INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV on ethernet  (Read 5812 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
TV on ethernet
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:38:19 pm »

Is there a hardware box that can put coax television on the ethernet network?  I envision a box with, perhaps, 3 tuners.  Then, from any MC box around the house, I should be able to watch television.  This way, I can add a single hardware box and provide television to all PCs--not to mention possibly being able to view my channels over the internet.  Does slingbox do some of this?  The key would be to link such a device with MC.  Finally, the biggest advantage I can see is that the computers that don't have access to coax would still get internet.  It's worth a lot to run ethernet--vital even--but running coax is a bigger pain and secondary.

Each PC could then utilize dual tuners if needed--in a queue fashion....shared resources.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: TV on ethernet
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 06:45:09 pm »

You could use cheap USB HD digital TV sticks on each PC and hook them up to one antenna.  MC will work with them. 

MC will support more than one stick per PC.

I like Pinnacle sticks.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 10:36:56 am »

Related question. I should be able to get FIOS soon. I want to connect 2 monitors, not TVs. For one, it will just be connected to a DVR with HDMI and not have anything to do with MC13. For the other, I want to get both TV and the computer/internet. I assume you just press a button to switch, but how will MC work with all this.  With FIOS you can use a USB port, is that all I need?

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 01:21:03 pm »

I just found out with FIOS, in order to get the computer and TV on the same monitor, I need a cable card, but with a cable card I can't get use their DVR.  Can I record to an HD with MC, or will I need to add a TV tuner?

benn600

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 05:47:51 pm »

...and how about a hardware tuner box like I am interested in?  It would work great for my needs.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 09:48:50 am »

I just found out with FIOS, in order to get the computer and TV on the same monitor, I need a cable card, but with a cable card I can't get use their DVR.  Can I record to an HD with MC, or will I need to add a TV tuner?

That's the same question I have...  what's the best way to get FIOS on my computer.  If you come up with what you think is the best hardware, please let me know.

benn600

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 10:31:53 am »

I guess it's only fair we get off topic because I steal threads from others time after time after time.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 06:44:53 pm »

I've been looking into SLingbox, you can access a DVR anywhere you have an internet connection. Don't know about MC though.

benn600

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 10:05:51 pm »

What I seek would, in its simplest form, just take antenna/cable television (Coax) and put it on your digital Ethernet network.  So, while I'm after a very complex device, in its most basic form, all I want is a box that can plug into coax and then Ethernet.  Then, on another computer with Ethernet access only, provide direct access to your antenna channels over the digital Ethernet line.  Perhaps gigabit Ethernet would have some trouble handling HD video?  This seems highly unlikely.

benn600

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 02:48:07 pm »

Solved.  The solution is one or more HDHomeRun boxes by Silicon Dust.
Pages: [1]   Go Up