You could collect the files to a playlist first and use a constant bitrate when transcoding.
Just monitor the total playback time and keep it below the disc limit.

Here is a table of the approximate maximum playback times for a 700 MB disc:

Bitrate       Time
128 kbps   12 h 26 min
160 kbps    9 h 57 min
192 kbps    8 h 17 min
256 kbps    6 h 13 min
320 kbps    4 h 58 min

Leave some safe margin. Files are always a bit bigger than their theoretical size because of the tags.

I have saved my car/portable CD burning playlists. They have been useful afterwards.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up