INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fullscreen video not showing  (Read 3813 times)

rogueblue

• World Citizen
Fullscreen video not showing
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:47:04 pm »

I hired a movie last night. It was visible on the small display (when by the action window), but everytime I double clicked it to enlarge it to fullscreen view, then there was nothing visible. Just a blank fullscreen display, even although the movie was playing ... I could hear the sound.
I tried going to theatre view and play it from there. For some reason that did work in fullscreen mode.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Fullscreen video not showing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:36:56 pm »

Which video renderer did you choose?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:45:06 pm »

Odd.  What video card, operating system, and were there any secondary/multiple displays involved in any way?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 12:21:14 am »

Which video renderer did you choose?

It was the default video renderer, I hadn't changed anything in the settings.

Odd.  What video card, operating system, and were there any secondary/multiple displays involved in any way?

Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS. Windows XP SP2. And single lcd monitor.

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:00:05 am »

Do you have two monitors?  If so maybe you have the zone set up to display fullscreen on the second monitor.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 10:38:35 am »

Do you have two monitors?  If so maybe you have the zone set up to display fullscreen on the second monitor.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I'm only using a single lcd monitor.

I've put in a few other dvd's to test, and the same thing is happening???

There seems to be a quick flash sometimes of the video image that is supposed to be there in fullscreen, but then it disappears.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:49:37 am »

XP?  That is really odd.

I'd try three things:

1. Update your drivers.  Go here and get the latest forceware: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

2. There have been a couple of fixes in Quartz.dll (the directshow renderer) in XP SP3.  I would strongly recommend trying the update.  SP3 isn't anywhere near as scary as the switch from SP1 to SP2 was in XP.  SP3 fixed a major video playback problem I've been having with my DVR application for a long, long time.

3. In MC start one of these files playing back and right click in the (blank) playing now area.  Choose Directshow Filters --> Select Filters.  Try switching the Video Renderer to all of the different options, one at a time.  You may need to stop/restart playback for it to take effect after you switch it.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 11:03:41 am »

XP?  That is really odd.

I'd try three things:

1. Update your drivers.  Go here and get the latest forceware: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

2. There have been a couple of fixes in Quartz.dll (the directshow renderer) in XP SP3.  I would strongly recommend trying the update.  SP3 isn't anywhere near as scary as the switch from SP1 to SP2 was in XP.  SP3 fixed a major video playback problem I've been having with my DVR application for a long, long time.

3. In MC start one of these files playing back and right click in the (blank) playing now area.  Choose Directshow Filters --> Select Filters.  Try switching the Video Renderer to all of the different options, one at a time.  You may need to stop/restart playback for it to take effect after you switch it.

Hi Glynor

I "think" I might have found what was causing it...

I tried unticking "Use FFDShow video decoder for post processing" ( I'm not sure if it is ticked or not by default.)

By doing that, it now seems to work.

When should "Use FFDShow video decoder for post processing" be ticked, or is it better to just leave it unticked?
Is this setting a possible problem setting?

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 11:28:41 am »

When should "Use FFDShow video decoder for post processing" be ticked, or is it better to just leave it unticked?
Is this setting a possible problem setting?

Absolutely.  That is an advanced setting that is certainly best left for "if you know what you're doing".  It is absolutely not enabled by default.

What it does is route all video through the FFDSHOW filter in order to allow you to use FFDSHOW's advanced filtering methods (sharpening, rescaling, color correction, etc) even when FFDSHOW isn't being used to decode the video.  It adds an extra stage into the decoding pipeline.

Now, normally it shouldn't cause blank display if it got accidentally turned on.  You must also have some odd settings in the FFDSHOW decoder dialog (or a conflicting video card driver).  I'd suggest resetting the FFDSHOW Video Decoder back to it's defaults.  If you use CCCP you can do this through the CCCP settings application -- just check the "Reset All Settings" checkmark on page two of the dialog and click Apply.

You may want to also update your Nvidia drivers as well, if you haven't done that in the past two months or so.

Glad you got it figured out though!

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 11:29:29 am »

Well, I take it back, I was sadly wrong  :(, the problem still exists. ?

And I have also downloaded and installed the latest Forceware.

Next I'll "Try switching the Video Renderer to all of the different options, one at a time. "

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 11:33:06 am »

Well, I take it back, I was sadly wrong

What happened?  Did it work for a minute and then go black or something?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 11:34:40 am »

Also make sure the "Use Bitrate Monitor" option is unchecked.

In my instructions above, I gave the wrong advice on switching the renderer.  I would still switch it, but for DVD playback you do it a different way.  Go to Options --> Playback --> Video --> DVD Playback Settings.  Sorry... Forgot that we were talking about DVD Playback.

Also, when you're in there, what is listed in the Video Decoder drop down (not just the selected one, but the whole list)?

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 11:48:54 am »

What happened?  Did it work for a minute and then go black or something?

Yeah, worked for a while, but just playing with the stop, start and play buttons, it just disappeared again. FDDShow is now unchecked.
Also make sure the "Use Bitrate Monitor" option is unchecked.

In my instructions above, I gave the wrong advice on switching the renderer.  I would still switch it, but for DVD playback you do it a different way.  Go to Options --> Playback --> Video --> DVD Playback Settings.  Sorry... Forgot that we were talking about DVD Playback.

Also, when you're in there, what is listed in the Video Decoder drop down (not just the selected one, but the whole list)?

hm the list....

On "automatic"
rest ...
FDDShow video decoder
Cyberlink vide/sp decoder
Sonic Cinemaster decoder
FDDSHow raw video filter
Sonic mpeg 1 & 2 decoder
Nero subpicture decoder

"Use Bitrate Monitor" option is unchecked

In the "Configure video mixing renderer" settings, I checked "Dynamic Decimation" , and Now it seems to work ... again, but will have to see if it stays.

Should "Dynamic Decimation" be ticked??

I'm also using the "K-Lite Pack" if that makes any difference..

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 02:10:34 pm »

Should "Dynamic Decimation" be ticked??

When it is checked, the video renderer automatically reduces the video's resolution by half to make it less than the resolution of your display. It is used when playing hi resolution video on lower resolution display. This option should not be used unless you can not make video work without it, because it degrades the video quality.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 02:21:56 pm »

When it is checked, the video renderer automatically reduces the video's resolution by half to make it less than the resolution of your display. It is used when playing hi resolution video on lower resolution display. This option should not be used unless you can not make video work without it, because it degrades the video quality.

Oh Sheesh!! ? Now I don't know what to say.... or do...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 02:29:47 pm »

Oh Sheesh!! ? Now I don't know what to say.... or do...

Could it be that your display is indeed not up to the job and you have to use this option to play it fullscreen?

You can also try manually select a video renderer - starting with Legacy Video Renderer, then Video Mixing Renderer 7. Video Mixing Renderer 9. Do not use VMR9 Renderless mode as it's support is still in early stage and there are some issues to be solved.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 03:41:29 pm »

Hmm... I agree with Yaobing.  Try each of the different Video renderers.

However, I will also say this.  I have had SEVERE DVD decoding problems in the past with that Sonic Cinemaster decoder and the Sonic MPEG 1&2 decoder filters installed, even when they weren't being actively used.  I think they're doing some DRM trickery or something, or just very badly coded.

Do you actually use the Sonic software installed on your system?  I'd bet it is there because you have a Dell or something, and Sonic was the included CD/DVD Burning software.  You could try uninstalling the Sonic-branded Video software (not the regular burner stuff, but the "extra" Video players and DVD Studio stuff) if you don't actually use it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up