INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: possible app for guitar players  (Read 4817 times)

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
possible app for guitar players
« on: June 20, 2008, 11:57:23 pm »

As I understand Evil Lyrics, when a song plays it looks up the lyrics based on the tags. I know JRiver will not implement the following, they have way too many other things to think about, but what if, when a song starts to play, the song and band name could be automatically entered into the Google search box to look up the chords for the song? Is it possible that a script could do this?

When I'm looking up chords I just type "chords [song] [artist]" and always get many hits. Some are accurate some aren't, you take your chances but I think this would be really cool.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: possible app for guitar players
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 05:16:11 am »

this is what you could do:

right click on a song. go to: send to>send to external>add/edit programm
click add

type in name: chords llok up (or something like that)
in programm Path: iexplore.exe
in parameters: http:////www.google.com//search?q=chords+%22[name]%22+%22[artist]%22

if you have not done it yet it might be handy to raise the right click recent command count, so that the chords lookup will be under your right mouse, one click away.

:)
gab

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 10:54:12 am »

It works great, thanks very much. Is it possible to get this to work with Firefox? Or MC's browser?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 11:44:15 am »

In FF or IE, grab the icon at the beginning of the address window for any web page, and drag it into MC's Start window or any other page that uses IE (Podcasts, etc.).

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 02:00:28 pm »

It's not allowing me to drag it. I changed the path to firefox.exe which opens google but the complete search term is not being pasted, for Dylan's "Most Likely You Go Your Way" I get - chords "Most

the rest of the song title and the  Dylan is not being pasted in. If I manually copy the search string into Firefox and manually replace [name] and [artist] it works

Firefox also opens many tabs.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 02:57:47 pm »

try putting quotes around name and artist:

http:////www.google.com//search?q=chords+%22"[name]"%22+%22"[artist]"%22

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 03:14:39 pm »

That did it! Now maybe I'll actually learn to play this thing.

gappie

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 03:31:51 pm »

yes, for firefox, the quotes could be helpfull. with ie, the quotes give some strange results, actually i thought the %22 are there for the quotes.. nice that it works for you though.

gab

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 09:14:42 am »

I don't suppose there is a way to automate this so it happens every time a song plays?

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 10:18:04 am »

Got it working with Firefox, no more pop ups, also now have "ulimate-guitar" in the search box and the first search result goes there; have another one for AZ chords. 

If I type a search string with artist, song, chords and ultimate-guitar, and use Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky" I almost always get a good result going directly to a chord page. Anyone know how to get IFL to work from a path typed into the address bar?

BTW this technique could be used for other things, for example looking up Artist Info for songs/artists not Playing Now.  Probably a lot of other things with some imagination.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 10:47:02 am »

I know Firefox has macro add-ons. I wonder if it would somehow be possible to have one automatically click on the first result in a search. Will look around but I doubt it.

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 08:49:49 am »

This is a great idea.  I can't wait to try to find tabs like this.  Thanks!

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 11:19:30 am »

Even though I can't get it to go directly to ultimate-guitar, it's just one extra click to get there.

This is what has worked for me. For a general Google search, use this

Path - firefox.exe

parameters - http:////www.google.com//search?q=chords+%22"[name]"%22+%22"[artist]"%22

(you might want to change "chords" to "tabs")

for ultimate-guitar, just add "ultimate-guitar.com" to the search (don't forget the + sign], I've also had good luck with AZchords.com

Know any other good sites?

I'm going to add a similiar search for allmusic.com and wikipedia to look up artist info for songs not now playing (I don't think you can do that now).

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 12:41:54 pm »

Thought of another idea, you could search for Artist's websites. "I'm Feeling Lucky" might actually work for that. Or you could just use "[artist].com" in parameters.

Maybe I should start a new thread, I'm sure others have many cool things they do with "send to external program".

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 11:30:56 pm »

deleted post

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 02:57:38 pm »

Mabes-
I'm not sure if you've made any further progress with this, but I was able to set it up so it opens the tab directly rather than using the google search (Thanks to Marko for help with getting the parameter correct):

1. To set it up Right Click on any song and select Send To->Send To (external)->Add/Edit Programs. 

2. When the Manage External Tools window opens, click on the Add button.

3. Fill in the boxes as follows:

Name: Guitar Tab Universe
Program Path: iexplore.exe
Parameters: http:////www.guitartabs.cc//tabs//mid([artist])//replace([Artist],/ ,_)//replace([Name],/ ,_)_tab.html

4. Now whenever you want the tab for a song, just right click on the song and select Send To->Send To (external)->Guitar Tab Universe

Once you do step 4, You can right click on another song and Guitar Tab Universe will be the at the top of the list on the right click menu.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 02:50:58 am »

and of course, if any of you are using MC13, you will be able to add a link directly onto the new links bar, so you only have one click and you're there, as opposed to all that right click > send to... > external > stuff :)

-marko

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 10:31:58 am »

Mabes-
I'm not sure if you've made any further progress with this, but I was able to set it up so it opens the tab directly rather than using the google search (Thanks to Marko for help with getting the parameter correct):

1. To set it up Right Click on any song and select Send To->Send To (external)->Add/Edit Programs. 

2. When the Manage External Tools window opens, click on the Add button.

3. Fill in the boxes as follows:

Name: Guitar Tab Universe
Program Path: iexplore.exe
Parameters: http:////www.guitartabs.cc//tabs//mid([artist])//replace([Artist],/ ,_)//replace([Name],/ ,_)_tab.html

4. Now whenever you want the tab for a song, just right click on the song and select Send To->Send To (external)->Guitar Tab Universe

Once you do step 4, You can right click on another song and Guitar Tab Universe will be the at the top of the list on the right click menu.

Look forward to trying it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up