INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art size question.  (Read 8219 times)

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
Cover art size question.
« on: July 10, 2008, 07:41:20 pm »

I have put a lot of time into finding the best quality covers that I can. I save them into the tag and also as folder.jpg in the folders.
Why when I right click cover art/paste from clipboard does media juke box change my nice pictures into a small 200x200 version?
His mind is not for rent..to any god or government

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Cover art size question.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 06:48:56 am »

I don't think Media Jukebox has any program code that would resize existing folder.jpg files.

MS Windows Media Player 11 can resize existing folder.jpg files to 200x200 without asking any confirmation. Also Vista may have Explorer related features that use the same "folder.jpg" code with WMP11, but I have experience of that because I use XP.

Naturally, if you actually paste a 200x200 file from clipboard MJ may replace an existing bigger file on the disk if you have chosen to use the "folder.jpg" for cover art name in the file naming options.

In general, I think the naming option "Artist - Album.jpg" is safer than "folder.jpg" because other programs don't normally use or accidently overwrite such files. I have never had any problems with my "Artist - Album.jpg" cover art files. I also like the fact that the "Artist - Album.jpg" files are identifiable by the filenames.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:00:25 am »

It's not MJ doing it.  Search on google for folder.jpg resize wmp.  You'll see the problem discussed.

To fix the issue, try right clicking on a file with bad cover art and do Cover Art/Get from Internet.

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 07:29:17 am »

Strange, I haven't been using wmp.  For instance I pasted a picture yesterday that was 500x500, after I went to the folder to check it, it had become 200x200. I wonder if maybe wmp has some process running in the background.

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 06:53:52 pm »

It does seem the either windows Media Player or Windows Media Center are the culprits, probably both.

I created a few new Artist/album folders and placed new art into them.

A few seconds later the art was resized and in the folders were the hidden large and small versions of the art, that wmp/wmc use.

Neither of these programs were running or being used, but there was a few different Windows Media Center processes that always run in the background.

I Guess the best thing to do is stop using the folder.jpg name that Microsoft thinks it owns rights to.

Thanks for the above suggestions, the Google search did show a bunch of upset people with the same problem.

ajua

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 03:37:13 am »

I've never heard of this before. I have been using Album Art.jpg for cover art (also i embed the cover in tags).

It is a good thing to stop using folder.jpg.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 04:00:15 am »

With MC it is best to use one of the default naming options.

Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art > In the same folder as file [Artist] - [Album].jpg

-- would save the cover art files in the audio file's folder and automatically use the [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album] naming rule.

The Album Artist (auto) field is used instead of Artist so that various artists albums can have a single cover art file.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 06:25:45 am »

With MC it is best to use one of the default naming options.

Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art > In the same folder as file [Artist] - [Albuim].jpg

-- would save the cover art files in the audio file's folder and automatically use the [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album] naming rule.

The Album Artist (auto) field is used instead of Artist so that various artists albums can have a single cover art file.

But how do I set that rule to 'Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art > In the same folder as file [Artist] - [Album].jpg' instead of the default 'Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art > In the same folder as file (as Folder.jpg)'?

Update:
Found it!!
A day without laughing is a day without living

that_stevens_guy

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 11:27:58 pm »

I actually have my own cover art question, I spent yesterday getting cover art for all my albums, and some of the ones online were like 1400x1400, with no other available. I was wondering if MediaJukebox, could have a .jpg compressor for the cover art... so you can define the size you want, and the quality percentage, maybe even a target file size... and some crop options. I personally like 500x500 at about 80kb.

This way the cover art will all be around the same size even if they are from a larger source. I had some cover art that was almost over a megabyte and had to go through manually compressing and adding about 10-20 albums worth.

Also in the internet cover art program. It would be nice to be able to drag around and add other cover art to the list. Both from a folder on the computer, maybe a url, or from 'disc 1' of an album. I have a few cases where the cover art is identical for both discs, but the online lookup found a less quality version for 'disc 2', would be nice to drag the one from 'disc 1' over.

Just a couple of ideas I had anyway. This program really is great for library management, and more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up