INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server specs  (Read 1623 times)

malcolmm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Wad Up! I'm a simple man :)
Server specs
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:58:44 am »

Benn

do you have time to explain your "server".

Is it simply an external HD?

I have 3 copies of my library (I use InSync) to update changes to the drive I'm working on, which results in identical replicas of the original drive.

Sometimes I feel disadvantaged cause I haven't taken on board the common gargon. ie "server"

I get promos from Dell advertising/offering "servers" and I don't know what the hell they're talking about  ?

Cheers, Mal from Cessnock Au

Cheers, Malcolm

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Server specs
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:32:19 am »

Anything that you have data being accessed from multiple computers could be considered a server.  It's a loose word that can describe a web server, email server, data server, application server, database server, etc.  Mine is an all purpose server because I use a lot of server services but none of them require a dedicated box because there isn't enough traffic.

My server is simply a server-class rackmount case with all the computer components you need (CPU, motherboard, memory) and the case happens to have 16 hot-swappable hard drive bays.  I have them all filled with 500GB drives.  Then, I have a Promise RAID card (PCI-express) which plugs into all 16 of the drives and gives me a 7TB data drive.  It is actually 8TB (8 * 500) but two of the drives go to parity.  So, if two drives fail, I won't lose any data.

Unfortunately, I'm literally almost out of free space.  So I am contemplating building a new 21TB server.  I want to find a buyer for this one, first, because otherwise it may just sit--what a waste.  I had about 1.3TB free up until perhaps 8 months ago when it started diminishing quickly.  I'm down to about 100GB free right now--out of 7,000 total gigabytes.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
Server specs
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 02:38:43 pm »

Looking for a buyer, hey?  ;)  That's quite a system.  What are you hoping to get for it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Server specs
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 02:43:09 pm »

This forum is not the right place to offer hardware for sale.  Locking this thread.  Please use a PM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up