INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art Database - Functionality question and suggestions  (Read 4285 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Cover Art Database - Functionality question and suggestions
« on: October 15, 2008, 01:41:19 pm »

First of, I gotta hand it to you. The cover art database has REALLY improved lately. Wonder if it have something to do with default settings during installation?  ;) Good thing though. Mostly...

Only problem now is that there are up to 10 or more alternatives for many albums. Just found one with 25 alternatives! Choises is a good thing, but not at any cost. It takes time looking through this cover arts, and alot of them is of really bad quality, and it fill up you're servers unnesessary. Are there any functions present today, to exlude this bad cover arts as time passes and no one downloads them? Or would it be possible to have some kind of thumbs up or down for each cover art in the Get Cover Art box, so we can vote the cover art up in the list or out?

I also think it would be great to have a button to submit cover art to the database from the Get Cover Art box. Would make it really easy to upload a cover art that do not exist in the database. It's not allways that the coveart you have is bad, but rather that you want to see if there is anything better available. I know there is a option to submit the art via the same meny as to get cover art, but this makes it much more likely that people would actually do it.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cover Art Database - Functionality question and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 02:03:13 pm »

When you select one of the covers, you are voting for it.  Covers with many votes rise to the top.

MC will automatically select what it thinks is the best, but you can choose another one if you prefer.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:47:22 pm »

I also think it would be great to have a button to submit cover art to the database from the Get Cover Art box.

It submits your local version when you select "Your Library" and press "Save Cover Art". You can verify that by checking it once again (a submitted image is labeled as "also on server").

Though, if the user presses cancel it will not be submitted. MC has several places where brief instructions either directly in the tool's window area or in a tooltip would be most helpful. This is one of such places.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 05:01:19 pm »

When you select one of the covers, you are voting for it.  Covers with many votes rise to the top.

MC will automatically select what it thinks is the best, but you can choose another one if you prefer.
That's good news! Voting up is the most important thing. At least when it comes to automatic cover art lookup.

It submits your local version when you select "Your Library" and press "Save Cover Art". You can verify that by checking it once again (a submitted image is labeled as "also on server").

Though, if the user presses cancel it will not be submitted. MC has several places where brief instructions either directly in the tool's window area or in a tooltip would be most helpful. This is one of such places.
Great. Most of the functions I wanted is obviously here then. It could be a bit more obviouse that it saves to the database maby? But it's not a big deal.

A way to vote out the worst cover arts would help to a bit to though. Especialy when there are few covers and they are just wrong and wrong.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 05:21:30 pm »

A way to vote out the worst cover arts would help to a bit to though. Especialy when there are few covers and they are just wrong and wrong.

There's a button for "report offensive image".  Would staff be opposed to us using that for incorrect images?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 05:32:12 pm »

There's a button for "report offensive image".  Would staff be opposed to us using that for incorrect images?

Definitely.  Strongly opposed.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:46:23 pm »

Definitely.  Strongly opposed.

That's what I figured.
Perhaps down the road a new button for reporting incorrect art then?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 09:40:30 pm »

The voting system should take care of that.  If the cover art is bad, presumably people won't choose it.  Eventually, it will disappear.

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 03:11:42 am »

The voting system should take care of that.  If the cover art is bad, presumably people won't choose it.  Eventually, it will disappear.

What happens when the art is downloaded through automatic cover art lookup? Do it get a vote then?
I hope not. That would be a major problem if the Album just have wrong or very bad cover art.

Down the line I hope there will be a voting button to dump bad cover art, so we could get ridd of the worst ones faster. I've have downloaded art I thought was good, but in reallity it looks worst than my smaller cover art. Even though it's big in KB and pixels and looks good in the preview. Sometimes you can't really see how bad it is before you download it and blow it up to max size. And then it allready has you're vote. A way to go back and say, "Hey, this just don't cut it", and hit the Dump button with a double negative vote effect, wich makes it go out of the system faster; that would make the database more accurate and cleaner.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 06:49:40 am »

For competitive reasons, we can't provide details on how this works.  We did consider a lot of factors and spent a lot of time tuning it.  Please use it for a while and report any problems you find.

Remember that it is only about 6 months old, and the data and selection will continue to improve.

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 03:51:46 pm »

I'll try to be patient.

raldo

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 03:59:14 pm »

One "issue" is that if you select a lot of files, and select "get from internet.." it seems to be taking longer and longer time to update between each page.

It seems as if the sw somehow counts from the beginning when you OK each page...

---

Apart from that, I think it works quite well and my impression is that the DB has been getting better and better.

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MC rocks ... keep up your good work!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 03:24:57 am »

Currently I have lots of compilation. For those MC does not find a cover art because the combination is Artist and Album. I  request the cover art engine to also support to search by Artist and Title or allow the user choose. This has been nagging me since I'm on MC, it never worked well for compilations or singles.

I already mentioned this in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=48537.0

Would be great if that could be added.

Thanks
Dom
Media Center 12.X/13.x
Handheld: IPOD 60GB, Creative Vision:M
Media Receiver: DLink DSM-320
Pages: [1]   Go Up