INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center Server Trouble  (Read 3596 times)

Bulkhead

• Recent member
Media Center Server Trouble
« on: June 15, 2008, 01:48:22 am »

Hey guys,

I upgraded to the latest version, (.514) on both my media server and my client pc, and now have trouble from the client finding and connecting to the media server. I didn't make any other changes and it was working on the prior version I was running. I shut down the media server and restarted it, and similarly shut down the client and restarted, but no resolution.

Any insights?

thx
Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead....

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Media Center Server Trouble
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:12:17 am »

I don't think any changes were made here. How are you connecting? Search for library servers or by fixed IP address. If by fixed, maybe you got a different IP...

j

Bulkhead

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:46:24 pm »

I haven't changed anything except to upgrade to the latest version. I usually search for media servers and allow MC to do the rest.

Now when I try the same, it seems to find the server, and I am presented wit the working dialog box wherein, presumably, it is pulling the library files it needs. However, it never completes that process and I am presented with a different dialog box with an error message: "Media Center failed to load the library 'Search for Library Servers' and will attempt to load the previously selected library."  I just see the "working" dialog, but nothing happens until I get the error message above.

I haven't changed anything, but now get this error.

I believe SOMETHING changed. I certainly don't know what, but something changed..

Any thoughts?

thx

Bulkhead

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 02:56:48 pm »

Jim and others,

I discovered my problem with locating the media server on my network. I recently upgraded my network to gigabit speed and purchased 3 Intel gigabit NICs and 2 switches. 

I enabled Jumbo frames on all the NICs as the switches support the feature.

I didn't realize this was my issue as I also made some other changes (naturally). Today, on a whim, I disabled Jumbo frames, and voila! My MC client was able to find the media server and pull the library.

So, my question is: are there any plans for media center to support Jumbo frames, and what are the advantages / disadvantages of doing so.

Thanks much,

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 03:17:04 pm »

So, my question is: are there any plans for media center to support Jumbo frames, and what are the advantages / disadvantages of doing so.
Thanks for the report.  MC just uses whatever networking is there.  It talks to Windows.  Windows talks to the driver for the network connection, etc.

In any case, it's unlikely that jumbo frames are going to make your life any easier or better.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 08:07:01 pm »

I don't think Jumbo frames would have anything to do with it, though I could be wrong.
Search for Media Servers relies on UDP broadcast, and if your server and client are not on the same segment, it won't work - you'll need to use an IP address instead.

j

Pages: [1]   Go Up