INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Customize View  (Read 6379 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
NEW: Customize View
« on: September 09, 2008, 02:12:34 pm »

MC12 had a way to change the details of what you view.  It was called Edit View Schemes.

That dialog is replaced in MC13 with Customize View:

It changes slightly, depending on what view you are customizing.

In some views, it asks you whether you're changing the top or the bottom.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
Re: NEW: Customize View
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 05:54:01 pm »

Slight problem:

Saving a view gives you the option of browsing to put it where you like.
When loading a view, no such Browse option, you can only load from the pre-specified location.

Abby

• Recent member
  • Principal Engineer, Streaming Media Technologies
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:46:09 am »

Looking forward to the new version!  Something I've always wished for is the ability to view both cover art and the details list.  I'm almost always in the details list, but I spent so much time setting up cover art for everything - I hate that I never get a chance to see it (beyond that that itty bitty tiny little icon in the details list :P )

It would be awesome to have MC display the cover art for the currently playing song in a big, prominent way (not just a stack with a random cover art on top) along with the songs details (artist, name, rating) so you had a nice visual on what you were currently listening to.  But, then also the details for upcoming songs somewhere else on the screen.

Will MC13's new customize view allow for anything like this?

Thanks!
Abby

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:43:52 am »

Just open 2 Now Playing windows. I like to have one with a big thumbnail of the currently playing track, smaller thumbnails for upcoming ones.

pank2002

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 12:49:13 pm »

It would be awesome to have MC display the cover art for the currently playing song in a big, prominent way (not just a stack with a random cover art on top) along with the songs details (artist, name, rating) so you had a nice visual on what you were currently listening to.  But, then also the details for upcoming songs somewhere else on the screen.
Like this?
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 04:57:30 pm »

I really like this new the new Save and Load view functions and the new "Customize view..." panel.
Some small issues/improvements :
- It would be great to be able to load a saved view without having to open the "Customize view..." panel.
- I think the advanced options dealing with the view content (like "Rules for file display...") should not be saved with the view. The "What is displayed" and the "How it is displayed" parts should be more clearly separated. It would allow to set a saved view on a view scheme without changing the content (previous remark). But a function to quickly change the rules (in the same way as the display options : save and load predefined filters for example) could be a nice and very complementary addition (I shoud put that in the wish list...)
- When saving this view to an existing view using the Browse button : the name of the view is not loaded and you are obliged to type it each time.
- No top view "Album details" (only Album- Disc). Why ?...

MC13 looks very promising so far, thanks again.

Raph

drc

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:50:32 pm »

my issue involves the use of Tabs.

In MC 12, I had 2 tabs created in Split view that would show me the current image playing and the next tab showed a list of songs sheduled to play (i have images, don't know how to forward/insert them); however...the problem I'm having is

1.  With the two tabs in place, if i go to google or the images in MC13, instead of adding a 3rd tab, it takes over one of the two tabs...the further I drill down into say google, the more it becomes difficult to get back to the original tabs...It seems there should be an option to add tabs, instead of taking over established tabs like if your in Firefox...again the pictures would make it simplier to explain...

2.  My custom view, which may be part of the problem, does not give me the option (show categories in this order) as shown in your diagram.

The only option I get are the 3 listed...

View As
Group By
Sort

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:53:50 pm »

Well, I went 13.  Finally finished the project tonight, or at least most of the way.  Still need to bump/install 13 on the server machine here and the Office PC, but I can get that done tomorrow (and the Server box hardly ever actually uses MC).  I noticed one issue with the Customize View dialog while working on the library reconfig, though...

If you uncheck "Allow Tree Selection" in Customize View on a View that is not one of the main top-level Views (not Audio, Video, or Images), you lose the ability to collapse the view by clicking on it's Disclosure Triangle.  The View always stays "open" from then on, unless you close and re-open it's parent View.  This makes sense for the Top-Level schemes because you can't really collapse them and still use them.

However, in my new Library setup, I have a couple of Views that act sort of like "folders" for other sets of Views (Imports, for example, which has a bunch of child Views that show my recent imports in different ways) but which are themselves children of the top-level schemes.  So, my Audio View has an Imports child, which contains a whole set of Imports-related Views.  It'd be nice to set the Imports child-view to not allow tree selection, but I still want to be able to Collapse that view when I'm not using it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 05:14:40 pm »

Doesn't seem possible to create a root view scheme at the moment?

Showing Playing Now, View -> Add Library View shows you an empty Views box, where you can click either OK or Cancel, both of which will delete the newly created view.

Also, it's a tad non-intuitive to name any new View Scheme.  There's no name section under 'Customize View', so you have to select it afterwards and select rename...'

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 01:18:01 am »

Doesn't seem possible to create a root view scheme at the moment?

Showing Playing Now, View -> Add Library View shows you an empty Views box, where you can click either OK or Cancel, both of which will delete the newly created view.

Also, it's a tad non-intuitive to name any new View Scheme.  There's no name section under 'Customize View', so you have to select it afterwards and select rename...'
Correct on both observations. I'm sure these will be addressed later on.
In the meantime, if you're keen to add a root view scheme, you can download the attached zip file and extract the file it contains to your 'saved views' folder. The default location on windows xp is: C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 13\Library\Saved Views
If the folder is not there, create it.
Now, when you try adding a root view, you should see a 'date imported' view scheme in the view selector. Add that, then customise it to suit your needs.

-marko.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 03:51:39 am »

Thanks marko, I'd already tried saving my own view somewhere else and seeing if it appeared in the View Selector, and have just tried extracting yours to that location too, but still it shows nothing :-\

In my case, I'm not too worried for the moment, as for the most part as yet I'm sticking with MC12, just using MC13 to try out any interesting new features ;D

And for that reason, I suspect the easiest way for me to add a new root view would be by adding it in MC12 and then backing up and restoring my library :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 04:06:31 am »

that should work. the key to a view showing up in the selctor is it's visible media types. That attached view includes audio, image, video and data.

if you follow your own suggestion, then open that view for editing, and save it, then that view should be available next time you try.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 04:41:08 am »

if you follow your own suggestion, then open that view for editing, and save it, then that view should be available next time you try.

Yep, that works :)  I thought I'd tried that, although on second attempt I remembered why I forgot: I get a crash if I try and add a new view to one of my own created root views (not that this was what I was meant to be trying anyway, but I forgot to select Playing Now, and then by the time I'd got it started up again had forgotten what I was doing)

Cheers marko! :)

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 04:53:07 am »

That attached view includes ... and data.

That was the difference.  I don't have any data files in my library, so it didn't like the fact that your view could show data.  I tried enabling data media mode and importing a pdf file, and then your view worked.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 02:59:12 pm »

I was going to try to upload a view into a Wiki article describing how to create a referenceID view:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/CD_Reference_Number

but found that the wiki does not allow .jvi or .zip files to be uploaded.

I think I recall seeing other's talking about the ability to share view schemes.  Would this be useful, and if so, what might be the best way to accomplish this.

I wondered what would happen if another user imported a view that referenced custom fields?  Would the import or view fail?  Would the custom field be created?  Would time stop?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Sarane

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 05:38:30 am »

Hello,

Just installed 13.0.119 and i have a question concerning the customize view.

I am using a standard category drill down (Genre, Artist, Album). In version 12, I was able to have a different view for each categories. For examples, Thumbnails for Genre and Details for Artist.   In 13, when a change a view, it applies to all categories. Is it normal or am i doing something wrong?

Thx.

Sarane.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 08:16:26 am »

It's normal for 13, you are not doing anything wrong.

For me, and many others it seems, the v12 system was far superior to this 'stuck on rails' system that v13 has adopted.

-marko.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 10:51:13 am »

I'd also prefer to set the view type at each level of view. It has improved somewhat in that there was only one view type for all views, but this was changed a week or so back so at least it remebers the view type for each view. Any chance of this being extended to remember the view type at each level?
Pages: [1]   Go Up